Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 MLB Draft order

Re: 2012 MLB Draft order

It's been a month, so here is my April update with seasons to date factored in (as well as the big Reds extensions). Only 6 more weeks to go!

Round 1 Ideal Targets

1. Byron Buxton OF
    2. Lucas Gioloto RHP
    3. Carlos Correa SS/3B
    4. Max Freid LHP
    5. Matt Smoral LHP

Sandwich Ideal Targets (if these guys somehow fall out of the 1st round- some of them surely will)

1. Richie Shaffer 3B
    2. David Dahl OF
    3. Addison Russell 3B
    4. Gavin Cecchini SS
    5. Stryker Trahan C
    6. Courtney Hawkins OF
    7. Patrick Wisdom 3B

2nd-4th Round Guys I like just because

Victor Roache 1B/LF (would only draft him in the 2nd if scouts believe he can play LF)
    Rio Ruiz 3B
    Taylore Cherry RHP
    Lex Rutledge RHP
    Skye Bolt OF
    Last edited by Benihana; 04-11-2012 at 11:46 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

You have to want a player named Skye Bolt!
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Saw some video on Smoral, I don't like his delivery. Seems like a lot of moving parts.

Matt Smoral, LHP, Solon (Ohio) HS - YouTube

The last 30 seconds have a nice slow mo break down of his delivery.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Would like to the Reds be aggressive and see these kids in Pensacola at some point:

14. Reds - Addison Russell or Hunter Virant

Pace is only 32 miles from the Wahoo's stadium. I been to several of Russell's games and never saw less then 20 scouts in attendance.

47. Reds - Jameis "Jaboo" Winston- Sure FSU bound QB but worth the risk.

57. Reds- Kayden Porter- and I would move him to the OF

This is going to be a weird draft with the new guidelines. Players are not going to fall unless they are hurt.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    Would like to the Reds be aggressive and see these kids in Pensacola at some point:

14. Reds - Addison Russell or Hunter Virant

Pace is only 32 miles from the Wahoo's stadium. I been to several of Russell's games and never saw less then 20 scouts in attendance.

47. Reds - Jameis "Jaboo" Winston- Sure FSU bound QB but worth the risk.

57. Reds- Kayden Porter- and I would move him to the OF

This is going to be a weird draft with the new guidelines. Players are not going to fall unless they are hurt.
    I like Russell but probably not at 14. If we go hitter there I want Buxton (long gone) Correa (unlikely but possible) or Dahl (very possible).

If we go pitcher, I want one of the Harvard Westlake guys (Gioloto or Fried) or Smoral.

Would LOVE to see Russell in the sandwich round.
    Go BLUE!!!

Even though I firmly believe in drafting the best player available, it sure would be nice this year if it happened to be a 3B.

When do the mock drafts start coming out? I'd think within the next couple weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Even though I firmly believe in drafting the best player available, it sure would be nice this year if it happened to be a 3B.

When do the mock drafts start coming out? I'd think within the next couple weeks?
    www.mymlbdraft.com has an early one.

Carlos Correa, Joey Gallo, Addison Russell all seem to be big swinging 3B prospects that could go early.

Stephen Piscotty seems to be the best college (corner) stick, but I'm less interested in him. Victor Roache would be nice in the sandwich or second round if he really can play LF (better than Alonso or Dunn could).
    Go BLUE!!!

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

What do you all think about Trey Williams as either a 1st round or sandwich pick?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    What do you all think about Trey Williams as either a 1st round or sandwich pick?
    Used to be very interested in him. Then I spoke to someone in the know, and now I'm not.
    Go BLUE!!!

I think I'd prefer an arm (late round gets like Sulburan, Cisco, Garrett and Romano are much less likely under the new rules) or a LH bat. Marrero seems to be falling and who knows if Giolito will fall as far as the Reds, so those are a couple possibilities that would not have seemed realistic a few months ago...

I like the idea of building a wave of young, high-ceiling arms, so I'd like to see at least 1 of their 3 top picks be on a HS pitcher. Usually a few of those guys will start climbing the board in the spring (like Stephenson did last year), so I figure the Reds will have a shot at at least one of them in the top 50.

Generally speaking, there's more talent in the HS crop these days. Over the last several years, most top high schoolers have signed. So, I'm inclined to prefer the Reds go young at the top of the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I think I'd prefer an arm (late round gets like Sulburan, Cisco, Garrett and Romano are much less likely under the new rules) or a LH bat. Marrero seems to be falling and who knows if Giolito will fall as far as the Reds, so those are a couple possibilities that would not have seemed realistic a few months ago...

I like the idea of building a wave of young, high-ceiling arms, so I'd like to see at least 1 of their 3 top picks be on a HS pitcher. Usually a few of those guys will start climbing the board in the spring (like Stephenson did last year), so I figure the Reds will have a shot at at least one of them in the top 50.

Generally speaking, there's more talent in the HS crop these days. Over the last several years, most top high schoolers have signed. So, I'm inclined to prefer the Reds go young at the top of the draft.
    Agree on going young.

While I really wanted us to sign him three years ago when we drafted him in the 17th round, I don't want Marrero in the first round this year. He doesn't project to be above average offensively, and we have Cozart with DiDi and Hamilton in the pipeline. No need to draft an almost-ready college SS that doesn't have the stick to play anywhere else.

I'd rather go for a high upside HS arm or a high upside HS bat.
    Go BLUE!!!

While I really wanted us to sign him three years ago when we drafted him in the 17th round, I don't want Marrero in the first round this year. He doesn't project to be above average offensively, and we have Cozart with DiDi and Hamilton in the pipeline. No need to draft an almost-ready college SS that doesn't have the stick to play anywhere else.
    Baseball America's #1 prospect from the Cape Cod League last summer, and #2 overall coming into the year. Considered to be a phenomenal defender and a grinder overall. I have no doubt there are teams who love this guy and who will excuse the down season offensively as a function of draft jitters (I do think he's been hitting better lately). So, provided he doesn't tank in the pros, he's going to be at least a nice trade chip. Similar strategy they had with Grandal, I imagine. I'd be fine with the pick.

Reds have been at several SEC games scouting Brian Johnson, LHP, Florida and I wouldnt be all suprised if the Reds take Kyle Zimmer, RHP, San Francisco. he could be the first player from this draft MLb ready.

Russell isn't going to get pass the Brewers in the 1st Round. He's everything that they liked in Kentrail Davis and Hunter Morris.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Reds have been at several SEC games scouting Brian Johnson, LHP, Florida and I wouldnt be all suprised if the Reds take Kyle Zimmer, RHP, San Francisco. he could be the first player from this draft MLb ready.
    Zimmer won't drop to the Reds, it seems. Some think he'll go first overall.

I'm a big fan of two-way players, so Brian Johnson would be fine with me.

Here's a mock draft from John Sickles: http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...-april-edition

I'd be content with Courtney Hawkins in the 1st. I'd LOVE it if we could get him in the Supp (and get Correa or a pitcher in the 1st)

Huge upside HS OF bat? Yes please.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?