Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What is the missing critical component to contend.

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Big RH bat

20 45.45%
  • Big LH bat

4 9.09%
  • Top of the order bat

4 9.09%
  • Other: (Please state what that is)

13 29.55%
  • I am really not sure

3 6.82%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Critical remaining component

Critical remaining component

I have argued that in order for the Reds to be complete (on paper anyway) that they need a big RH bat to hit between Votto and Bruce more than anything. I felt they actually needed it more than anything else. Though I was happy to see them go and get a potential ace arm and another good high leverage bully arm. The ace was necessary to be a legit World Series contender but only IMO if it came along with a legit middle of the order bat. Certainly if Bruce improves his game or even Heisey or Stubbs it should lessen the blow on offense. But I see us losing alot of games 3-2 and 2-1 and the like because teams walk Votto in key situations and make someone else beat them which right now unless Rolen rebounds strongly (something I think the Reds are counting on) we have no one to make those teams pay.

I also would love to upgrade at the top of the lineup but IMO it's a moot point if we have no one to drive them in (because Votto is getting walked).

So the question I have for everyone is what is the missing critical piece right now and why? IMO someone needs to pay for walking Votto and going at Jay with a strong LHP. A big RH is necessary.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 01-03-2012 at 12:43 PM. Reason: error in title
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Critical remaining opponent

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I have argued that in order for the Reds to be complete (on paper anyway) that they need a big RH bat to hit between Votto and Bruce more than anything. I felt they actually needed it more than anything else. Though I was happy to see them go and get a potential ace arm and another good high leverage bully arm. The ace was necessary to be a legit World Series contender but only IMO if it came along with a legit middle of the order bat. Certainly if Bruce improves his game or even Heisey or Stubbs it should lessen the blow on offense. But I see us losing alot of games 3-2 and 2-1 and the like because teams walk Votto in key situations and make someone else beat them which right now unless Rolen rebounds strongly (something I think the Reds are counting on) we have no one to make those teams pay.

I also would love to upgrade at the top of the lineup but IMO it's a moot point if we have no one to drive them in (because Votto is getting walked).

So the question I have for everyone is what is the missing critical piece right now and why? IMO someone needs to pay for walking Votto and going at Jay with a strong LHP. A big RH is necessary.
    I agree.

So file this under "trades that will never happen".

Reds trade Chapman (Latin connection), Stubbs, Soto, minor leaguer to Miami Marlins for Stanton.

I know it won't happen, but Chapman makes it enticing for them. And they sure are spending alot of money, so keeping Stanton because he's cheap really doesn't matter to them right now.

You might have to throw in Juan Francisco to get the deal done.

Re: Critical remaining component

I don't think, Vottomatic. Miami would never do it. Stanton is the absolute untouchable-reached the majors-top prospect player.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Re: Critical remaining opponent

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I agree.

So file this under "trades that will never happen".

Reds trade Chapman (Latin connection), Stubbs, Soto, minor leaguer to Miami Marlins for Stanton.

I know it won't happen, but Chapman makes it enticing for them. And they sure are spending alot of money, so keeping Stanton because he's cheap really doesn't matter to them right now.

You might have to throw in Juan Francisco to get the deal done.
    I'm not sure the Fish would move Stanton for that (or anything the Reds can spare). I do like them as trade partners though and they might consider tinkering with the deal on both sides with Logan Morrison as the centerpiece heading the reds way. You would have to hope that his knee was a big factor in some of his plate woes, but Morrison would lok awfully good on LF.

I liked the deal someone else proposed a couple of weeks ago - Chapman and Stubbs or Heisey (+) for Morrison and Dominguez. I'd love to get Dominguyez as Rolen's replacement and Miami still has Hanley Ramirez and Gabby Sanchrz. If the Marlins don't bite on Dominguez you could still go Morrison and a pitcher or two out of their system (maybe a young front of the bullpen arm).

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I picked "other" as I feel that the missing component is the closer. Marshall's been good, but he hasn't really done that role. And regardless, we still need another arm out there even if we go with Marshall as the closer.

I voted other. Just give me a competent bat, and another competent bullpen arm. Doesn't have to be a "big" bat, just a competent bat. Fred Lewis types need not apply.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I voted other also and I want Ryan Madson as that other. I still think the pitching needs to be upgraded and I think Madson is a great way to do that. I'd like another bat obviously for LF but I think pitching is still more important to address.

How can this poll exclude closer?

I voted big RH bat. The best Red's teams that I can remember always had one. Mitchell, Davis, Vaughn, Gant, Sanders, Rolen. I'm sure I'm missing a few more in the last 20 years, but their best teams always seemed to have one.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I hear Dmitri Young is still available.

I voted other. I think adding another arm to the bullpen (Madson is my first choice) is still the top priority followed by a competent bat to platoon with Heisey.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    How can this poll exclude closer?
    It says other. And personally I think in our heart of hearts we know what is gonna happen with that. It's not a foregone conclusion but it's close that Coco comes back. Although if you are arguing we need one despite Cordero's return then fine mark other. I'd have a tough time arguing that it isn't a need. But I am not so sure it's all that critical when you really look at it, not as critical as offense IMO.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 01-03-2012 at 03:14 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Other. Reds don't need a closer, they have 5 potential closers.

The Reds don't need a LF, they have Heisey, Frazier, Francisco, Phipps, some younger talent slated for AA that could surprise, and there are a few FA's that would likely sign a 1 year deal. I'd rather have Fukudome than Crisp. Hermida is available again, and I don't think he got a decent shot last year.

I'm greedy. I want another starter, and I think Shields is still in play. I think because of age, years under team control and salary, that Latos set a lower price tag for Shields. Get him, win the division.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    It says other. And personally I think in our heart of hearts we know what is gonna happen with that. It's not a foregone conclusion but it's close that Coco comes back. Although if you are arguing we need one despite Cordero's return then fine mark other. I'd have a tough time arguing that it isn't a need. But I am not so sure it's all that critical when you really look at it, not as critical as offense IMO.
    Just think the major alternatives should be listed. Kind of odd to keep closer off the list. It's one of the obvious alternatives.

I have no idea whether Cordero will come back. Someone suggested the Reds are low balling him because they really want him to say no.

My guess is Cordero wants two years. Walt has basically said the Reds are offering only one year.

This poll is like asking what's your favorite color, but leaving out blue.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I picked "other" as I feel that the missing component is the closer. Marshall's been good, but he hasn't really done that role. And regardless, we still need another arm out there even if we go with Marshall as the closer.
    I agree, I'd like to see the Reds add one more BP arm, extend the contract of Marshall to 3 years and use him as the Closer. Pay him a million more than what he would make as the setup guy since he is new to the spot and if he excels make sure there are incentives in there to reward him for success.

Gives the reds a bargain price closer and some potential to bring in a big FA bat and an affordable BP guy.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Turn Off Ads?