Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #18 prospect?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3B Junior Arias

1 2.17%
  • RHP Andrew Brackman

5 10.87%
  • 1B/3B Sean Buckley

1 2.17%
  • RHP Tim Crabbe

6 13.04%
  • LHP Amir Garrett

1 2.17%
  • UT Brodie Greene

2 4.35%
  • LHP Ismael Guillon

0 0%
  • RHP Josh Judy

0 0%
  • OF Ryan LaMarre

13 28.26%
  • 1B Donald Lutz

3 6.52%
  • OF Denis Phipps

7 15.22%
  • RHP Dan Renken

0 0%
  • RHP Josh Smith

6 13.04%
  • RHP Pedro Villarreal

0 0%
  • OF Kyle Waldrop

1 2.17%
  • other (please list below)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #18 prospect?

Who is Redszone's #18 prospect?

#1 C Devin Mesoraco
    #2 SS Billy Hamilton
    #3 SS Zack Cozart
    #4 RHP Dan Corcino
    #5 RHP Robert Stephenson
    #6 1B Neftali Soto
    #7 OF Yorman Rodriguez
    #8 UT Todd Frazier
    #9 SS Didi Gregorius
    #10 2B Henry Rodriguez
    #11 LHP Tony Cingrani
    #12 OF Juan Duran
    #13 RHP Kyle Lotzkar
    #14 3B Gabriel Rosa
    #15 C Tucker Barnhart
    #16 3B David Vidal
    #17 RHP J.C. Sulbaran

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Redszone's #18 prospect?

Tim Crabbe. Very similar to Sulbaran IMO. Good fastball, strong second pitch (Slider for Crabbe, Curve for Sulbaran), strong K numbers, both seemed to get the walks under control and are about the same HR wise. Sulbaran is about a year and a half younger. If Sulbaran is 17, Crabbe should be next. Crabbe's ERA has been consistently lower than Sulbaran's.

Both these guys figure to be on the Reds staff in the next couple of years as some of the bullpen guys start to get expensive and as Arroyo's time in Cincy winds down.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Tim Crabbe. Very similar to Sulbaran IMO. Good fastball, strong second pitch (Slider for Crabbe, Curve for Sulbaran), strong K numbers, both seemed to get the walks under control and are about the same HR wise. Sulbaran is about a year and a half younger. If Sulbaran is 17, Crabbe should be next. Crabbe's ERA has been consistently lower than Sulbaran's.

Both these guys figure to be on the Reds staff in the next couple of years as some of the bullpen guys start to get expensive and as Arroyo's time in Cincy winds down.
    Ditto. You gotta love that we finally have Crabbe in first (too bad it's with two votes out of the first five).

OF Ryan LaMarre

I love this kid and I think he is gonna have a breakout minor league season. I think he has the tools to move up the ladder and pressure Stubbs to play better.

Since Josh Smith is getting some support here, I voted for him. It will be interesting to see at what level he ends the year, given his age. If the higher level guys keep swinging and missing his curve, we should have a better idea of whether he's for real.
    Last edited by tixe; 12-28-2011 at 09:43 AM. Reason: fat fingers on Fire.

I'm going with Junior Arias. Same age as Waldrop, but, with better offensive numbers at a tougher defensive position. I just don't see much upside past "potential major league reliever" in any of the RHP, of the two LHP on the list, one hasn't thown a pitch yet and the other got rocked at Billings. Most of the other offensive players on the list are slightly older and were, at best, age appropriate for their league. Lutz is interesting, but, he doesn't look like he's ever going to be an elite hitting prospect and he is already limited to just 1B.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Going with LaMarre here. Maybe I am dreaming on his defensive tools a little bit, but I think he has a chance to hit well enough to start and his defense is pretty strong. For those who like steals, he did swipe 50+ this year too.

I'm not sure why you think Lutz isn't going to be an elite hitting prospect. He's not played that much ball being German and is improving by leaps and bounds every season. Just look at his splits this season.

.749 OPS first half and .939 second half. And Reds are certainly showing him respect by adding him to 40 man roster.

Lutz is only 22 and could put up a 900 OPS in Bakersfield next season.

He's an intriguing prospect that profiles to get much, much better. What I like about him is his hit tool along with his power tool. His K rate went from over 30% to just over 20% from first half to second. His obp went to 400.

If his second half, much like Hamilton's, is for real, he's a Top Ten prospect and the heir apparent to Votto at 1B.

My biggest concern with Lutz is his walk rate. In both halves is was poor. It was acceptable in the second half because he cut his strikeout rate down by leaps and bounds, but he still didn't walk any more than before. He is still an aggressive hitter. Still very raw when it comes to the game. Lots of room for growth though and is certainly younger in baseball than his age suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Going with LaMarre here. Maybe I am dreaming on his defensive tools a little bit, but I think he has a chance to hit well enough to start and his defense is pretty strong. For those who like steals, he did swipe 50+ this year too.
    His 27 total extra base hits in 522 PAs last year at Bakersfield doesn't make you shy away? I guess if you can steal 2nd it's not a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    His 27 total extra base hits in 522 PAs last year at Bakersfield doesn't make you shy away? I guess if you can steal 2nd it's not a problem?
    It's a concern, but he doesn't have to hit for a lot of power to play in center. At this point in the rankings, there are legit concerns with everyone.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

For those more knowledgable about Ryan LaMarre than I am, can you tell us how his glove profiles? I think I remember hearing that he is an above average defensive centerfielder. Is this true? I like that he has had an OBP above .350 each year in the minors. The reason I have Crabbe above him is that I just don't see too much upside to LaMarre.

BTW, I love that the Crabbe train is gaining steam. It looks like we have a chance of getting him in the Top 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    For those more knowledgable about Ryan LaMarre than I am, can you tell us how his glove profiles? I think I remember hearing that he is an above average defensive centerfielder. Is this true? I like that he has had an OBP above .350 each year in the minors. The reason I have Crabbe above him is that I just don't see too much upside to LaMarre.

BTW, I love that the Crabbe train is gaining steam. It looks like we have a chance of getting him in the Top 20.
    Edd I think if you get a look at his scouting reports he does indeed have alot of room for upside. In his case I think it's some mechanical adjustments that could make him jump. Consider Heisey's jump in the minors when he made a mechanical adjustment, all of a sudden his ceiling jumped a great deal. I see LaMarre the same way except it's a bit of approach as well. I think once Ryan Jackson gets ahold of him we might get more out of him.

As he stands now he is in my mind very similar all the way around (defense included) as Heisey but more aggressive at the plate. I think he could be a tad better than Chris and I think Chris is an eventual solid starting OF.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 12-29-2011 at 09:19 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I went with Amir Garrett (real upside) again, but I could see LaMarre going here. He's proven himself quite the baserunner, and showing more power and consistency at the plate could make him a top 10 prospect by this time next year. He's still got a ways to go however, so hopefully AA and AAA can iron out the kinks.

Turn Off Ads?