2012 Kool Aid

Joe Sheehan at SI is drinking some....check out Prediction 10

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...&sct=hp_t11_a3

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: 2012 Kool Aid

No pressure there.

Man, I'm having the mushrooms he had on his pizza!

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Guess I'll get my World Series Champion 2012 Tattoo ah la the guy who got the Houston Texans Super Bowl tattoo.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Wow. I think that Kool-Aid must be spiked. If he's right, he gets bragging rights for being the first to make that call.
    /r/reds

I'll have a cup of whatever Sheehan is drinking....must be good stuff.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Well, there is one sportswriter who must like the trades

Don't get me wrong, I like what Walt has done so far. It should be enough to put us in the thick of the division race and possibly even get us through the first round of the playoffs, but to win the Pennant (much less the Series) will require one more Top 3 starter (to go with Latos & Cueto) and another middle of the order bat (to go with Votto and Bruce) - either that or HUGE stepup seasons by Leake, Bailey, Francisco and Mesoraco.

Seems like kind of a creepy thing to tell Rangers fans.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    but to win the Pennant (much less the Series) will require one more Top 3 starter (to go with Latos & Cueto) and another middle of the order bat (to go with Votto and Bruce) - either that or HUGE stepup seasons by Leake, Bailey, Francisco and Mesoraco.
    I agree corkedbat. I think the Reds really do need another TOR arm to put them on the top of the NL. Bailey could be that guy. That's why I would hate to trade him. If we don't get Luke Scott and we could get Seth Smith straight up for Bailey, I guess I would trade do that deal, but I really think Bailey could be a good pitcher next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I agree corkedbat. I think the Reds really do need another TOR arm to put them on the top of the NL. Bailey could be that guy. That's why I would hate to trade him. If we don't get Luke Scott and we could get Seth Smith straight up for Bailey, I guess I would trade do that deal, but I really think Bailey could be a good pitcher next year.
    No way am I trading any starters for position players,we're getting too thin.I had hoped the Reds would add another arm via free agency.That looks highly improbable now,I hope the remaining pitchers have improved years.

I am skeptical of Chapman contributing this year as a starter.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I like what Walt has done so far. It should be enough to put us in the thick of the division race and possibly even get us through the first round of the playoffs, but to win the Pennant (much less the Series) will require one more Top 3 starter (to go with Latos & Cueto) and another middle of the order bat (to go with Votto and Bruce) - either that or HUGE stepup seasons by Leake, Bailey, Francisco and Mesoraco.
    What top three starter did the Cardinals have? They didn't have a single starter on their roster in 2011 with an ERA+ over 107 last season. That is barely above average.

I think he's off on the Marlins.They'll get in IMO.9 out of 10 isn't bad though.
    Last edited by Captain Hook; 12-29-2011 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    What top three starter did the Cardinals have? They didn't have a single starter on their roster in 2011 with an ERA+ over 107 last season. That is barely above average.
    They did have three middle of th order bats though. Not saying its impossible, but I really don't like the chances of the Reds progressing beyond the first round if one of those two defficencies is filled.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Judging them by ERA simply penalizes them for their defense. Obviously the defense counts if we're talking run prevention, but not if we're talking pitching talent.

Code:
    		GS	IP	ERA	FIP	xFIP	NL FIP Rank (min 150 IP - Of 58)
    Carpenter	34	237.1	3.45	3.06	3.31	 8th
    Garcia		32	194.2	3.56	3.23	3.31	15th
    Lohse		30	188.1	3.39	3.67	4.04	27th
    Westbrook	33	183.1	4.66	4.25	4.08	47rd
    McCellan	17	104.2	4.21	4.54	4.25
    Jackson		12	 77.0	3.62	4.03	4.05
    Cards starters had the 5th best FIP in the NL last year and they're adding a Cy Young winner. Now you add Wainwright. If we're projecting 2012, they've got 3 of the top 20 pitchers in the NL. They may not be the Phillies, but they have a solidly above average rotation.

For reference, in that FIP ranking above, Reds starters finished 18th (Latos), 21st (Cueto), 40th (Leake) and 58th (Arroyo). If Bailey had the innings he'd be around 38th.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 12-29-2011 at 05:32 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?