Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #17 prospect?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • RHP Andrew Brackman

    1 2.44%
  • 1B/3B Sean Buckley

    1 2.44%
  • RHP Drew Cisco

    0 0%
  • RHP Tim Crabbe

    3 7.32%
  • LHP Amir Garrett

    2 4.88%
  • UT Brodie Greene

    1 2.44%
  • RHP Josh Judy

    3 7.32%
  • OF Ryan LaMarre

    1 2.44%
  • 1B Donald Lutz

    4 9.76%
  • LHP Chris Manno

    0 0%
  • OF Denis Phipps

    5 12.20%
  • RHP Dan Renken

    0 0%
  • RHP J.C. Sulbaran

    19 46.34%
  • RHP Josh Smith

    1 2.44%
  • RHP Pedro Villarreal

    0 0%
  • other (please list below)

    0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 37 of 37

Thread: Who is Redszone's #17 prospect?

  1. #31
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Loveland, OH
    Posts
    3,026

    Re: Who is Redszone's #17 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I guess the fact that he has gone three years without finding one suggests he won't. Toss in the fact that because he hasn't done it to this point, the odds aren't good he remains a starter much longer and that coaches have him focus on just two pitches. As for being able to throw it over the plate, well that is much tougher. Especially when we are talking about a guy like Crabbe, who while he improved his control this year, isn't exactly a guy who pounds the strikezone.
    So the coaches legitimately only let him throw two pitches in the game? If so, that sounds pretty dumb. How can it be so difficult to throw a third pitch when you throw the other two so well?

    You look at his good numbers in a tough pitching league in a small sample size and you see promise. I guess if he truly can never learn a third pitch, he will never be a big league starter. I just don't see how that's possible to not be able to throw a third pitch when you can already throw two plus ones.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,878

    Re: Who is Redszone's #17 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    So the coaches legitimately only let him throw two pitches in the game? If so, that sounds pretty dumb. How can it be so difficult to throw a third pitch when you throw the other two so well?

    You look at his good numbers in a tough pitching league in a small sample size and you see promise. I guess if he truly can never learn a third pitch, he will never be a big league starter. I just don't see how that's possible to not be able to throw a third pitch when you can already throw two plus ones.
    No, I am saying that because he hasn't developed a third pitch that he is likely to be moved to a reliever position. And as a reliever, coaches aren't likely to continue working on a third pitch with him and will be working solely with his fastball/slider combo, thus decreasing his chances of ever finding that third pitch because he won't be focusing on one anymore.

    As for it being so difficult to throw that third pitch if you can throw two so well..... if it were so easy, everyone would do it. But a slew of guys can't and those guys wind up as relievers.

  4. #33
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Loveland, OH
    Posts
    3,026

    Re: Who is Redszone's #17 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    No, I am saying that because he hasn't developed a third pitch that he is likely to be moved to a reliever position. And as a reliever, coaches aren't likely to continue working on a third pitch with him and will be working solely with his fastball/slider combo, thus decreasing his chances of ever finding that third pitch because he won't be focusing on one anymore.

    As for it being so difficult to throw that third pitch if you can throw two so well..... if it were so easy, everyone would do it. But a slew of guys can't and those guys wind up as relievers.
    I can see your point. Furthermore, if he really can't throw a third pitch, I do agree maybe he shouldn't be valued as high as another starting pitcher with his numbers. I will continue to vote for him with the understanding that I think he will pick up another pitch. Even if he can't pick up another pitch, he could be another Boxberger-like pitcher in the bullpen. I guess the Reds will ultimately decide his fate by either placing him in the Pensacola rotation or bullpen. With the lack of arms in AA and High A outside of Crabbe, Corcino and Sulbaran, I see no reason to move him to the bullpen until they are absolutely sure he will never pick up that third pitch.

  5. #34
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    15,898

    Re: Who is Redszone's #17 prospect?

    Interesting blog here about another Fastball/Slider guy who is being moved from the pen to the rotation: Daniel Bard.

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...d-as-a-starter

    Of course, I don't know how hard Crabbe throws (I doubt it's 97+).
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  6. #35
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,878

    Re: Who is Redszone's #17 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Interesting blog here about another Fastball/Slider guy who is being moved from the pen to the rotation: Daniel Bard.

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...d-as-a-starter

    Of course, I don't know how hard Crabbe throws (I doubt it's 97+).
    Crabbe throws pretty hard, up to 97. But sits 92-95.

    I am with Edd Roush in the idea that he is a guy who could develop into a Brad Boxberger type of prospect.

  7. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    961

    Re: Who is Redszone's #17 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Crabbe throws pretty hard, up to 97. But sits 92-95.

    I am with Edd Roush in the idea that he is a guy who could develop into a Brad Boxberger type of prospect.
    I'd like to see that, or at least what Donnie Joseph was before this season. Our cheap bullpen help is going to run out faster than we think.

  8. #37
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,878

    Re: Who is Redszone's #17 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    I'd like to see that, or at least what Donnie Joseph was before this season. Our cheap bullpen help is going to run out faster than we think.
    That's the thing though.... bullpens can almost always be built on the cheap.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25