Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 12/27

Birthdays: 12/27

Reds:

Phil Gagliano (70) -Veteran utility man who had a nice little year coming off the Reds bench ib 1973.

Bobby Klaus (74) -The lesser of the two Klaus brothers; hit for a .535 OPS in his one full year with the Reds.

Others:

Cole Hamels (28) -Don't have much new to say about him, other than that he broke his pitching arm in high school and that he's married to a former Survivor contestant.

David Aardsma (30) -Went to the same high school as Brad Lidge. Displaced Hank Aaron as thr first alphabetical listing in baseball encyclopedias.

Roy White (68) -I didn't think it was possible to be a Yankee and be underrated, but Roy somehow managed it. An excellent all-around player.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays: 12/27

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Reds:

Bobby Klaus (74) -The lesser of the two Klaus brothers; hit for a .535 OPS in his one full year with the Reds.
    Yeah. His brother Santa had to go and upstage him 2 days before his birthday.

Did I actually just type such a stupid response?

Oh well, probably won't be the last time.

I love these threads.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Stat geek...and proud
    Hey, it made me chuckle.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Reds:

Phil Gagliano (70) -Veteran utility man who had a nice little year coming off the Reds bench ib 1973.
    It was an excellent year. He gave the Reds some key hits that season even though I remember him primarily as a Cardinal.

Reds have had some great pinch hitters in their history.

Lenny Harris
    Jimmy Stewart
    Jerry Lynch
    Smokey Burgess

Just off the top of my head.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Five fun facts about Jim Tobin, a WW2-era pitcher born on this day:

1. In 1944, he drew a walk against Reds pitcher Clyde Shoun. He was the only player to reach base against Shoun; if not for him the Reds would have another perfect game in their history.

2. In 1944 he learned the knuckleball and pitched two no-hitters (one was only a five-inning no-hitter and isn't recognized any more). He also threw back-to-back one hitters, which no one would do again until R.A. Dickey did it this past year.

3. He was an excellent hitter for a pitcher- a career .230 hitter with over 100 career pinch-hit appearances.

4. In 1942 he hit three homers in a game; he's the only pitcher ever to accomplish this.

5. His nickname was "Abba Dabba". I looked on any number of websites and can't discover how he came by this nickname. Anyone know? I do know that there was a popular song of that era called "Abba Dabba Honeymoon"- maybe he was unusually fond of it or something.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Turn Off Ads?