Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP my garage lightbulb

RIP my garage lightbulb

So, one of the light bulbs in my garage burned out. Doesn't seen a news-worthy kind of thing.

But we moved into our present home about 22 years ago and this is the original builder light bulb. Subject to getting turned on and off several times a day, summer heat and winter cold, a rumbling garage door up and down a lot, and it kept going on and off faithfully. I don't know what kind of bulb it was, but I'd like to find more like it.

The other original bulb in the garage is still going.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: RIP my garage lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    So, one of the light bulbs in my garage burned out. Doesn't seen a news-worthy kind of thing.

But we moved into our present home about 22 years ago and this is the original builder light bulb. Subject to getting turned on and off several times a day, summer heat and winter cold, a rumbling garage door up and down a lot, and it kept going on and off faithfully. I don't know what kind of bulb it was, but I'd like to find more like it.

The other original bulb in the garage is still going.
    We've been here 21 years. I'm impressed! BTW, we watched the DVD of The Snowman (your avatar) last night. It is tradition at our house now.

RIP light bulb of Kings.
    Go Gators!

http://www.centennialbulb.org/ <-- Here's one that has lasted 110 years. Stories like this make me wonder about planned obsolescence and if we could all have light bulbs that last forever.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

You have my condolences. Sounds like he lived a hell of a life

On a related note...or not, we had a thread a couple of years ago about pets. I posted about my family newts. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newt

We have two newts, Sir Isaac and Jumanji. Sir Isaac is is a red spotted newt and 19 years old. Jumanji is 18 and a fire bellied newt.

When we got them (#1 at a pet store and #2 at Walmart), I assumed they would live a couple of weeks. The kids have grown and moved out, but the newts are still with us. They have outlived a couple of dogs and a few cats. I feed them once a day and last cleaned their tank about ten years ago (I know, bad).

This is possibly not up with an old lightbulb, but I think it ranks right up there.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post

We have two newts, Sir Isaac and Jumanji. Sir Isaac is is a red spotted newt and 19 years old. Jumanji is 18 and a fire bellied newt.
    I had no idea they would live that long. We had a blue tongued skink that is getting past 10 years but never would have thought a much smaller lizard would live that long. My son gifted the skink to a friend some years ago.

Is it common for this breed or is your case a bit unusual?
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

My condolences on this somber occaision.

Reminds me earlier this fall I was in Dollar general and there were 2 ladies at the checkout. had to be in their eighties. One had a card absolutey full of standard traditional light bulbs. I was behind them in line. She told the cashier she hated the new (CFL) lights Obama was forcing on everyone and she was stocking up. The cashier asked the other lady why she wasn't getting any. She said that she loved the new ones. It was really funny to see.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    I had no idea they would live that long. We had a blue tongued skink that is getting past 10 years but never would have thought a much smaller lizard would live that long. My son gifted the skink to a friend some years ago.

Is it common for this breed or is your case a bit unusual?
    I have read that newts can live 3-4 years but have seen up to 30 years.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I just enjoy the fact that you had a light bulb in your house that is/was older than a good number of people posting on this board.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I just enjoy the fact that you had a light bulb in your house that is/was older than a good number of people posting on this board.
    Still do. It's garage partner bulb is still glowing. My daughters have said the same thing about them being older than they are

We also have flood lights on the back of the house and they are the original bulbs too. They don't get used nearly as much though. I don't know what Drees used in 1990, but they were some good bulbs.

To put some perspective on it, my then-1 week old daughter is now a junior at Ohio U. Also, the Reds won the World Series about 2 weeks after we moved in. I'm hoping this is some kind of signal that the Reds will win again.

Cancel the RIP. I was going to replace it so I put the extension ladder up next to it and bonked the ceiling. It came back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Cancel the RIP. I was going to replace it so I put the extension ladder up next to it and bonked the ceiling. It came back on.
    Rally Bulb!TM
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Our chandelier above our dining room table was installed in June 1985. It took decorative 40 watt bulbs with the smaller base. They are original, and they got used a lot. 5 bulbs. My parents were redecorating and because my wife hated the look of our chandelier, I got theirs for free. The light bulbs got moved over.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

My stats teacher (from way back when), once said that light bulb life followed an exponential distribution and therefore, the probability of a certain one going bust was the same irrelevant of how old it was. (i.e. a 20 yr old bulb has the same chance of burning out in the next year as a brand new one has).

FWIW.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?