Thread: Any EPL fans here?

Yep, season saving win?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Any EPL fans here?

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    Yep, season saving win?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    It's a big win for sure. They romped Chelsea a couple months back too and couldn't keep the momentum going so we'll see. I do like they Wenger shook up the line up a bit and shipped Arshavin out.

Not EPL, but I'm guessing all soccer is welcome in this thread.

Big win for the US over Italy today 1-0. Dempsey scored a great goal in the run of play on a lay off by Altidore. Great defense performance and a really solid game from Bradley as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Not EPL, but I'm guessing all soccer is welcome in this thread.

Big win for the US over Italy today 1-0. Dempsey scored a great goal in the run of play on a lay off by Altidore. Great defense performance and a really solid game from Bradley as well.
    Just watched it on DVR. Granted it was a friendly, but it was a big win against a team the US doesn't win against. I think the biggest change I noticed was sounder fundamental play than from the Bob Bradley era. Better passing, better first touch, more build-up from midfield rather than boot-and-chase. Maybe it's Klinsman and maybe it's more Americans playing in top-flight European leagues in England, Germany, the Netherlands, France and Italy, but the players definitely looked more polished.

The US is also starting to rely more on tactics than athleticism. It was interesting to see them take a high line on defense, play the offside trap, and work defenders into the attack. Bradley has definitely seen marked improvement from playing in Italy. Altidore and Dempsey were impressive as well. Klinsman has also been working new faces into the lineup. If they can build on this win, the future looks bright.

On a side note, I think Alexi Lalas is an idiot. At the half, all he did was complain about whaat they weren't doing instead of looking at what they were doing right. Yes, Giovinco was getting behind the line of defense, but it was mostly by design. It can be dangerous, but Giovinco is speedy enough to beat our central defense from an onside position, so why not play higher and force him offsides. Then at the end he praises them for "going back to the old ways" by bunkering down. I don't mind them playing it safe to take away a first win from Italy in Italy. However, I want to see continued improvement at the tactical level so that the US can win more games against top teams on goals in the course of play rather than relying on athleticism to get goals from headers, set pieces, and outrunning the defense on long passes. I can handle them taking some lumps in future games if they can learn and prepare themselves to play better in the future. Klinsman was brought in to help the US play with the big boys in 2014 and that means working on playing smarter.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I'd also like to give some praise to Italy for their play as well. I've been one of the biggest critics of the Italian style of play on this board but I can recognize changes for the better in the Azzuri. They still played tough on defense, but I noticed a definite shift from the cynical play of the past. It seems they're moving away from the hard foul and flop style epitomized by Gattuso and Matterazzi to a more possession oriented style. They're a team in transition, but if they can improve without reverting to the old ways, maybe I won't hate them so much at the next World Cup. I found it ironic that the most egregious foul in the game was Bocanegra's open field body tackle in the second half.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Goodbye AVB. 8 months at Chelsea was all you get.

My man crush on Dempsey is growing to epic levels. He has made every Fulham game a must watch. Is he taking the "best American player ever" crown away from the recently crowned Donovan? Also, anyone think he is getting a call soon from one of the big boys?
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    My man crush on Dempsey is growing to epic levels. He has made every Fulham game a must watch. Is he taking the "best American player ever" crown away from the recently crowned Donovan? Also, anyone think he is getting a call soon from one of the big boys?
    They are both great. Dempsey's form of late has been unreal and I hope he can keep it up until Brazil.

I think if he gets a big boy call up it will be outside the EPL, unless Chelsea wants to really start over and I'm not sure how much Fulham wants to help them out anyways.

I've seriously considered getting a Fulham jersey with "Deuce" on it. I've actually started looking ahead in the TV sched to see when Fulham's on.

Arsenal just won their 5th in a row and are now only a point behind Spurs for 3rd. Never thought I'd be able to type that a month ago.

Thrilling finish against Newcastle today too. Scored a late (very late) winner on a breakout. Love the Watch ESPN app for the iPhone!

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Anyone watching Man U-Chelsea on Fox? Sturridge gets a goal on a bankshot off Man U's Evans. Well own goal on Evans, but not really a fair description
    That's something I guess I don't get. There are plays where an offensive player will obviously bank it off a defender and the defender didn't seem to be able to do anything about it, but it invariably gets called an own goal. Shouldn't a forward get a bit of credit for pulling off that play? Just something that always kind of bugged me.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

I guess everyone has seen this. Really puts things in perspective.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ack-pitch.html
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    I guess everyone has seen this. Really puts things in perspective.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ack-pitch.html
    It is always shocking when an otherwise healthy young person collapses during a sporting event. I'll never forget watching Hank Gathers die. So sad.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Stuff like this leaves a sick feeling in my gut, seeing a guy in his prime go out like that. I can still remember when Reggie Lewis' heart gave out on the court in an NBA game.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Turn Off Ads?