Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #17 prospect?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • RHP Andrew Brackman

1 2.44%
  • 1B/3B Sean Buckley

1 2.44%
  • RHP Drew Cisco

0 0%
  • RHP Tim Crabbe

3 7.32%
  • LHP Amir Garrett

2 4.88%
  • UT Brodie Greene

1 2.44%
  • RHP Josh Judy

3 7.32%
  • OF Ryan LaMarre

1 2.44%
  • 1B Donald Lutz

4 9.76%
  • LHP Chris Manno

0 0%
  • OF Denis Phipps

5 12.20%
  • RHP Dan Renken

0 0%
  • RHP J.C. Sulbaran

19 46.34%
  • RHP Josh Smith

1 2.44%
  • RHP Pedro Villarreal

0 0%
  • other (please list below)

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #17 prospect?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Who is Redszone's #17 prospect?

#1 C Devin Mesoraco
    #2 SS Billy Hamilton
    #3 SS Zack Cozart
    #4 RHP Dan Corcino
    #5 RHP Robert Stephenson
    #6 1B Neftali Soto
    #7 OF Yorman Rodriguez
    #8 UT Todd Frazier
    #9 SS Didi Gregorius
    #10 2B Henry Rodriguez
    #11 LHP Tony Cingrani
    #12 OF Juan Duran
    #13 RHP Kyle Lotzkar
    #14 3B Gabriel Rosa
    #15 C Tucker Barnhart
    #16 3B David Vidal

Re: Who is Redszone's #17 prospect?

I voted for UT Brodie Greene
    I think he will become a fairly good player sorta out of the Cairo Mold.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmt5887 View Post
    I voted for UT Brodie Greene
    I think he will become a fairly good player sorta out of the Cairo Mold.
    I know we all value minor leaguers differently, but why would you want a guy who could become Miguel Cairo when you could have a guy who could become a TOR arm (Sulbaran, Crabbe) or at least a regular positional player (LaMarre, Lutz, Buckley)?

I just feel like there are Miguel Cairos out there every off-season who do a lot of little things right, but do nothing tremendously who you could sign easily for around the major league minimum.

If I were dealing for prospects, I obviously would like the crown jewels who have tremendous upside and a good chance of getting there, but since those cost an arm and a leg, I would still prefer the guys with major upside with a lower chance of reaching it than a guy with literally no upside and a better chance of reaching it.

What is your thought process on this pick?

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I know we all value minor leaguers differently, but why would you want a guy who could become Miguel Cairo when you could have a guy who could become a TOR arm (Sulbaran, Crabbe) or at least a regular positional player (LaMarre, Lutz, Buckley)?

I just feel like there are Miguel Cairos out there every off-season who do a lot of little things right, but do nothing tremendously who you could sign easily for around the major league minimum.

If I were dealing for prospects, I obviously would like the crown jewels who have tremendous upside and a good chance of getting there, but since those cost an arm and a leg, I would still prefer the guys with major upside with a lower chance of reaching it than a guy with literally no upside and a better chance of reaching it.

What is your thought process on this pick?
    I happen to like Cairo a lot. and I think Greene has a lot of potential and could be playing with the Reds sooner the anyone else on the list. That's it really. I don't really follow the minors that closely but this kid has struck a chord with me..

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmt5887 View Post
    I happen to like Cairo a lot. and I think Greene has a lot of potential and could be playing with the Reds sooner the anyone else on the list. That's it really. I don't really follow the minors that closely but this kid has struck a chord with me..
    Fair enough. I agree that Cairo and Greene can do a lot on the field and have value to teams, but I guess I would simply rather see more upside out of my prospects than certainty.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Fair enough. I agree that Cairo and Greene can do a lot on the field and have value to teams, but I guess I would simply rather see more upside out of my prospects than certainty.
    I recall Greene being compared with Bip Roberts.

I don't think he is necessarily a backup. Fast, versatile. Steals bases, knocks in runs. Has a little power.

Haven't seen him in person, but sounds like a good prospect.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-27-2011 at 11:24 PM.

I went with Josh Judy, the waiver wire pick-up from Cleveland. His minor league numbers for four years are exemplary, with a K/9 IP above 10. The Reds need a bullpen arm that's solid, and he is, by his numbers at least, a solid bet to be that guy.

A scouting report on Judy:
    Judy sets everything up with a fastball that sits comfortably in the low-90s, and can touch as high as 96. It has natural sinking action, and helps him get plenty of groundballs. He compliments the fastball with a plus slider that generates lots of swings and misses. The slider has sharp, late break, and is only a few MPH slower than the fastball making pitch recognition difficult for hitters. He has a “show-me” changeup, and only uses it on occasion to change speeds and keep hitters honest. His bread and butter is his fastball/slider combo, and as a reliever that should be enough.

Ismael Guillen? I know he had a very down year last year, hoping for a comeback, not sure I'd vote for him at this point, but thinking he's starting to approach "his range"

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

JC Sulbaran. Fastball anywhere from 91-95 MPH, well above average to plus breaking ball, change up. Misses plenty of bats. Had his breakout season hidden some by the fact that he was in the California League.

I went Sulbaran. I don't pay much attention to ERA in the minors. Too much volatility with parks and defense. 3.1 SO:BB ratio in a hitters league and the stuff to back it up.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I went Sulbaran. I don't pay much attention to ERA in the minors. Too much volatility with parks and defense. 3.1 SO:BB ratio in a hitters league and the stuff to back it up.
    Yep. The league ERA was nearing 5.00.

I went with Sulbaran. Numbers started to come round in a hitters park last year - still will only be 22 this coming season (it shocked me last season when I realized he was 21 - I thought he should be two or three years older for some reason). Ab ig year by him at AA or Lotzkar in A+ would be huge news in btidging in the starter gap between the Bigs and A ball.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 12-27-2011 at 04:40 PM.

I was wondering if anyone would mind that I speed up a couple of the polls. Provided the rest of the prospects aren't traded, we should have no problem getting to #40 a week or two before Opening Day, but if I shorten a couple of polls in which a player jumps out to a big lead early (e.g. #17 would be given to Sulbaran tomorrow unless something drastic happens), we could probably get through 50.

Also, you may have noticed that I've been less consistent in keeping these on track the past couple weeks, but don't worry. Now that all the hustle and bustle surrounding the holidays is over, it shouldn't be a problem now.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I was wondering if anyone would mind that I speed up a couple of the polls. Provided the rest of the prospects aren't traded, we should have no problem getting to #40 a week or two before Opening Day, but if I shorten a couple of polls in which a player jumps out to a big lead early (e.g. #17 would be given to Sulbaran tomorrow unless something drastic happens), we could probably get through 50.

Also, you may have noticed that I've been less consistent in keeping these on track the past couple weeks, but don't worry. Now that all the hustle and bustle surrounding the holidays is over, it shouldn't be a problem now.
    Fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post

All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?