Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Any EPL fans here?

Re: Any EPL fans here?

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    There is a very interesting article on Deadspin that catalogues some twitter responses to ESPN showing the game on their top network. I won't link to it because the responses are beyond foul, but if you are so inclined...
    Thanks for the heads up. That is hilarious.
    I love the anger soccer generates with people. I can't think of any other sport that generates that type of response. I really don't understand why you can't like soccer and football or whatever.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I love the anger soccer generates with people. I can't think of any other sport that generates that type of response. I really don't understand why you can't like soccer and football or whatever.
    I think a lot of sports fans have been getting into soccer. I went to a concert Saturday night and was surprised when the other guys in my group were suddenly talking about the big ManU-Man City match and how they were going try to work from home to be able to watch it. I think the anti-soccer crowd is getting smaller. Many follow the NFL and the EPL and/or MLS as well. In fact, I think I heard somewhere that, among the 18-35 set, soccer is rapidly gaining in popularity and could be the #2 sport behind the NFL at some point in the near future for that age group. I think ESPN/ABC, FOX, and even NBC (who signed a deal to put MLS on their NBCSports channel) knows it, which is why we're seeing more and more soccer on TV.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Americans don't grasp soccer because it's not traditionally a sport that fathers taught their boys (that's changing) Plus it's a world wide sport, not solely an american invention.

It doesn't resonate deep enough yet, it doesn't scream AMERICA is #1!!

Therefore it's to be ridiculed

Pretty sad if you ask me.

That game yesterday was awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I think a lot of sports fans have been getting into soccer. I went to a concert Saturday night and was surprised when the other guys in my group were suddenly talking about the big ManU-Man City match and how they were going try to work from home to be able to watch it. I think the anti-soccer crowd is getting smaller. Many follow the NFL and the EPL and/or MLS as well. In fact, I think I heard somewhere that, among the 18-35 set, soccer is rapidly gaining in popularity and could be the #2 sport behind the NFL at some point in the near future for that age group. I think ESPN/ABC, FOX, and even NBC (who signed a deal to put MLS on their NBCSports channel) knows it, which is why we're seeing more and more soccer on TV.
    It is absolutely growing and I agree that vocal group is getting smaller. There is way more access to watching European soccer now and the quality of play in the MLS has increased a lot in the past few years. I've had LA Galaxy season tickets for the past few years and I've really noticed a more diverse and more importantly, a vocal and supportive crowd at games than ever before.

I was speaking more towards how vocal people who claim to not like soccer are. WOY makes some good points as to why, but I still find it interesting. I don't see people going out of their way to rail on hockey or tennis or horse racing.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Americans don't grasp soccer because it's not traditionally a sport that fathers taught their boys (that's changing) Plus it's a world wide sport, not solely an american invention.

It doesn't resonate deep enough yet, it doesn't scream AMERICA is #1!!

Therefore it's to be ridiculed

Pretty sad if you ask me.

That game yesterday was awesome
    Think a World Cup win would change some of that? Have to wonder what the chances are of pulling that off one of these years.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Think a World Cup win would change some of that? Have to wonder what the chances are of pulling that off one of these years.
    IMO it absolutely would, but it is also unlikely to actually happen. I think the US team has the potential to get better quick due to the resources we have, but skill wise we are pretty far away from actually winning the World Cup absent the dumbest of dumb luck. If we were to even make it to the final four in the next couple World Cups that would be an amazing accomplishment.

IMO it absolutely would, but it is also unlikely to actually happen. I think the US team has the potential to get better quick due to the resources we have, but skill wise we are pretty far away from actually winning the World Cup absent the dumbest of dumb luck. If we were to even make it to the final four in the next couple World Cups that would be an amazing accomplishment.
    Weaker teams have made it to the semifinals in the World Cup. Some national teams have made it far with mediocre talent when they have one or two rare talents who can put the team on their backs and carry them to victory. The draw can also be a big determining factor. With a favorable draw, I think the US could make it to the semis in 2014 or 2018. With an unfavorable draw, they get stuck in a "Group of Death" and go home early.

I think the skill level for US talent is improving as more US players ply their trade in top-flight European leagues and MLS teams have been importing solid players from Central and South America instead of relying solely on European retirees to boost the league.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    World Cup win would be a big change, as the 1980 Hockey win was a precursor to southern USA expansion.

Real change will occur in a generation.

However the fight uphill is almost over, the game is loved by a LOT of people, unfortunately they don't buy tickets at the rate of the other sports fans... but they also don't get the media exposure the other sports do (example: today USA Today had a front page story (Sports page) on who was slotted first for the 2013 NFL draft... 2013.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

F.A. Cup final in four hours, and the traditional start time has been bumped a couple hours, partly for better viewing times in the U.S. That had to say something. Sir Alex is not amused: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...-kick-off.html
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

I guess Arsenal doesnt want to play Champions League football

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    I guess Arsenal doesnt want to play Champions League football
    Thank you Villa!

WOW! That is what sports is all about right there. Man City goes down a goal to a 10 man QPR, spends the next 20 minutes assaulting the goal before finally getting two in in stoppage time. That was the most dramatic soccer game I have ever watched. Unbelievable!

Oh and Arsenal won a great game and gets to play in the Champions League.

Unfathomable.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Stunning

Wow I still can't believe what I just watched. I'm trying to think of a better sporting event that I've seen.

Turn Off Ads?