Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 56

Thread: BCS bowls discussion

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,259

    BCS bowls discussion

    Better late than never to put this thread up....

    Congrats to Michigan. They played a nice game.

    Been a bad couple nights for the losing teams' kickers.

    Pay attention to the open sky

  2. #2
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,259

    Re: BCS bowls discussion

    Oh, and I really don't understand how they overturned that TD catch for that VT guy in overtime. Something happened somewhere but I didn't see it at all. Looked like a great catch to me.

    Pay attention to the open sky

  3. #3
    Hot Stove Season HotCorner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: BCS bowls discussion

    I disagree about the catch. It was a spectacular effort but he never established possession of the ball while inbounds. His elbows/forearm land on the white which is out of bounds.



    That said, didn't the Michigan kicker false start on his winning kick? It sure looked like it to me.

    http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-footbal...rendan-gibbons

  4. #4
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,608

    Re: BCS bowls discussion

    Seems to me that his elbow initially touched in bounds and then slid out of bounds. I think that's like dragging a foot and it's considered inbounds

  5. #5
    Hot Stove Season HotCorner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: BCS bowls discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Seems to me that his elbow initially touched in bounds and then slid out of bounds. I think that's like dragging a foot and it's considered inbounds
    He doesn't have possession of the ball when he drags the foot.

  6. #6
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,608

    Re: BCS bowls discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    He doesn't have possession of the ball when he drags the foot.
    The foot has nothing to do with it. The arm/elbow touch first

  7. #7
    Hot Stove Season HotCorner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: BCS bowls discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The foot has nothing to do with it. The arm/elbow touch first
    Sorry. I miss read your initial comment.

    Yes an elbow or forearm is equal to getting a foot down in bounds.

  8. #8
    Member jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Troy, OH
    Posts
    2,639

    Re: BCS bowls discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    He doesn't have possession of the ball when he drags the foot.
    I disagree. It looks to me that he has the ball held up against him. Either way, it certainly doesn't look like enough evidence to overturn the call, regardless of how it was called on the field.

    I think the review process needs to be seriously revamped. "Indisputable video evidence" seems to have several definitions, depending on the replay official.

  9. #9
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,259

    Re: BCS bowls discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I think the review process needs to be seriously revamped. "Indisputable video evidence" seems to have several definitions, depending on the replay official.
    Yeah, somehow the message isn't getting through. According to the NCAA, its says:

    The instant replay process operates under the fundamental assumption that the ruling on the field is correct. The replay official may reverse a ruling if and only if the video evidence convinces him beyond all doubt that the ruling was incorrect. Without such indisputable video evidence, the replay official must allow the ruling to stand.
    That looks awfully clear to me. Unless its plain as day, don't reverse the call. But I've seen a lot of "yeah, well, maybe, could be" overturns. I don't get it.

    Interesting "2011 NCAA Football Instant Replay Casebook" read here...

    http://www.ncaapublications.com/prod...oads/FBC11.pdf

    Pay attention to the open sky

  10. #10
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,608

    Re: BCS bowls discussion

    Horrible, horrible in game coaching by Va Tech. That fake punt was pathetic and why pound the ball running twice between the tackles in OT when Mich had shown that they couldn't cover the receivers

  11. #11
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,608

    Re: BCS bowls discussion

    I don't see the ball moving at all. What makes you think he didn't have possession?

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,672

    Re: BCS bowls discussion

    I didn't think it was a catch live, but on the replay I think he got his left arm under it and it never moved when he hit the ground. I was pretty surprised they over turned it. I think it was one of those that should have just gone with the call on the field either way.

  13. #13
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,259

    Re: BCS bowls discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I didn't think it was a catch live, but on the replay I think he got his left arm under it and it never moved when he hit the ground. I was pretty surprised they over turned it. I think it was one of those that should have just gone with the call on the field either way.
    That was exactly my take on it too. When it happened live, I thought "no way that is a catch". Frankly, I thought there was no question. But on the replay, I thought "Holy cow, he did catch that". Or at least within a millimeter or two of making it.

    I certainly didn't see "incontrovertible" evidence on the replay that he didn't make the catch. And since the ruling was a TD, I would have said keep it. Just like if it was ruled no catch, I'd say keep that too.

    Either way, it was a heckuva effort by the VT receiver. He had a great game. And when they showed his face going from "unbelievable TD catch" to "no catch, no TD" to "crap, he missed the FG", I felt bad for him as a competitor.

    Pay attention to the open sky

  14. #14
    CELEBRATION TIME RBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    13,987

    Re: BCS bowls discussion

    I see one end of the football touching the ground during the catch. I thought that was a no-no.

  15. #15
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,608

    Re: BCS bowls discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    I see one end of the football touching the ground during the catch. I thought that was a no-no.
    Touching the ground in and of itself is not a no, no. The rule here is that the ground cannot assist the player in catching it.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25