5 4.67%
  • Minor League Baseball

0 0%
  • Major League Baseball

1 0.93%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How Far Did You Get?

How Far Did You Get?

So what what was the highest level you achieved at the game of baseball? I got as far as playing all 4 years in HS and really I was lucky to of gotten that far. I went to a small catholic HS on the eastside of Indianapolis that at the time had a pretty good baseball reputation. The Varsity coach my Jr year took a liking to me because while i wasn't the most talented I went to alot of camps which weren't real common in the 80's and really worked my butt off in practice. In the playoffs which are called Sectionals the #2 and #10 ranked team in the state and the defending Indianapolis City Champs were in the sectional but our team which finished a little above .500 caught fire and went on to win Sectionals. We later were beat badly in the next round in the Regionals but to win a Sectional as tough as that one was is something I am proud of to this day. College baseball really wasn't an option because I really wasn't that good but I am proud and satisfied to of gotten as far as 4 years of HS baseball.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 01-01-2012 at 04:54 PM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How Far Did You Get?

Little League, still playing (LL-Seniors this season) (#9-2B/IF)

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Baseball was my sport pretty much exclusively until I discovered that I was an ambidextrous soccer player. By the time I was 14, I was playing year round, fall, spring and indoor.
    There was one incident that sealed my fate as a former baseball player- it was the moment I realized that I could not keep up with the speed of pitching that I was starting to see. Unfortunately, I learned later that hitting a baseball is more about timing and rhythm than about power, but having cruddy coaching will do that.

I continued to play softball because I absolutely loved playing infield, which I was very good at. Played Shortstop all through knothole and it was where I always ended up in softball, too. At one point, I played five nights a week in Cincinnati.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

No beer league?

Clubleague baseball in Australia. Lowest level, and i was lousy.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I played as a freshman in high school and was done after that. I have played a few years in an adult rec league, but that was 10 years ago and I was as (not) good as I was as a freshman.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I peaked around age 9 and was out of the game by 13. Losing your vision (and not realizing it) while also playing the same position as the coaches son two years in a row is a bad combination.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I just finished up my last season of small college baseball back in the Spring. It's going to be tough here in a few weeks when my old teammates start up practice again and I won't be there. It will be the first time that I haven't had a baseball season in about 18 years.

I had a good career, but it was probably for the best for it to end. My body was starting to wear down during these last two years. Both shoulders and knees were bothering me from all the years of running wild in the outfield .
    This will not change until the Reds win the World Series.......

April 28, 2006.

Every year from age 4-15. Played varsity as a freshman at a big HS here in Cincinnati. Tore my rotator cuff that same year, reconstructive surgery, and that was that. Thought about walking-on to my small-college team, but decided against it.

Just this year, shoulder began acting up again and an MRI/CT Scan showed that the original surgery didn't repair all of the initial damage. So all in all, it's a good thing I didn't keep playing. Still miss it everyday though.

-Matt

Never played any organized baseball. When I was a kid, there was one Little League team for the town (back in the stone age there was nowhere near the number of organized teams as there is now) and I didn't make the team. So that was my one shot and I never tried out again. My sport was basketball.

Played tons of backyard and schoolyard baseball and other baseball-ish games. Played about 6-7 years of beer league softball.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

JV as a senior in HS, a beast on the softball fields at 1B to this day.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I played with Kevin Youkilis, which combined with my lack of talent, drastically reduced my playing time. Following that and multiple shoulder surgeries, I lost interest in playing.

played 4 years of college ball at a NAIA school and then later on coached there for a couple of years

Division 1 college.

4 yrs of HS, 1 college practice. 3B/closer. Didn't throw smoke but had a nice deuce.

Turn Off Ads?