Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP my garage lightbulb

Re: RIP my garage lightbulb

mutant light bulb!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Cancel the RIP. I was going to replace it so I put the extension ladder up next to it and bonked the ceiling. It came back on.
    Christmas Miracle!
    Go Gators!

Today, I replaced 4 light bulbs in my house. 4 different fixtures in 4 different rooms.

Grrrrr.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Today, I replaced 4 light bulbs in my house. 4 different fixtures in 4 different rooms.

Grrrrr.
    Yeah, I'm constantly changing bulbs around here, and this house was built 5 years ago. And we have recessed lighting (kitchen), and some track lighting, throughout the house, and those bulbs ain't cheap!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post

Grrrrr.
    How many Reds fans does it take to screw in a light bulb?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I guarantee a compact fluorescent bulb won't last that long in a garage ceiling. They hate being jostled around by the garage door opener.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    My stats teacher (from way back when), once said that light bulb life followed an exponential distribution and therefore, the probability of a certain one going bust was the same irrelevant of how old it was. (i.e. a 20 yr old bulb has the same chance of burning out in the next year as a brand new one has).

FWIW.
    Yeah, but that's small sample size. Roy's bulbs only have 2 plate appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    My stats teacher (from way back when), once said that light bulb life followed an exponential distribution and therefore, the probability of a certain one going bust was the same irrelevant of how old it was. (i.e. a 20 yr old bulb has the same chance of burning out in the next year as a brand new one has). FWIW.
    Is this like the flip four heads in a row thing?

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Is this like the flip four heads in a row thing?
    Not really. The "flip four heads" thing refers to each flip being an independent event.

What the exponential distribution has is "memorylessness", that is, it doesn't matter how long you have waited already for a certain event, the probability of it happening -from that moment on- is always the same.

I really don't know why I remember this stuff.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

If I use those CF bulbs, they last approximately 30 days before they pop. My house's electrical sucks though so im guessing its something to do with that. I've had more luck with good old incandescents.

Farewell good garage bulb.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    If I use those CF bulbs, they last approximately 30 days before they pop. My house's electrical sucks though so im guessing its something to do with that. I've had more luck with good old incandescents.
    Are the CF's in enclosed fixtures or installed with the base above the lamp? If so both of those things will cause them to have a very short life cycle.

Turn Off Ads?