Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Jacksonville Jaguars

2012 Jacksonville Jaguars

At last..... the (regular) season is over and the Jags can start looking for a coach and getting the new owner in place. Excitement is high in town.

Here's what we know so far about the coaching search:

They are concentrating on Offensive Coordinators, which makes sense since we have a solid defense and offense is where we have been lacking for years. The names "confirmed" so far:

1. Rod Chudzinski the OC for the Panthers
    2. Brian Shottenheimer OC for the Jets
    3. Mike Mularkey OC for the Falcons
    4. Bill O'Brien OC for the Patriots
    5. Mike McCoy OC for the Broncos

and believe it or not......

6. Jim Tressel (the source says 3 or 4 teams are talking to him).

Names which have NOT surfaced so far are the "prior coaches"

1. Gruden
    2. Fisher

And a little surprising, no mention of Jay Gruden, who would seem to fit in the above list and had been thought of as a good fit.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 01-02-2012 at 07:19 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2012 Jacksonville Jaguars

If they're looking for an offensive coach, Tressel should be like 90th on the list, and that may be being generous.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I actually think Tressel's style would go over much better in Jacksonville and in the NFL than it ever did in college. And he had CRAZY success in college, just to be clear .

Some updates.... one source in mainstream press says Jay Gruden is the favorite for the job. No more Tressel talk. And one source says Cowher is in play.

New owner (as of today) Khan says people will be surprised how quickly they hire a coach. Some interviews are done. Only name we know has interviewed was the Interim coach Mel Tucker.

Most in town would like him to stay in town as DC but not Head Coach.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 01-04-2012 at 11:48 PM.

Let's hope not.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

NFLN says it's Mike Mularkey.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Yeah, I don't get this. He was not a good head coach in Buffalo. What makes them think he will be in Jax?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Once again the NFL recycles mediocrity.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    This is very true and something I've never understood. It's like teams are so afraid to hire someone without head coaching experience, that they'd rather hire someone with that experience who wasn't any good.

By all accounts Mularkey was in over his head as a HC in Buffalo. A guy can be a great coordinator because he's a good x's and o's guy. But the skill set to be a head coach is completely different. How many times have we seen this happen in the NFL? I know it's a lot. I can't think of many situations, if any, where a guy was a poor head coach one place only to be a good one somewhere else.

It's disappointing. I think the new owner laid an egg with his first big decision. I hope Mularkey proves me wrong. He sure didn't look like much of an offensive coach against the Giants defense this past weekend. And by a lot of accounts, Matt Ryan has not lived up to his potential in Atlanta. He's been good, but I think most believe he should be better. This makes very little sense to me for the Jags.

Have a heart for Matt Ryan. Remember his QB coach is Bob Bratkowski. I'm wondering if Atl will double down and move him to OC now that Mularkey is gone

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Everyone looking for the next Belichick.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Well we have a coach. Like most people around here, I was hoping for the next young gun. My favorites were probably Gruden and Chudzinski. If for nothing else the excitement factor.

By and large the fan reaction was much like the reaction here.

Listening to the local sports radio station in town after the press conference, has made me feel better. Khan emphasized that he personally had talked extensively to people around the NFL. One of the local guys has a Pittsburgh connection, and he says he knows there was a 45 minute call between Cowher and Khan. He does not know if there was a discussion of whether Cowher was interested in the job. But he does know that Cowher was heavily advocating the hiring of Mularkey. We know that Khan talked to Belichek and Dungy also.

Khan interviewed Mularkey for 4 hours yesterday. There were other interviews scheduled. Khan cancelled them and hired Mularkey before he left town.

In his interview, Mularkey was asked about Gabbert. He said he had reviewed several of Gabberts games. And that Atlanta's QB coach had watched 2 of them. Bratkowski. That certainly seems to indicate that Bratkowski is going to come here also.

I pay very little attention to the jags, because cincinnati doesn't play them. But, i do root for Brock Bolen. Hope he gets some more playing time.
    Just a dude who loves the reds, and some new sneakers.

I think Mularkey is a very good OC but head coaching is another job entirely. Perhaps he'll do better his 2nd time around but it was pretty ugly for him in his previous head coaching gig.

I pity Gabbert if Bratkowski is his OC.

So what are all those guys who Khan called gonna say about Mularkey? It's not like they're going to tell them not to hire, that he'd be terrible, and that it would be a big mistake. I don't think that would make me feel any more comfortable. He already was a HC, and a very poor one. But it's possible it was a bad situation and didn't reflect accurately on his true ability to be a head coach in the NFL. I hope this turns out to be the case and that he proves me wrong. It would be nice to have a winning team in town.

Turn Off Ads?