Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 2012 MLB Draft order

Re: 2012 MLB Draft order

Quote Originally Posted by Boro_BG_Red View Post
    What do you guys think about Marcus Stroman? I know he is smaller and expected to be in the bullpen, but he can make an instant impact. I know I prefer an impact bat to put in the minors for a few years to develop, but is he worth a look? Our bullpen is already great, but just throwin' it out there.
    Personally, I am not a fan of taking bullpen arms in the top half of the first round. Stroman supposedly has electric stuff, but if I'm going to draft a pitcher that early, I want him to have TOR potential, not a guy who is quite likely to end up in the pen.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Personally, I am not a fan of taking bullpen arms in the top half of the first round. Stroman supposedly has electric stuff, but if I'm going to draft a pitcher that early, I want him to have TOR potential, not a guy who is quite likely to end up in the pen.
    This makes sense. I know he throws hard and has a good slider, perfect for a reliever. But if we were to go for the "sure thing", he might be someone to keep an eye on. The again, we are more likely to go with the sure thing at the starter spot, like Wacha or Heaney, rather than bullpen.

For more discussion on Marrero, here is a good link:
    http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...the-2012-draft

His peak OPS in college was .786. Any team that takes him in the top half of the first round is making a big mistake IMO. I really hope that team is not the Reds.
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

His peak OPS in college was .786. Any team that takes him in the top half of the first round is making a big mistake IMO. I really hope that team is not the Reds.
    No, it wasn't. As a freshman, before the bat change, he had a 1.070 OPS. In 2011 he had a .799 OPS.

Couldn't agree more. While I understand the logic in focusing on drafting up the middle because you can theoretically move those kind of players to less challenging positions if necessary, I don't think a player like Marerro is any more versatile than a 1B/DH type because his bat won't play anywhere else but SS. Unless somebody has scouts saying that there is some untapped potential with the bat, I just don't see a top half of the first round player.

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    Couldn't agree more. While I understand the logic in focusing on drafting up the middle because you can theoretically move those kind of players to less challenging positions if necessary, I don't think a player like Marerro is any more versatile than a 1B/DH type because his bat won't play anywhere else but SS. Unless somebody has scouts saying that there is some untapped potential with the bat, I just don't see a top half of the first round player.
    Most of these guys have some untapped potential in their game, they are 17-21 years old.

MLB.com's Jonathan Mayo ranks Marrero at #14 overall.
    Baseball America ranks Marrero at #14 overall.

Both of those places talk directly with scouts.

The rub on Marrero is that his swing mechanics are a bit out of whack right now and some scouts believe that he is just a tweak away from being the guy who was projected as a Top 5 pick during his freshman season.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The rub on Marrero is that his swing mechanics are a bit out of whack right now and some scouts believe that he is just a tweak away from being the guy who was projected as a Top 5 pick during his freshman season.
    Doug you're much more well versed on the subject matter than me, so I'll buy that argument. Assuming that there is something mechanical rather than a skill-related issue, how much upside is there with his bat? From my limited reading on the subject matter it seems like his ceiling is probably somewhere around league average, are you reading otherwise?

I don't like Marrerro just because his bat has somewhat limited upside. I'd much, much prefer Richie Shaffer.

Jim Callis 3.0 Mock

Left out the pay content. Bold is players and teams I care about...Around 4.0 is where sign ability rumors kicked in....

1. ASTROS. Projected Pick: MARK APPEL.

2. TWINS. Projected Pick: BYRON BUXTON.

3. MARINERS. Projected Pick: MIKE ZUNINO.

4. ORIOLES. Projected Pick: KEVIN GAUSMAN.

5. ROYALS. Projected Pick: KYLE ZIMMER.

6. CUBS. Projected Pick: ALBERT ALMORA.

7. PADRES. Projected Pick: CARLOS CORREA.

8. PIRATES. Projected Pick: MAX FRIED.

9. MARLINS. Projected Pick: ANDREW HEANEY.

10. ROCKIES. Projected Pick: COURTNEY HAWKINS.

11. ATHLETICS. Projected Pick: LANCE McCULLERS JR.

12. METS. Projected Pick: DAVID DAHL.

13. WHITE SOX. Projected Pick: MICHAEL WACHA.

14. REDS. Projected Pick: CHRIS STRATTON.

15. INDIANS. Projected Pick: RICHIE SHAFFER.

16. NATIONALS. Projected Pick: DEVEN MARRERO.

17. BLUE JAYS. Projected Pick: D.J. DAVIS.

18. DODGERS. Projected Pick: TY HENSLEY.

19. CARDINALS Projected Pick: ADDISON RUSSELL.

20. GIANTS. Projected Pick: NICK TRAVIESO.

21. BRAVES. Projected Pick: TANNER RAHIER.

22. BLUE JAYS (for failure to sign 2011 first-round Tyler Beede). Projected Pick: GAVIN CECCHINI.

23. CARDINALS. Projected Pick: STEPHEN PISCOTTY.

24. RED SOX. Projected Pick: MARCUS STROMAN.

25. RAYS. Projected Pick: JOEY GALLO.

26. DIAMONDBACKS. Projected Pick: STRYKER TRAHAN.

27. BREWERS (from Tigers for Prince Fielder). Projected Pick: CLINT COULTER.

28. BREWERS. Projected Pick: TYLER NAQUIN.

29. RANGERS. Projected Pick: MATT SMORAL.

30. YANKEES. Projected Pick: ZACH EFLIN.

31. RED SOX (from Phillies for Jonathan Papelbon). Projected Pick: WALKER WEICKEL.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Did I hear Marty say in tonight's game that the draft starts Monday night?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I'd love to see the Cardinals take Piscotty two years after taking Zack Cox. I'd love the message it sent to their World Series MVP, too.

Keith Law has a new mock up.

He has the Reds with the same as Callis above, with the little teaser about them being in on certain right handed high school arm(LG)
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I'll say this for the Reds if they go for an arm - they are sure keeping to Walt's pitching and defense philosophy. I can't wait for Monday!

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    Doug you're much more well versed on the subject matter than me, so I'll buy that argument. Assuming that there is something mechanical rather than a skill-related issue, how much upside is there with his bat? From my limited reading on the subject matter it seems like his ceiling is probably somewhere around league average, are you reading otherwise?
    I think his upside is more than that. Mainly because if he hits even a little bit, with his defense, he is going to be league average. If he actually hits just average for a shortstop, he will be an above average player.

Again, his upside is more than some are giving him credit for. During his freshman season, scouts were projecting him as a future Top 5 overall pick.

Marrero would be a pick similar to Grandal. A polished college guy that gives the Reds a surplus at a critical position. In other words, a pretty much guaranteed trading chip, at least. I'd be fine with that -- and I kind of like the idea that they'd end up with a guy they drafted 3 years ago who went on the eclipse almost every other high schooler who went on to college that year.

I'm really not sweating who the top pick is this year. I trust Buckley and his staff -- the track record is very good -- and the 2 supplemental picks will make this crop a decent one for the club, most likely.

Turn Off Ads?