Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mark Fleury (Catcher, UNC)

Mark Fleury (Catcher, UNC)

He looks pretty interesting...playing in a tough ACC league.

Anyone know what his defense is like?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mark Fleury (Catcher, UNC)

Most scouts like Fluery because they feel he is pretty polished and comes from a good college program known to turn out good prospects. Scouting report reads like this:

Fluery’s above-average power, strong throwing arm, and solid defensive reputation make him an easy top ten round caliber collegiate catching prospect.
    Plus most like his patience at the plate which is not a bad thing for the Reds to become involved with.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

From UNC's website:

SOPHOMORE (2008)
    Teamed with Tim Federowicz to give the Tar Heels one of the nation's top catching tandems • Saw action in 61 games and made 38 starts - 15 at catcher and 23 at designated hitter • Hit .275 (41-149) with three home runs, eight doubles and 25 RBI • Also added 20 runs scored and 21 walks • Posted a .389 slugging percentage and reached base at a .360 clip • Went 5-for-18 as a pinch hitter • Batted .303 (23-76) in ACC play and hit .385 (5-13) in the NCAA Tournament • Hit safely in a career-best eight straight games from March 4-15 • Named to the NCAA Cary Regional All-Tournament Team after going 4-for-4 with two doubles and a home run in the regional • Matched career highs with three hits, two runs and three RBI on a three-run homer versus UNC Wilmington in the June 1 regional final • Went 3-for-5 with a career-high three RBI and first career home run at Duke March 9 • Also had two or more hits in all three games of the Duke series and finished with five RBI in the series • Also homered against Boston College April 18 • Went 2-for-2 with three walks against Clemson April 11 • Was 2-for-5 with two RBI at Maryland March 22 • Also added two hits against No. 14 Georgia Tech April 6 • Finished with nine multi-hit games on the season • Drove in game-winning run in the April 27 win over No. 2 Florida State with a 10th-inning walk • Finished with three RBI in the series win over the Seminoles • Reached base three times and drove in a run against No. 3 Florida State May 24 in the ACC Tournament. Summer 2008: Played 22 games, mainly at catcher, for the Cape League champion Harwich Mariners • Hit .238 (20-84) with two home runs, two doubles and a triple • Also drove in 14 runs • Co-winner of the PA SportsTicker Star of Stars Playoff MVP Award after hitting a walk-off bases-loaded single to lift the Mariners to the league title in game two of the championship series • Also helped lead the East team to an 8-6 comeback win with an eighth-inning home run in the Under Armour Cape Cod League All-Star Game • Earned Coca-Cola Player of the Week honors July 21 after posting a .462 batting average (12-26) with four extra-base hits, including two home runs, and nine RBI in six games.

FRESHMAN (2007)
    Saw action in 10 games and hit .286 (2-for-7) • Singled against Towson March 20 and UNC Wilmington April 3 • Scored a run versus Davidson March 28 • Drew three walks on the season • Did not record an error behind the plate • Played in a pair of ACC games. Summer 2007: Played with the Keene Swamp Bats of the New England Collegiate Baseball League • Hit .235 (16-68) with five RBI in 20 games • Stole three bases and posted a .966 fielding percentage.

POPE HIGH SCHOOL
    Played two seasons at Pope High School for coach Jeff Rowland • Also played two seasons at the Marist School in Atlanta • All-state selection as a senior and named MVP of Georgia state tournament • Earned All-Cobb County honors from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and Marietta Daily Journal • Also played two years of football at Marist • Played summer ball with the East Cobb Yankees.

PERSONAL
    Mark Anthony Fleury is the son of Mike and Diane Fleury • Born May 4, 1988, in Roswell, Ga. • Has two older sisters • Majoring in communication studies at Carolina • Father played shortstop at Cornell University • Lists favorite MLB team is the Atlanta Braves • Favorite movies are "Boondock Saints" and "The Departed" • Favorite athlete is Cal Ripken, Jr. • Favorite video game is "MLB The Show" • Would like to switch places for a day with Mike Fox so that he could coach Dustin Ackley.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Johnny Bench was a 2nd round pick. Just sayin'.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

So am I understand where the NCAA tournament stands, Arizona State is playing UNC? So Leake could face Fleury?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    So am I understand where the NCAA tournament stands, Arizona State is playing UNC? So Leake could face Fleury?
    Yes they play Sunday afternoon at 2 pm on ESPN. I'm setting my DVR for that one.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I live in CH, and have seen him play the last couple years here. Good catcher, not great, good hitter, again, not great. He is one of those players who is not great at any one aspect of the game in itself, but has high baseball IQ, good instincts, and does a good job at all things throughout the game without being a superstar. I am glad to see the Reds get him, I would rate him a lil higher level then our other catching prospects overall, without actually seeing them much, just on what I have read or others say.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

He bats lefty, correct? 'Cause I love me some left-hand-hitting catchers...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Yep, only thing better would be a switch hitting catcher who can actually hit from both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Yes he does and as bounty stated he's a pretty solid hitter.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by ochoa30 View Post
    Yep, only thing better would be a switch hitting catcher who can actually hit from both sides.
    Like our 10th round pick Barnhart.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Does anyone have a comparison for Fleury?

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    Joe Mauer....

J/K but seriously that's a tough one. A reasonably disciplined LH hitter with 15-20 HR potential maybe a .260ish hitter. I'd call him a LH hitting version of Hanigan with more pop, less contact and Ramon-ish defensively (I think Hanigan has a better arm than either). That's the best I can do on the little I've read on him.

--Woody Hayes

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    Jeff Reed? Eddie Taubensee?

Fleury's my guy, first to show. Hand's off! The rest of you can't have him!
    Never overlook the obvious

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    Jeff Reed? Eddie Taubensee?
    Craig Tatum? Dane Sardinha?

Turn Off Ads?