Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pitching is the name of the game

Pitching is the name of the game

And for 2012, the Reds have it.

Latos/Cueto/Bailey/Leake/Arroyo

and very possibly...

Madson/Massett/Marshall/Bray/Arredondo/LeCure and one out of Fisher, Smith, Ondrusek and Judge Judy. Chapman is a wildcard as it remains to be seen if he'll be a starter or reliever, but obviously he could have a big impact at some point in the year.

From top to bottom, that would be the best pitching staff the Reds have had since 1990 IMHO.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pitching is the name of the game

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    And for 2012, the Reds have it.

Latos/Cueto/Bailey/Leake/Arroyo

and very possibly...

Madson/Massett/Marshall/Bray/Arredondo/LeCure and one out of Fisher, Smith, Ondrusek and Judge Judy. Chapman is a wildcard as it remains to be seen if he'll be a starter or reliever, but obviously he could have a big impact at some point in the year.

From top to bottom, that would be the best pitching staff the Reds have had since 1990 IMHO.
    yup.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Madson will go to the Angels. He's from there.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Madson will go to the Angels. He's from there.
    I get the sense he wants to be a closer more, and I'm not sure the Angels are really that concerned with throwing money at a position they have covered. The Angels like Walden a lot. That's why they gave him the job and he rewarded them with being an All-Star. He wore down late in the year, but that was a matter of not pitching a full season like that.

I don't think the Angels are really that worried about it, and all reports suggest they won't offer much money or a guarantee of closing.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I get the sense he wants to be a closer more, and I'm not sure the Angels are really that concerned with throwing money at a position they have covered. The Angels like Walden a lot. That's why they gave him the job and he rewarded them with being an All-Star. He wore down late in the year, but that was a matter of not pitching a full season like that.

I don't think the Angels are really that worried about it, and all reports suggest they won't offer much money or a guarantee of closing.
    I could see them signing him with the justification that if they don't, they're going to end up paying Jordan Walden big money in a few years in arbitration anyways. It's not like you have to worry about the politics of demoting a 24 year old with 1 year of experience from closer to set-up guy.

My bigger fear is that somebody with money to burn simply gives him a 1 year deal at $10M -- the RedSox perhaps. Maybe the Marlins or Nationals.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Shouldn't we all be on the same page that Coco is much more probable to be on the Reds than Madson?

I could live that bullpen. Shades of 1990 when you better get the Reds in innings 1-6 because after that, forget it.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Shouldn't we all be on the same page that Coco is much more probable to be on the Reds than Madson?
    You may be assuming that Cordero becomes very reasonable in his price tag.

Keep in mind Coco is coming off a huge contract. He may not be so willing to take one year, $5 million. He may sit tight for awhile and hold out for another pay day.

At the same time, Reds would likely be willing to go higher for Madson, certainly more years.

So I can see a dynamic where the Reds say, basically, "for that kind of money we might as well pay Madson."

So I don't know. I think it's increasingly likely they sign one of the two, as other options for these pitchers dry up.

I'm sure the thought of Madson instead of Coco has occurred to Walt. Just don't know how tight the bucks are right now in Castellini land.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I've been saying for a week that Madson will probably end up with the Reds. I truly believe that. I didn't believe it a few weeks ago, but the way the market is playing out, I believe it now. The Reds have a chance to wait things out and as much as Madson wants to close, I think the Reds are the one team remaining that is willing to give that opportunity.

I've been saying for a week that Madson will probably end up with the Reds. I truly believe that. I didn't believe it a few weeks ago, but the way the market is playing out, I believe it now. The Reds have a chance to wait things out and as much as Madson wants to close, I think the Reds are the one team remaining that is willing to give that opportunity.
    And I really hope so...but I've just got the feeling that I know how this movie ends.

I would say going into a season this is the best Reds staff since even prior to the BRM. In 1990 Jack Armstrong was an unknown who ended up being a nice suprise and Danny Jackson was coming off a lousy 89' season. All that was left was Rick Mahler, Jose Rijo and Tom Browning who had good years in 89' but were really nothing to special.

Of course this means little as it is all preseason look aheads but this staff looks as good as any Reds staff on paper anyway.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

A FA pitcher is always going to ask for a premium to come here, but hey, if it's his best chance to prove for a year that he's a legit closer, maybe he waives that. I honestly prefer a 1 year deal for Madson due to the payflex issue for next year. It limits the Reds' and Madson's risk as well. 1 year 10 million. The problem is, you still need a UT and a LF, so signing Lidge for 4 million may work out way better for the Reds. I'm thinking one other FA arm for the bullpen to go to AAA would be a good idea too. But yeah, this pitching staff is awesome so far. The coolest thing is when the whole staff tries to outdo the others...all of a sudden it's a 10 game win streak. It's been a long time since the Reds could pull one of those off. 1999, in fact.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Madson lost the game of musical chairs. What if the Reds offered him a one year deal? That way he could reenter the free agent market next year. Walt might be able to convince Bob to open up the purse strings a bit if its only a one year deal.

I am not a fan of paying relievers big bucks but if his price drops to 3 years/$21M sign me up. The Reds would still have some cash for Luke Scott.

Offer him 1 year at $8M or 3 years at $21M. if the Reds truly are in a 'win now' mode then Bob needs to up the payroll just a bit. I think the fans would respond attendance wise.

I would definitely offer him 1/$10 as I've been throwing 2/$20M around the last couple of weeks...

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

A 1 or 2 year deal with Madsen is fine by me. Always a chance by then someone else in the bullpen or farm system emerges. No reason to sign a long contract with a closer.

Turn Off Ads?