Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: BCS bowls discussion

BCS bowls discussion

Better late than never to put this thread up....

Congrats to Michigan. They played a nice game.

Been a bad couple nights for the losing teams' kickers.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: BCS bowls discussion

Oh, and I really don't understand how they overturned that TD catch for that VT guy in overtime. Something happened somewhere but I didn't see it at all. Looked like a great catch to me.

I disagree about the catch. It was a spectacular effort but he never established possession of the ball while inbounds. His elbows/forearm land on the white which is out of bounds.

That said, didn't the Michigan kicker false start on his winning kick? It sure looked like it to me.

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-footbal...rendan-gibbons

Seems to me that his elbow initially touched in bounds and then slid out of bounds. I think that's like dragging a foot and it's considered inbounds

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Seems to me that his elbow initially touched in bounds and then slid out of bounds. I think that's like dragging a foot and it's considered inbounds
    He doesn't have possession of the ball when he drags the foot.

Horrible, horrible in game coaching by Va Tech. That fake punt was pathetic and why pound the ball running twice between the tackles in OT when Mich had shown that they couldn't cover the receivers

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    He doesn't have possession of the ball when he drags the foot.
    The foot has nothing to do with it. The arm/elbow touch first

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The foot has nothing to do with it. The arm/elbow touch first
    Sorry. I miss read your initial comment.

Yes an elbow or forearm is equal to getting a foot down in bounds.

I don't see the ball moving at all. What makes you think he didn't have possession?

I didn't think it was a catch live, but on the replay I think he got his left arm under it and it never moved when he hit the ground. I was pretty surprised they over turned it. I think it was one of those that should have just gone with the call on the field either way.

I see one end of the football touching the ground during the catch. I thought that was a no-no.

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

VT's reputation as a special teams juggernaut is just that at this point: reputation. (Full disclosure, I'm a Tech fan)

Consider:
    Michigan's TD drive was aided by the roughing the punter penalty. Simply letting them get the kick off most likely results in decent field position.

A fumbled kickoff following the TD, which led to a field goal.

The fake punt, which Coale (the punter/receiver) alluded to being a particular play the team had never worked on before.
    ---
    That's 13 of Michigan's points coming as a direct result of VT special teams gaffes.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    I see one end of the football touching the ground during the catch. I thought that was a no-no.
    Touching the ground in and of itself is not a no, no. The rule here is that the ground cannot assist the player in catching it.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaRedleg View Post

The fake punt, which Coale (the punter/receiver) alluded to being a particular play the team had never worked on before.
    That one really baffled me. It looked like he had the option to punt it and he should have seen that the play wasn't there right away. There was no hole for him to run through. Why didn't he punt it then? Brain lock on his part trying to be the hero

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I didn't think it was a catch live, but on the replay I think he got his left arm under it and it never moved when he hit the ground. I was pretty surprised they over turned it. I think it was one of those that should have just gone with the call on the field either way.
    That was exactly my take on it too. When it happened live, I thought "no way that is a catch". Frankly, I thought there was no question. But on the replay, I thought "Holy cow, he did catch that". Or at least within a millimeter or two of making it.

I certainly didn't see "incontrovertible" evidence on the replay that he didn't make the catch. And since the ruling was a TD, I would have said keep it. Just like if it was ruled no catch, I'd say keep that too.

Either way, it was a heckuva effort by the VT receiver. He had a great game. And when they showed his face going from "unbelievable TD catch" to "no catch, no TD" to "crap, he missed the FG", I felt bad for him as a competitor.

Turn Off Ads?