Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Denis Phipps

Denis Phipps

I've heard a lot about this kid Denis Phipps (for some reason most of it negative) but John Fay and Dusty Baker seem to like him a lot. I heard he didn't start playing baseball until he was 18 and is now 26. Fay refers to him as a "5 tool player". Does anyone know anything else about him and his potential to help out in left field this year?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Denis Phipps

I don't know a lot about him, but his numbers sure look good! Hits for a good average.

Quote Originally Posted by jhu1321 View Post
    I've heard a lot about this kid Denis Phipps (for some reason most of it negative) but John Fay and Dusty Baker seem to like him a lot. I heard he didn't start playing baseball until he was 18 and is now 26. Fay refers to him as a "5 tool player". Does anyone know anything else about him and his potential to help out in left field this year?
    I think he could be a decent bench player, but I don't think he's a starter. He doesn't walk much, and his batting average was inflated last year due to a ridiculously fluky BABIP. I could always be wrong, but if you look at his peripheral numbers, he sure looks more like a role player and less like a difference maker.
    Last edited by Alpha Zero; 12-27-2011 at 01:25 PM.

He's 26 years old, has spent 7 years in our ML system and never hit that well until 2011. He's on the 40 man now, and Jockety seems to talk about him often. They did name him "hitter of the year".

He's hitting .297 with at .839 OPS in the DWL with 2 HR and 10 RBI in 100 AB. Striking out 20 times.
    Last edited by powersackers; 12-28-2011 at 04:17 AM.

I am really excited about this guy. I think he can be the type of bench OF we need this year with Frazier. A nice bench bat that came out of the blue last year.

I saw him play his 1st game in Louisville I was impressed with his aa numbers so im not sure what character concerns there are but he'd be a decent back up.

Turn Off Ads?