Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 61

Thread: Remaining unsigned free agents

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Amarillo,Texas
    Posts
    4,357

    Re: Remaining unsigned free agents

    I might take a flyer with a 1 or 2 year deal for Pat Burrell.He hasn't played many games for a couple of years, but he could help the team if he is healthy-only 1 million last year for the Giants.I think it's worth taking a shot.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Loveland, OH
    Posts
    3,045

    Re: Remaining unsigned free agents

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Major league deals:

    Rich Harden
    Luke Scott (Only if they can't get Seth Smith).
    Eric Hinske (If no Smith or Scott)
    Andruw Jones
    Ryan Spilborgs (If they deal one of Stubbs or Heisey or can't get Jones)

    Minor League Deals

    One of these:
    Jeremy Accardo
    David Aardsma

    One of these:
    Aaron Cook
    Doug Davis

    One of These:
    Damaso Marte
    John Grabow

    Rick Ankiel
    Dioner Navarro

    I like your list a lot. The only thing I would add to this list would be Ryan Madson. I have no idea what his price is so I couldn't tell you whether he would be worth it or not. I hate spending too much of the payroll on a guy who is only going to give you 60 innings, but those are likely the 60 most important pitching innings of the year and if he could be had for 10 mil a year or less, I would really like to see Madson in Cincinnati Red.

  4. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    5,840

    Re: Remaining unsigned free agents

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds should sign Ryan Madson. Nobody is running after this guy, Reds should be able to get him for three years, less than ten million per year. Madson, Latos, and Marshall transform this staff.

    If Reds plan to go with four true outfielders, as I expect, they need a starter to go with Stubbs and Bruce. Don't love anyone on list. Crisp would be adequate in my book, I know others disagree. Others, like Andruw Jones, are interesting but at this point are likely backups. A trade is probably necessary unless they get Crisp.

    Reds need a good backup middle infielder, particularly with a rookie SS. Don't see him on this list. I think they will need a trade or just go with Janish.

    I doubt Reds will sign a starter like Edwin Jackson. But they could go for somebody like Harden who provide insurance and meanwhile help in pen or AAA.

    Reds could also sign a FA catcher from this group, to hang out in Louisville.

    Madson is said to be looking for 5yrs/$44M, but maybe about to come down in his asking price to 3yrs/$33M. If I'm the Reds, I'd offer 3 yrs/$30M with a club option for a 4th year at $12Mrigh now. Chances are though, if he comes down below 4 years, either the Red Sox or Angels with give him $11-12M per.

    NOTE: I just thought of something. If you add Madson at $10M+ a season, it is really going to bounce up Marshall's asking price. I'd rather have Marshall, so I'd probably offer him the deal first.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 12-27-2011 at 03:39 PM.

  5. #19
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,762

    Re: Remaining unsigned free agents

    The Reds simply can not afford a big dollar commitment in 2013. If Madson would sign for a 1 year and try again deal, the Reds should do it. But I think he can do better and the Reds simply can't match what other team's will offer. If they don't want to try Chapman or Marshall as the closer, they need to deal for a cheaper one. It probably means dealing one of Stubbs or Heisey along with some guys like Masset, Frazier and some kids. I have no real interest in Cordero.

    I'd go with Chapman or Marshall myself. Nobody else needs to be dealt. Its money already spent and won't break the bank in 2013.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  6. #20
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Remaining unsigned free agents

    Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Madson is said to be looking for 5yrs/$44M, but maybe about to come down in his asking price to 3yrs/$33M. If I'm the Reds, I'd offer 3 yrs/$30M with a club option for a 4th year at $12Mrigh now. Chances are though, if he comes down below 4 years, either the Red Sox or Angels with give him $11-12M per.

    NOTE: I just thought of something. If you add Madson at $10M+ a season, it is really going to bounce up Marshall's asking price. I'd rather have Marshall, so I'd probably offer him the deal first.
    5 yrs/$44M = $8.8M per year by my calculator.

    But you're saying he might take......3 yrs/$33M = $11M per year? Gee, you think?

    I don't get your comments. Was that a typo on the $44M?
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  7. #21
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Remaining unsigned free agents

    I really think we're going to have to trade Bailey and Chapman to fill our LF need. And then we'll have to sign a FA starting pitcher.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  8. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    10,092

    Re: Remaining unsigned free agents

    I'd go with Chapman or Marshall myself. Nobody else needs to be dealt. Its money already spent and won't break the bank in 2013.
    Marshall. He's done it a little and likes it. Numbers indicate he's got the stuff, easily. It's also the best chance the team has of getting him to agree to an extension.
    Save the dough for Cespedes.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

  9. #23
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Remaining unsigned free agents

    Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Marshall. He's done it a little and likes it. Numbers indicate he's got the stuff, easily. It's also the best chance the team has of getting him to agree to an extension.
    Save the dough for Cespedes.
    I forgot about Cespedes. Reds need to go after him hard. I hate the other free agent OF options.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  10. #24
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Loveland, OH
    Posts
    3,045

    Re: Remaining unsigned free agents

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The Reds simply can not afford a big dollar commitment in 2013. If Madson would sign for a 1 year and try again deal, the Reds should do it. But I think he can do better and the Reds simply can't match what other team's will offer. If they don't want to try Chapman or Marshall as the closer, they need to deal for a cheaper one. It probably means dealing one of Stubbs or Heisey along with some guys like Masset, Frazier and some kids. I have no real interest in Cordero.

    I'd go with Chapman or Marshall myself. Nobody else needs to be dealt. Its money already spent and won't break the bank in 2013.
    Just playing devil's advocate and perhaps I am being too optimistic about 2012, but if the Reds make the playoffs in 2012 and have increased attendance and overall higher revenue in 2012, why couldn't the Reds have a slightly higher payroll (low 90s) in which they could afford Ryan Madson?

    I just think the Reds will have an attendance around 2.5 million in 2012 and in turn, their revenue base will allow for a higher payroll. Furthermore, if we are "in it" while Votto is here, and Castellini does care about winning, why couldn't we afford Madson (who is a clear upgrade) and increase the payroll accordingly?

  11. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,486

    Re: Remaining unsigned free agents

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The Reds simply can not afford a big dollar commitment in 2013. If Madson would sign for a 1 year and try again deal, the Reds should do it. But I think he can do better and the Reds simply can't match what other team's will offer. If they don't want to try Chapman or Marshall as the closer, they need to deal for a cheaper one. It probably means dealing one of Stubbs or Heisey along with some guys like Masset, Frazier and some kids. I have no real interest in Cordero.

    I'd go with Chapman or Marshall myself. Nobody else needs to be dealt. Its money already spent and won't break the bank in 2013.
    I do not accept the premise that the Reds are tapped out financially, for 2012 or 2013.

    They have not increased their payroll at all through acquisitions this off season. They added Marshall, but gave up Volquez.

    If the premise is that salary increases to current Reds is all they can afford, then ownership should dump the team. The Reds as a major league franchise should be able to incrementally add new player salaries in years they are competitive.

    They dropped two major salaries. Cordero and Hernandez. Reds should add some salary back in for new players.

    Madson at $8 million per or slightly more for three years is much less in the aggregate than the Reds paid Cordero to close.

    If Madson commands $11-12 million per year or so, I could see the Reds dropping out. But the press reports suggest he may have to take less than he wanted, which I read to mean maybe below ten per.

    I mean, if you are trying to win, then really try.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-27-2011 at 04:39 PM.

  12. #26
    Member Ron Madden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,815

    Re: Remaining unsigned free agents

    Everyone wants to go after Madson and sign Votto, Phillips and Marshall to extensions. That money has to come from somewhere, but where?

  13. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    10,092

    Re: Remaining unsigned free agents

    If the premise is that salary increases to current Reds is all they can afford, then ownership should dump the team. The Reds as a major league franchise should be able to incrementally add new player salaries in years they are competitive.
    Agreed. If it's really about winning. Working the trade market with top prospects is not a sustainable strategy for fielding a competitive team.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

  14. #28
    Member membengal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    9,033

    Re: Remaining unsigned free agents

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I do not accept the premise that the Reds are tapped out financially, for 2012 or 2013.

    They have not increased their payroll at all through acquisitions this off season. They added Marshall, but gave up Volquez.

    If the premise is that salary increases to current Reds is all they can afford, then ownership should dump the team. The Reds as a major league franchise should be able to incrementally add new player salaries in years they are competitive.

    They dropped two major salaries. Cordero and Hernandez. Reds should add some salary back in for new players.

    Madson at $8 million per or slightly more for three years is much less in the aggregate than the Reds paid Cordero to close.

    If Madson commands $11-12 million per year or so, I could see the Reds dropping out. But the press reports suggest he may have to take less than he wanted, which I read to mean maybe below ten per.

    I mean, if you are trying to win, then really try.
    Hear frickin' hear.

    Just absolutely spot on in all respects.

  15. #29
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Loveland, OH
    Posts
    3,045

    Re: Remaining unsigned free agents

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Everyone wants to go after Madson and sign Votto, Phillips and Marshall to extensions. That money has to come from somewhere, but where?
    I am going to go ahead and answer your rhetorical question.

    I see no reason why the Reds' revenue cannot increase marginally over the next several years. The Reds will never have a top-10 attendance due to a smaller ballpark that limits ticket sales on big weekends and Opening Day and the fact that the Reds' fan base is so dispersed that weekday games become difficult for most of the Reds' fans to attend.

    That being said, attendance will increase if the Reds become a 90+ win team. The increase in attendance will raise revenues for obviously ticket sales, but also merchandise & food sales. The Reds should be able to support a payroll in the 90s.

    Is a payroll in the 90s enough to sign Votto, Phillips & Marshall to an extension while also signing Madson? Likely not. That being said. Madson would be affordable in 2012 if we do have $12 M left in the budget and moves can be made in 2013 & 2014 to keep a top-level reliever around.

    If we are really "going for it" in 2012, let's go all-in. Let's sign another hammer to the back of the bullpen and try to make most close leads after 7 innings a given W.

  16. #30
    Member membengal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    9,033

    Re: Remaining unsigned free agents

    Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Agreed. If it's really about winning. Working the trade market with top prospects is not a sustainable strategy for fielding a competitive team.
    Also spot on.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25