Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What is the missing critical component to contend.

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Big RH bat

20 45.45%
  • Big LH bat

4 9.09%
  • Top of the order bat

4 9.09%
  • Other: (Please state what that is)

13 29.55%
  • I am really not sure

3 6.82%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Critical remaining component

Re: Critical remaining component

I voted "other." I think the team should add another starting pitcher.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Other. Reds don't need a closer, they have 5 potential closers.

The Reds don't need a LF, they have Heisey, Frazier, Francisco, Phipps, some younger talent slated for AA that could surprise, and there are a few FA's that would likely sign a 1 year deal. I'd rather have Fukudome than Crisp. Hermida is available again, and I don't think he got a decent shot last year.

I'm greedy. I want another starter, and I think Shields is still in play. I think because of age, years under team control and salary, that Latos set a lower price tag for Shields. Get him, win the division.
    My thoughts exactly... although I think Shields might be unattainable.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I voted other. I think adding another arm to the bullpen (Madson is my first choice) is still the top priority followed by a competent bat to platoon with Heisey.
    My thinking as well. Sign a cheap vet like Scott Hairston. But make the pen iron-tight.

Also might think about a vet infielder.

I voted LH bat, but what the Reds need more than anything is another strong bat that can hit against RHP. The team is loaded with guys who kill lefty pitching. I don't really care which way he hits as long as he hits against RHP. Since most RH Bats can hit against lefty pitching, finding one who can also hit against RHP probably means its one of the top players in baseball. The way that the team could acquire a guy who can improve the offense against RHP without it costing a ton in talent and cash would be to get a lefty bat that is more of a platoon guy.

After that, I'd like to see them add a starting pitcher that can step in when some one goes on the DL. Bailey's shoulder history scares the heck out of me.

Third would be a relief pitcher for the late innings. Madson would be great but probably costs too much, but if its not him I don't really want a closer (if you want to read that as please no more Cordero, you'd be right).

4th on my list would be a young MI who can play SS behind Cozart and has potential as a guy to take over for Brandon Phillips. Somebody like, well, Brandon Phillips was when he was acquired in 2006.

5th would be young pitching for AAA who might be in line for a start or two if needed in 2012.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

1) A real lead-off hitter. .360+ OBP.
    2) Another high leverage bullpen arm
    3) SP depth to stash in AAA
    4) An upgrade of Janish for MI
    5) Frazier over Cairo as all corners utility man (not an acquisition obviously but I think Frazier's floor is not much lower than Cairo's and his ceiling is much much higher)

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I voted other. Just give me a competent bat, and another competent bullpen arm. Doesn't have to be a "big" bat, just a competent bat. Fred Lewis types need not apply.
    Yes, I'd rather add another good bullpen arm too.
    In a pinch Fransisco can be a corner OF, and we can try to add a Donnie Nix type off the junk pile to fill in as the 5th OF. Not ideal, but worth it if we could add another premium bullpen arm.
    Last edited by REDREAD; 01-04-2012 at 11:49 AM.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Voted other - Add a Closer and shorten the game to 6 innings (1990 style).

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    1) A real lead-off hitter. .360+ OBP.
    2) Another high leverage bullpen arm
    3) SP depth to stash in AAA
    4) An upgrade of Janish for MI
    5) Frazier over Cairo as all corners utility man (not an acquisition obviously but I think Frazier's floor is not much lower than Cairo's and his ceiling is much much higher)
    I see these lists and always wonder, considering the team the Reds already have for about $80M, how good they would be with a payroll equal to what the BoSox and Yankees have? I mean if they did, they could stick Arroyo in the pen and sign Kuroda or Oswalt for 5th starter, or both, and send Bailey to the pen too. They could have signed Beltran to hit behind Votto. They could easily sign Madsen.

And to think the Yankees don't win it all every year.

Other.

Most critical need is a back of the bullpen arm. I am not confident about Masset or Chapman in that role. Brackman and Judy are long shots. My preference is to have two pitchers capable of closing, but it doesn't appear that Dusty favors that approach.

After that, they need a 4th OF that hits RH. I agree with M-R that Cody Ross is the best choice. He made $6M last year and I doubt that the Reds will go that much. I suspect that Heisey is first choice as a regular. Frazier could be 5th OF/backup 3B.

No MI please. Why would they offer arb to Janish and keep Negron and Valaika on the 40 if they were looking for outside help?

Senor Votto

I would like to see someone who can lead off. Get more people on base for Votto and Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Other.

Most critical need is a back of the bullpen arm. I am not confident about Masset or Chapman in that role. Brackman and Judy are long shots. My preference is to have two pitchers capable of closing, but it doesn't appear that Dusty favors that approach.

After that, they need a 4th OF that hits RH. I agree with M-R that Cody Ross is the best choice. He made $6M last year and I doubt that the Reds will go that much. I suspect that Heisey is first choice as a regular. Frazier could be 5th OF/backup 3B.

No MI please. Why would they offer arb to Janish and keep Negron and Valaika on the 40 if they were looking for outside help?
    I think the Reds have 3-4 pitchers capable of closing with Marshall, Bray, Massett and LeCure.

I think Judy was an absolute theft. He's going to be a nice surprise in the pen, and I think he makes the team out of ST

I really think another arm in the rotation, another absolute hammer would do it. I'd give up a lot to get Shields. In fact, I'd overpay so long as I kept someone for 3B like Francisco. I'd especially do it if the Reds locked up BP for 3-4 years. That's the perfect length too. allows for players drafted in 2010-2011 to mature enough to replace BP/Votto at the end of their contracts while keeping a young core of Bruce, Mes, Stubbs etc. Plus the rotation would be dominant and allow for the development of Chapman, Sulbaran, Corcino etc.

I very much think Shields is the KEY to a WS.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?