Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Quentin to Pads for 2 minor league pitchers

Quentin to Pads for 2 minor league pitchers

Per MLB Trade Rumors via twitter...

Seems like we coulda but did not want any.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Quentin to Pads for 2 minor league pitchers

Heres one trade ole Walt shouldve made in his win now attitude. Quentin hitting number 4 in the Reds lineup would've looked nice. Guess the money was to much.

This definitely feels like something we could have done, but were hogtied in terms of budget and remaining prospects. So much money is going to go towards the effort of paying for when the young guys enter arbitration and a Phillips extension, not to mention. I doubt we make an offer over 1 year 7 million for a closer.

It's an odd move for the Padres though. They're traditionally a cheap, small market team, but have basically taken expensive 1 year rentals off of other teams' hands for cheap (Quentin, Street). Yet they trade their biggest star, Latos, and are coming off a last place finish in the NL West. What exactly is their plan?

Also seems to me like the White Sox have turned into a train wreck of a team. Their expensive signing of Dunn may pay off in negative WAR, they've now lost Buehrle and Quentin for scraps, and Konerko is getting significantly older. Weird trade for both sides.
    Last edited by The DARK; 12-31-2011 at 03:10 PM.

I'm not a big Carlos Quentin fan. He's atrocious on defense and is extremely fragile. He does hit homers, but that's really all that he does. He's kind of a poor man's Adam Dunn without the durability.

I still think Jocketty may be targeting Cespedes since he won't cost any prospects and is the only remaining FA with the capability to make a big splash in a corner OF spot.

part of BBN

I just dont understand why Walt basically admitted nothing would be done till after the new year. Others teams arent taking off and he could miss out on a good deal in the process.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    I'm not a big Carlos Quentin fan. He's atrocious on defense and is extremely fragile. He does hit homers, but that's really all that he does. He's kind of a poor man's Adam Dunn without the durability.

I still think Jocketty may be targeting Cespedes since he won't cost any prospects and is the only remaining FA with the capability to make a big splash in a corner OF spot.
    I would take that in lieu of a Christmas present.
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Quentin? Playing defense? In that enormous outfield?

This was one of my top players I wish the Reds would have traded for. He may be a below average RF, but him in LF would give the Reds a better option in LF the last 2 years. RH in the 4 slot hitting 30+HR, 90+ RBI would be great.

am i the only 1 that thinks Cespedes is super risky for a team like the reds?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsnake View Post
    This was one of my top players I wish the Reds would have traded for. He may be a below average RF, but him in LF would give the Reds a better option in LF the last 2 years. RH in the 4 slot hitting 30+HR, 90+ RBI would be great.
    I think it's worth noting he hasn't hit 30+ HR or driven in 90 or more runs since 2008. Also, he has a career -31.9 UZR in the outfield, which is slightly worse than "below average." All in all, I'd say he's not worth a projected 7.5 million salary + the prospects required to obtain him.

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    From the looks of his workout video, the Reds and the Bengals should go 50/50.

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    Absolutely it is, but when you're in "win now" mode, you've gotta take risks. How much worse could it get than another lost decade, anyhow?

I don't think the Reds brass are interested in signing a major risk to fill the hole in LF with a guy like Cespedas. We don't know if the guy can hit at the major league level and there are sure to be bumps along the way in his development when he signs somewhere. I don't think (for 2012 anyway) he offers any more upside than a Frazier/Heisey platoon.

You can do alot worse than Quentin...

1) Still young, only 29
    2) Doesn't strike out alot (84 is his highest)
    3) Decent OBP (.346 career)
    4) Don't think his defense is as bad as others have stated (0.7 dWAR last year)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    You can do alot worse than Quentin...

4) Don't think his defense is as bad as others have stated (0.7 dWAR last year)
    His defense is hard to figure out. In 2010, his -24.3UZR gave him one of the worst defensive seasons of all time, but he rebounded with a positive UZR (and a positive dWAR, as you mentioned) in 2011. Maybe he figured things out between 2010 and 2011, or his instincts improved, or he lost some weight and gained some range, but it will be interesting to see what happens with his defense this year.

Turn Off Ads?