Turn Off Ads?

Thread: puzzling stat lines:

puzzling stat lines:

Andrew Bowman

2010: era/5.16 innings pitched/66.1 hits allowed/64 hr allowed/2 strikeouts/51 bb allowed/46

2011: era/4.50 innings pitched/68.0 hits allowed/62 hr allowed/2 strikeouts/81 bb allowed/56

I've never read much about this guy, but after looking at his stat line I was wondering what the scouting reports on him were. First thing I noticed is that he walks way too many batters to be a trusted reliever at the MLB level, at least for now. However combining his two year totals reveals he hasn't been hit significantly, giving up less than a hit per inning while striking out nearly a hitter per inning.

Additionally i thought it was interesting that despite his apparent wildness he hasn't surrendered many hits. To me this is odd, because without seeing the pitcher I assume that this wildness is going to get the pitcher into hitter's counts much more frequently than a guy with better command. For example, I wonder how often Bowman had to take something off or serve up a drive-able cookie to the hitter just in order to avoid walking him.

Once again, despite the wildness, in 134 ip, he has only surrendered 4 hrs over the last two seasons, this last year coming in what I thought was supposed to be a hitter friendly environment of Bakersfield and the Cal league. his groundball tendencies and hr allowed would seem to be a fit playing in GABP, assuming they could be maintained climbing the ladder.

as a reliever, a guy with those overall numbers probably isn't worth mentioning but I just thought they were a bit puzzling and mysterious. What is his deal? Is he a trick pitcher? Ineffectively/effectively wild? Is he worth a speculative wager as a long shot?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: puzzling stat lines:

What's mysterious about his numbers?

Bowman's clearly ineffectively wild at this point. He apparently has good enough stuff to miss bats in A ball, and shows some nice groundball tendencies, but no one survives with that kind of walk rate.

Re: puzzling stat lines:

Just looks to me like he's got good stuff that he has trouble controlling.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?