Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Reds 2002 and 1992 Previews

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hartford City, IN
    Posts
    324

    Reds 2002 and 1992 Previews

    With the slow news week (the front office seems to be taking a deserved week off for the holidays), I thought this 2002 Reds preview (wow that pitching staff was horrendous!) with the 1992 preview attached at the bottom (Greg Swindell is a "Clemens-type") was a fun read.

    http://www.thediamondangle.com/archi...n_preview.html

    How much better is it to be a Reds fan now than 10 years ago?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    839

    Re: Reds 2002 and 1992 Previews

    Holy smokes. Brings back memories (not all good, but not all bad).
    What if this is as good as it gets?

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,666

    Re: Reds 2002 and 1992 Previews

    Wow...Larkin not a HOF candidate according the the writer....

  5. #4
    Arbiter of Good Taste OGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,132

    Re: Reds 2002 and 1992 Previews

    Gives some perspective to all of the people talking about pillaging our farm system this offseason. We've had 1 winning season since 2002 and how many of the players from 2002's, "minor league system full of quality players" ever went on to have success at the major league level?
    I may not be fast, but I sure am slow.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    404

    Re: Reds 2002 and 1992 Previews

    Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Gives some perspective to all of the people talking about pillaging our farm system this offseason. We've had 1 winning season since 2002 and how many of the players from 2002's, "minor league system full of quality players" ever went on to have success at the major league level?
    Your missing the point. Not only did nothing of that era of farm system do anything in the majors, they were so bad, the Reds couldn't trade them for cheap hardware like Latos.

    FWIW, the 2002 pitching staff was the last "ok" staff for the next 4 years.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Mattoon, IL
    Posts
    71

    Re: Reds 2002 and 1992 Previews

    Love the 2002 preview. "The ace will be Joey Hamilton." Yikes!

  8. #7
    Arbiter of Good Taste OGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,132

    Re: Reds 2002 and 1992 Previews

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
    Your missing the point. Not only did nothing of that era of farm system do anything in the majors, they were so bad, the Reds couldn't trade them for cheap hardware like Latos.

    FWIW, the 2002 pitching staff was the last "ok" staff for the next 4 years.
    No, youre missing the point.

    Obviously, the Reds farm system wasn't in as good of shape overall back then as it has been the past 3-5 years, but there were still players that people deemed "untouchable," there were still prospects that fans and the front office projected to be good major league players and the backbone of this organization in the future.
    The Reds had one player from that era of the minor leagues (not counting Votto who was drafted that year) go on to be an above average big leaguer - Adam Dunn. The following is a collection of some of the Reds other top talent from 2002:

    Wily Mo Pena
    Austin Kearns
    Ben Broussard
    Ty Howington
    Ray Olmedo
    Steve Smitherman
    Travis Dawkins
    Bobby Basham
    Chris Denorfia
    Edwin Encarnacion
    Dustin Moseley
    Dane Sardinhia
    Daylan Childress
    Chris Gruler
    Brian Reith

    Obviously, this is a reflection of a poor front office, but any team, at any point in time is going to have an overwhelming minority of their farm system destined for mlb success. The Reds have had one winning season in the past decade. If it takes trading some minor league players who have no guarantee of big league success--and even if they do it might not be for 2-5 years-- to get established pros who have had excellent numbers the past two seasons, consider me all for it.
    In the end, without Latos and Marshall, the Reds probably aren't good enough to win the division or maybe even make the playoffs in 2012. With them, they may be good enough to win it all. I'll take that over another year of mediocrity and worrying about the future.
    I may not be fast, but I sure am slow.

  9. #8
    13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    839

    Re: Reds 2002 and 1992 Previews

    Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    No, youre missing the point.

    Obviously, the Reds farm system wasn't in as good of shape overall back then as it has been the past 3-5 years, but there were still players that people deemed "untouchable," there were still prospects that fans and the front office projected to be good major league players and the backbone of this organization in the future.
    The Reds had one player from that era of the minor leagues (not counting Votto who was drafted that year) go on to be an above average big leaguer - Adam Dunn. The following is a collection of some of the Reds other top talent from 2002:

    Wily Mo Pena
    Austin Kearns
    Ben Broussard
    Ty Howington
    Ray Olmedo
    Steve Smitherman
    Travis Dawkins
    Bobby Basham
    Chris Denorfia
    Edwin Encarnacion
    Dustin Moseley
    Dane Sardinhia
    Daylan Childress
    Chris Gruler
    Brian Reith

    Obviously, this is a reflection of a poor front office, but any team, at any point in time is going to have an overwhelming minority of their farm system destined for mlb success. The Reds have had one winning season in the past decade. If it takes trading some minor league players who have no guarantee of big league success--and even if they do it might not be for 2-5 years-- to get established pros who have had excellent numbers the past two seasons, consider me all for it.
    In the end, without Latos and Marshall, the Reds probably aren't good enough to win the division or maybe even make the playoffs in 2012. With them, they may be good enough to win it all. I'll take that over another year of mediocrity and worrying about the future.
    Very well said. I agree whole-heartedly. I wish you had said this to start a trhead, I would be very interested in the replies.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    404

    Re: Reds 2002 and 1992 Previews

    Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    No, youre missing the point.

    Obviously, the Reds farm system wasn't in as good of shape overall back then as it has been the past 3-5 years, but there were still players that people deemed "untouchable," there were still prospects that fans and the front office projected to be good major league players and the backbone of this organization in the future.
    The Reds had one player from that era of the minor leagues (not counting Votto who was drafted that year) go on to be an above average big leaguer - Adam Dunn. The following is a collection of some of the Reds other top talent from 2002:

    Wily Mo Pena
    Austin Kearns
    Ben Broussard
    Ty Howington
    Ray Olmedo
    Steve Smitherman
    Travis Dawkins
    Bobby Basham
    Chris Denorfia
    Edwin Encarnacion
    Dustin Moseley
    Dane Sardinhia
    Daylan Childress
    Chris Gruler
    Brian Reith

    Obviously, this is a reflection of a poor front office, but any team, at any point in time is going to have an overwhelming minority of their farm system destined for mlb success. The Reds have had one winning season in the past decade. If it takes trading some minor league players who have no guarantee of big league success--and even if they do it might not be for 2-5 years-- to get established pros who have had excellent numbers the past two seasons, consider me all for it.
    In the end, without Latos and Marshall, the Reds probably aren't good enough to win the division or maybe even make the playoffs in 2012. With them, they may be good enough to win it all. I'll take that over another year of mediocrity and worrying about the future.
    That list you made was weak weak stuff besides Kearns. Nobody wanted most of those players and the ones they did, were weak sauce value wise, not even close to Alonso, Grandel or Wood. The Reds tried to deal for a prime Brad Penny in 2002 and just didn't have anything the fish wanted, so they got Dempster instead. Maybe they should have dealt Kearns, but the Reds offense was already pretty weak.

    You must perform in the minors and have the talent other teams want.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25