Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #19 prospect?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3B Junior Arias

1 2.38%
  • RHP Andrew Brackman

5 11.90%
  • 1B/3B Sean Buckley

0 0%
  • RHP Tim Crabbe

5 11.90%
  • LHP Amir Garrett

2 4.76%
  • UT Brodie Greene

2 4.76%
  • LHP Ismael Guillon

0 0%
  • LHP Donnie Joseph

4 9.52%
  • 1B Donald Lutz

10 23.81%
  • OF Denis Phipps

4 9.52%
  • RHP Dan Renken

0 0%
  • RHP Mark Serrano

0 0%
  • RHP Josh Smith

4 9.52%
  • OF Kyle Waldrop

1 2.38%
  • 2B Ryan Wright

3 7.14%
  • other (please list below)

1 2.38%

Thread: Who is Redszone's #19 prospect?

Who is Redszone's #19 prospect?

#1 C Devin Mesoraco
    #2 SS Billy Hamilton
    #3 SS Zack Cozart
    #4 RHP Dan Corcino
    #5 RHP Robert Stephenson
    #6 1B Neftali Soto
    #7 OF Yorman Rodriguez
    #8 UT Todd Frazier
    #9 SS Didi Gregorius
    #10 2B Henry Rodriguez
    #11 LHP Tony Cingrani
    #12 OF Juan Duran
    #13 RHP Kyle Lotzkar
    #14 3B Gabriel Rosa
    #15 C Tucker Barnhart
    #16 3B David Vidal
    #17 RHP J.C. Sulbaran
    #18 OF Ryan LaMarre

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Who is Redszone's #19 prospect?

I am drinking the Donald Lutz kool-aid at this point. Big power potential. Had good numbers this season. I would like to see him walk more, but he can hit to all fields and with power.

Since Judy isn't available, I'm also going with Lutz. I like his learning curve and power, along with the hitting tool. I also like that he's going to likely end up at least major league average around the bag and likely much more.

I voted other. It was for RHP Josh Judy.

Well, I wanted to see if Lutz was in the running before I voted. I've voted him the last few times and had decided to move off him for a poll or two if he didn't have a chance. But by the looks of it . . .

Yeah--power, hit tool, athletic ability, learning curve, upside . . .

Just looking at the stats, Lutz makes me nervous.

Strike one: 4 Ks for every BB
    Strike two: Limited to 1B (?)
    Strike three: 22 years old in A ball

I like the power, but that seems to be all he has going for him.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Hopping on the Ryan Wright train here... Valuable position to have a guy that can handle the stick...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post

1. His K rate lessened to acceptable levels in the second half of the season. (He struck out only 50 times in 270 ABs for a K rate 18.8%.) He also walked 19 times in that half for a K:BB rate of 2.5-ish. Not great, but he showed some improvement. Too, in past seasons, he's around that rate, perhaps a little better.
    2. He does seem to be limited to 1B, but has been praised as improving to such a level as he may end up being a plus glove. Too, his power will play anywhere as will his hitting tool.
    3. He had a late start. If he continues to progress at one level per year, he'll be a major leaguer in four years, at age 26. Not great, but not horrid. I suspect, however, he'll be aggressively moved from Bakersfield to AA, as A+ in that particular bandbox teaches little but confidence and bad habits to power hitters like Lutz. A first half of 900 OPS or better and he's suddenly right on track, with half a season of AA as a 23 year old. 1B Dominic D'Anna is also a decent prospect (C+ or so) and due to go to A+. There's nobody in AA right now to play 1B unless you like Chris Richburg. (You shouldn't.)

Voting Crabbe, since I think Garrett will take a few rounds to pick up steam. I like Lutz though, and don't think his age should be that much of a deterrent. Besides, while 1B isn't exactly a hot defensive position, Lutz can apparently play it capably, and Alonso was pretty well regarded despite being limited to there. That 2nd half breakout was very nice.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I went with Crabbe again here, but I have no objection to Lutz. Lutz is a very intriguing prospect who I hope shows great strides in 2012.

Scrap Irony, I agree with your time table for Lutz. I think it should be very similar to what I proposed with Vidal. Let them show they can do what they should do in Bakersfield for a little while and then call them up to Pensacola for the second half. Challenge they hitters, coddle thy pitchers.

Should we put Billy Hamilton on the same track as Vidal and Lutz? I don't know. Hamilton took a whole half season to really get going last year and didn't really get going the way Lutz did in the second half. If Billy is really tearing up Bakersfield, I guess I have no problem calling him up to Pensacola in the second half. Pensacola could be exciting by the end of 2012. They could have Barnhart, Vidal, Hamilton, Lutz and maybe even Yorman up in the lineup with Sulbaran, Corcino and Crabbe in the rotation.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post

Normally Rick, I would be right there with you. But Lutz isn't 22 years old in baseball terms. When the Reds signed him, he had hardly even played organized baseball.

He is probably limited to first base, but he is fast enough to play left field if they wanted to go that route.

His K/BB improved big time in the second half. He needs to walk more though.

LHP Donnie Joseph

The kids has some good stuff and I think he'll pitch very well this year become a potential closer of the future.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

I know I voted for Crabbe in the last poll, but now that you've added Wright again, I have no choice but to vote for him!

After a brief flirtation with Phipps I'm back on the Crabbewagon...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Turn Off Ads?