bullpen
    LS Bray
    LR Lecure
    SU Masset
    SU Onduesck
    CL Marshall

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Lineup, Rotation, and Bullpen

I agree, with the exception of Rolen, he won't hit that far down at the beginning of the season. Dusty will stick him fourth to split up the lefties.

I think Stubbs hits in front of our catcher.

Would Stubbs fit best as the Reds 8th place hitter? At 8th, when he got on base he could often steal second and/or be bunted over to 2nd or 3rd by the Pitcher. Of course, he's got some power so he might be ok in the 6/7th hole too. I just don't want him hitting anywhere near the top of the order - I hope we have better alternatives there.

Quote Originally Posted by rgslone View Post
    Would Stubbs fit best as the Reds 8th place hitter? At 8th, when he got on base he could often steal second and/or be bunted over to 2nd or 3rd by the Pitcher. Of course, he's got some power so he might be ok in the 6/7th hole too. I just don't want him hitting anywhere near the top of the order - I hope we have better alternatives there.
    Not a bad idea, his walks should go up, maybe give him some confidence at the plate. I think last year Stubbs' biggest problem was his head, the K's started to pile up, he lost confidence, and wasn't sure how to get out of it.

I would be shocked if Chapman even smells cincy as a SP this season. Maybe come after the all star break but he has alot of work needed on the AA/AAA level to work on his mechanics and durability.

i say midseason if everything goes right

also no way rolen hits 8th

It pains Dusty to write any name other than Stubbs in the leadoff position. Everyone knows the CF leads off and the SS bats second. Think about it for a second; Dusty loves to begin the game with the CF and SS in the first two slots, two players who are generally in the game for their defensive prowess. That only makes sense in BakerWorld.

Personally i'm hoping that Phillips tells dusty he wants to keep leading off because he did great at the end of last season and unless something has changed with him he should stay there. As for splitting up the lefties i could see th reds putting Mesoraco or maybe even heisey in the four hole to do that. Personaly i see no problem with the back to back lefties but thats me.

Quote Originally Posted by alett12 View Post
    Personally i'm hoping that Phillips tells dusty he wants to keep leading off because he did great at the end of last season and unless something has changed with him he should stay there. As for splitting up the lefties i could see th reds putting Mesoraco or maybe even heisey in the four hole to do that. Personaly i see no problem with the back to back lefties but thats me.
    I agree about the back to back LHers, especially when one of them is Votto. In fact, last year, Votto actually fared better against LHP than he did against right handed pitching (.422 wOBA vs L, .397 wOBA vs R). Unfortunately, I doubt Baker is either 1) aware of that stat or 2) would acknowledge that it obviates the problem of back-to-back LHers.

As for Phillips, I also hope he continues to lead off. Over the last three years, he has a .794OPS as a leadoff hitter, and a .741OPS as a number four hitter. That split was even more pronounced last year (.990 vs. .715), and while the magnitude of that split is probably partly a product of a smaller sample size, it seems like the leadoff spot really does do something to improve Phillips' approach at the plate: Batting leadoff last year, he struck out less frequently and walked more often than when he hit cleanup, and I hope Dusty gives him the chance to continue that success.

Bailey is our 4. have to split up the soft tossers. Id like to see Arroyo in the 5 spot but I bet he is our 3. I still wish we would just let Chapman close. marshall would be a premier set-up man.

I shouldn't say chapman will start in cinci but the 1st guy goes down he's the guy they have to call on. they really don't have anyone at louisville and lecure isn't going back to the rotation from my POV but the orginazation seems to think chapman will be a great starter so i guess it means someone has to go and as much as i wish it would be bronson, i've got the feeling it will be homer due to injury history and the fact leake was the 2nd best guy on the team which i see him going down to 3rd after adding latos.

Quote Originally Posted by alett12 View Post
    I shouldn't say chapman will start in cinci but the 1st guy goes down he's the guy they have to call on. they really don't have anyone at louisville and lecure isn't going back to the rotation from my POV but the orginazation seems to think chapman will be a great starter so i guess it means someone has to go and as much as i wish it would be bronson, i've got the feeling it will be homer due to injury history and the fact leake was the 2nd best guy on the team which i see him going down to 3rd after adding latos.
    Calling up Chapman before he is ready which at best might be by the all star break would just be foolish. You have other options if a SP goes down. Put Lecure in the lineup before even considering calling up chapman.

My question is why is Chapman not ready for the rotation now? He has been in the organization for 2 years now. I say if he's not ready for the rotation make him the closer, he has more value there than he does making starts in AAA.

Turn Off Ads?