Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 MLB Draft order

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: 2012 MLB Draft order

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I'm a little bit concerned Richie Shaffer is only in his first year as a third baseman. Was a great defensive first baseman as a frosh/soph at Clemson, but this is his first season playing 3B. Definitely appears to have a plus bat though. If he has proven to be a good defensive third baseman, I'm all for it. I like his size too at 6-3, 205.
    They say he needs work on his fundamentals and footwork, but the arm is there. I know this is kind of the same scouting report as Juan Francisco, but if Juan had the same "advanced" approach at the plate that Shaffer has, I think many on RedsZone would have viewed Juan differently. The defense didn't gnaw at me as much with Juan as his inability to take a walk.

2. Turn Off Ads?

On Shaffer -- the success rate of RH-hitting corner guys coming out of college is very poor. If you're thinking of Longoria, remember that he was a SS coming out, and that added athleticism is what makes him the top-flight defender he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I just looked through Callis' mock and I was about to post pretty much the exact same thing. Wacha does nothing for the Reds that they don't already have. Sure, starting pitching depth is great, but I don't want a guy who has two plus pitches, but neither of them is a breaking ball.

If Richie Shaffer is there, I really want the Reds to take him. The only thing I question about him is his ability to stick at 3B. Courtney Hawkins would also be preferrable to Michael Wacha (I do realize Hawkins was off the board by the time the Reds picked in this mock).
    Totally agree. The top 5 guys I like (excluding the four who are very likely to be gone*) are Gioloto, Fried, Correa, Hawkins and Shaffer.

*Assuming Buxton and the three college pitchers (Zimmer, Appel and Gausman) will all be gone.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Totally agree. The top 5 guys I like (excluding the four who are very likely to be gone*) are Gioloto, Fried, Correa, Hawkins and Shaffer.

*Assuming Buxton and the three college pitchers (Zimmer, Appel and Gausman) will all be gone.
    You gotta have Zunino on your list if you are the Reds, too. I imagine he will be long gone, but he has very high upside and he isn't just a safe, "low-bust" pick that I want to avoid.

BTW, has Gioloto's stock fallen so far with this elbow injury that he may not even be chosen in the first round? I didn't see him taken in Callis' mock. I know arm injuries are something to be concerned about, but he could really turn into the steal of this draft if he falls out of the first round...

In addition to Zunino, I also think Dahl deserves to be in the discussion at 14. Granted, both will likely be gone, but I will hope either falls.

BTW, I am not a big fan of Correa. I just don't know if I want a SS who may not have the glove to stick there and doesn't project to have a big bat. Kind of sounds like a raw Gordon Beckham to me.

In addition to Zunino, I also think Dahl deserves to be in the discussion at 14. Granted, both will likely be gone, but I will hope either falls.

BTW, I am not a big fan of Correa. I just don't know if I want a SS who may not have the glove to stick there and doesn't project to have a big bat. Kind of sounds like a raw Gordon Beckham to me.
    I think he does have a big bat. His big league comp is Troy Tulowotzki, who's bat would obviously play at 3B.
    Go BLUE!!!

In 2010, the Reds took a kid named Brian Adams in the 36th round, but he didn't sign, choosing to play football and baseball at UK. He has has some injury problems that have slowed his development in both sports, but is now fully healthy. He hit a monstrous home run off the top of the scoreboard in LCF tonight, helping UK sweep a double-header from Alabama. The wins helped the #9 Wildcats leapfrog both South Carolina and LSU back into 1st place in the SEC.

Not saying that one home run makes him a superstar by any means, but he has been showing signs of putting it all together lately. This kid is an amazing athlete (#16 below) 6-4/220 with leadoff speed - a true five-tool kid who was very highly regarded out of High School. He's still green as grass and I don't think he's going to draw huge interest in the draft, but the Reds were on him once, I wouldn't mind at all if they spent a late round pick on him again this year. Could be a diamond in the rough.

Last edited by corkedbat; 05-13-2012 at 01:02 AM.

Joey Gallo is my pick.

Best two-way player likely to make it down to Cincinnati.

In a weak draft with no clear-cut choice, hedge your bets one way or another.

A big-armed, big-power 3B sounds like a fun kid to watch.

I also like Victor Roache, Lucas Sims, and Nolan Sanburn as supplimental picks, if there.

BTW, has Gioloto's stock fallen so far with this elbow injury that he may not even be chosen in the first round? I didn't see him taken in Callis' mock. I know arm injuries are something to be concerned about, but he could really turn into the steal of this draft if he falls out of the first round...
    My understanding is the story with Gioloto is a combination of injury/signability. His injury will probably knock him out of the top 5 and if he is not picked in the top 5 he will most likely opt to go to college.

On the John Sickels site he is listed as the highest ceiling player in the draft, so if he fall to #14 I think the Reds should take a shot. If he says he's not going to sign have Matt Harrington give me a call. If that does not work, use the pick next year in what is probably a deeper draft.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    In 2010, the Reds took a kid named Brian Adams in the 36th round, but he didn't sign, choosing to play football and baseball at UK. He has has some injury problems that have slowed his development in both sports, but is now fully healthy. He hit a monstrous home run off the top of the scoreboard in LCF tonight, helping UK sweep a double-header from Alabama. The wins helped the #9 Wildcats leapfrog both South Carolina and LSU back into 1st place in the SEC.

Not saying that one home run makes him a superstar by any means, but he has been showing signs of putting it all together lately. This kid is an amazing athlete (#16 below) 6-4/220 with leadoff speed - a true five-tool kid who was very highly regarded out of High School. He's still green as grass and I don't think he's going to draw huge interest in the draft, but the Reds were on him once, I wouldn't mind at all if they spent a late round pick on him again this year. Could be a diamond in the rough.

Plus we could use a Brian Adams to combat the Brewers Corey Hart.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    My understanding is the story with Gioloto is a combination of injury/signability. His injury will probably knock him out of the top 5 and if he is not picked in the top 5 he will most likely opt to go to college.

On the John Sickels site he is listed as the highest ceiling player in the draft, so if he fall to #14 I think the Reds should take a shot. If he says he's not going to sign have Matt Harrington give me a call. If that does not work, use the pick next year in what is probably a deeper draft.
    http://www.mymlbdraft.com/MLB-Mock-Draft-2012

has a newly updated mock draft. If, as in this mock, the Reds pass on Gioloto and Hawkins to draft Heaney, I will be quite disappointed.

The problem with Joey Gallo is he's indicated he wants to hit, and from what I've heard, it is unlikely he'll be able to play anywhere other than 1B at the big league level. I'm not sure that is a good fit for us (although if he can play 3B, I really like the bat).
    Go BLUE!!!

http://www.mymlbdraft.com/MLB-Mock-Draft-2012

has a newly updated mock draft. If, as in this mock, the Reds pass on Gioloto and Hawkins to draft Heaney, I will be quite disappointed.

The problem with Joey Gallo is he's indicated he wants to hit, and from what I've heard, it is unlikely he'll be able to play anywhere other than 1B at the big league level. I'm not sure that is a good fit for us (although if he can play 3B, I really like the bat).
    I think whoever does that site, just throws stuff up against the wall. It says right on there that tendencies and need are not part of the equation. Aside from Mike Leake the Reds have drafted more on potential than safety in the last decade.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I think whoever does that site, just throws stuff up against the wall. It says right on there that tendencies and need are not part of the equation. Aside from Mike Leake the Reds have drafted more on potential than safety in the last decade.
    I don't disagree (about the site) and I certainly hope you're right that the Reds will go for potential over safety. I think ESPN is coming out with a mock draft today, which will be interesting to see.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Agreed. I think the mlb.com mock drafts are usually the least accurate, especially this far out.

I like KRM's tentative plan.

Turn Off Ads?