Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our mysterious friend at it again

Our mysterious friend at it again

Remember the mysterious Johnny Smith on twitter. Well he has posted that news coming soon that reds will have minimum of one COCO on roster maybe Two hmmmmmm????
    Last edited by wvreds; 12-23-2011 at 02:54 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Our mysterious friend at it again

I dont mind cordero coming back as long as its fairly cheap and as for coco crisp id rather pass unless he's just a 4th OF. lifetime .275/.330/.406

It's probably Cordero, since we seem to be the only suitor. For how long, who knows.

Agreed. Not sure Crisp is an upgrade over the current Reds starters. Cordero would be ok with me for the right amount of dollars and if it only a year or two with the 2nd year being a team option. He's going to be 36 in May so he's really at the end.
    Last edited by SidneySlicker; 12-23-2011 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    It's probably Cordero, since we seem to be the only suitor. For how long, who knows.
    Anything longer than a week is too long for me. He was toast at the end of last year. In 2011 he switched from flamethrower to finesse pitcher. he lost 1.5 MPH off his fastball (94.5 to 93.0 per Fangraphs). In 2010 he threw his hard stuff (fastball/slider) 93.3% off the team. His offspeed pitches 6.7%. In 2011 he threw his hard stuff just 71.3%. His offspeed pitches 28.7%. Never in his career had he thrown his curve ball more than 0.9% in a season. Last year 9.8% I recall several games in September that a line drive right at someone turned into a double play saved his carcass. His BABIP in 2011 was .214, as compared to .291 lifetime. His LOB% last year was 82.3% as opposed to 76.9%. I don't think he can repeat those numbers.

No, thank you very much.

EDIT: Okay, 93.0 for a fastball isn't exactly finesse pitcher territory. But if the trend on losing MPHs off his fastball continues, I don't want to see him in Reds' uniform for the next two years.
    Last edited by texasdave; 12-23-2011 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Anything longer than a week is too long for me. He was toast at the end of last year. In 2011 he switched from flamethrower to finesse pitcher. he lost 1.5 MPH off his fastball (94.5 to 93.0 per Fangraphs). In 2010 he threw his hard stuff (fastball/slider) 93.3% off the team. His offspeed pitches 6.7%. In 2011 he threw his hard stuff just 71.3%. His offspeed pitches 28.7%. Never in his career had he thrown his curve ball more than 0.9% in a season. Last year 9.8% I recall several games in September that a line drive right at someone turned into a double play saved his carcass. His BABIP in 2011 was .214, as compared to .291 lifetime. His LOB% last year was 82.3% as opposed to 76.9%. I don't think he can repeat those numbers.

No, thank you very much.

EDIT: Okay, 93.0 for a fastball isn't exactly finesse pitcher territory. But if the trend on losing MPHs off his fastball continues, I don't want to see him in Reds' uniform for the next two years.
    Okay of NO on Co-Co then what options on the FA market can the Reds afford?

If Chapman is going to start, sign Cordero, please?
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Gary Redus Ruled

Coco Crisp and Cordero...hmm. Eh I'll take it as we now have very few chips left to trade. Crisp could lead off, steal some bags and play good d in left. He also has a little pop and the GABP would serve him well, while Cordero could bang out 30 saves at a decent rate as we are his only suitor.
    Last edited by Redus; 12-25-2011 at 09:33 PM.
    Hoping for another Reds October

Quote Originally Posted by Redus View Post
    Coco Crisp and Cordero...hmm. Eh I'll take it as we now have very few chips left to trade. Crisp could lead off, steal some bags and play good d in left. He also has a little pop and the GABP would serve him well, while Cordero could bang out 30 saves at a decent rate as we are his only suitor.
    plz no

Loyal lurker since '99

I follow JohnnySmith28 on Twitter and I see no mention of these tweets you describe. Can you clarify where you saw this?
    "It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone." - A. Bartlett Giamatti

Quote Originally Posted by Pitchout View Post
    I follow JohnnySmith28 on Twitter and I see no mention of these tweets you describe. Can you clarify where you saw this?
    I did a search for his mentions and find some RT of his tweet. it seems Johnny deleted the tweet.

Loyal lurker since '99

Interesting, thanks. Appreciate the info.
    "It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone." - A. Bartlett Giamatti

Coco Crisp is scraping the bottom of the barrel

He is our new Willy Taveras who was our new Corey Patterson who was our new Norris Hopper who was our new Ryan Freel

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post

He is our new Willy Taveras who was our new Corey Patterson who was our new Norris Hopper who was our new Ryan Freel
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post

I'm not sure that's entirely fair. There are legitimate concerns about Crisp's ability to stay healthy, and perhaps about how a player with his skillset might age, but he has three seasons of four or more WAR, which gives him a much more solid resume than Taveras, Patterson, Hopper or Freel. He has a more established track record of success, and so I think there's only a very slight chance he'd be a repeat Patterson in '08 or Taveras in '09.

Turn Off Ads?