Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 MLB Draft order

Re: 2012 MLB Draft order

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Indians Sign Dan Wheeler

As Alex Speier of WEEI.com points out on Twitter, the Red Sox won't get a compensatory draft pick for losing Wheeler, since he didn't sign a Major League deal.

2. Turn Off Ads?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...2/2612878.html

The updated draft order is below, with the first 53 selections finalized.

First Round
    1. Astros
    2. Twins
    3. Mariners
    4. Orioles
    5. Royals
    6. Cubs
    7. Padres
    8. Pirates
    9. Marlins
    10. Rockies
    11. Athletics
    12. Mets
    13. White Sox
    14. Reds
    15. Indians
    16. Nationals
    17. Blue Jays
    18. Dodgers
    19. Cardinals (from Angels for Albert Pujols, Type A)
    20. Giants
    21. Braves
    22. Blue Jays (for failure to sign 2011 first-rounder Tyler Beede)
    23. Cardinals
    24. Red Sox
    25. Rays
    26. Diamondbacks
    27. Brewers (from Tigers for Prince Fielder, Type A)
    28. Brewers
    29. Rangers
    30. Yankees
    31. Red Sox (from Phillies for Jonathan Papelbon, Type A)
    Supplemental First Round
    32. Twins (for Michael Cuddyer, modified Type A, to Rockies)
    33. Padres (for Heath Bell, modified Type A, to Marlins)
    34. Athletics (for Josh Willingham, modified Type A, to Twins)
    35. Mets (for Jose Reyes, Type A, to Marlins)
    36. Cardinals (for Pujols)
    37. Red Sox (for Papelbon)
    38. Brewers (for Fielder)
    39. Rangers (for C.J. Wilson, Type A, to Angels)
    40. Phillies (for Ryan Madson, modified Type A, to Reds)
    41. Astros (for Clint Barmes, Type B, to Pirates)
    42. Twins (for Jason Kubel, Type B, to Diamondbacks)
    43. Cubs (for Aramis Ramirez, Type B, to Brewers)
    44. Padres (for Aaron Harang, Type B, to Dodgers)
    45. Pirates (for Ryan Doumit, Type B, to Twins)
    46. Rockies (for Mark Ellis, Type B, to Dodgers)
    47. Athletics (for David DeJesus, Type B, to Cubs)
    48. White Sox (for Mark Buehrle, Type B, to Marlins)
    49. Reds (for Ramon Hernandez, Type B, to Rockies)
    50. Blue Jays (for Frank Francisco, Type B, to Mets)
    51. Dodgers (for Rod Barajas, Type B, to Pirates)
    52. Cardinals (for Octavio Dotel, Type B, to Tigers)
    53. Rangers (for Darren Oliver, Type B, to Blue Jays)
    54. Cubs (for Carlos Pena, Type B, to Rays)
    55. Padres (for failure to sign 2011 sandwich-rounder Brett Austin)
    56. Reds (for Francisco Cordero, Type B, to Blue Jays)
    57. Blue Jays (for Jon Rauch, Type B, to Mets)
    58. Blue Jays (for Jose Molina, Type B, to Rays)
    Second-Round Changes
    60. Athletics (for Willingham)
    68. Padres (for Bell)
    69. Mets (from Marlins for Reyes)
    70. Twins (for Cuddyer)
    75. Phillies (for Madson)
    81. Rangers (from Angels for Wilson)
    89. Yankees (for failure to sign 2011 second-rounder Sam Stafford)
    Supplemental Third Round
    124. Mariners (for failure to sign 2011 third-rounder Kevin Cron)
    125. Marlins (for failure to sign 2011 third-rounder Connor Barron)
    126. Rockies (for failure to sign 2011 third-rounder Peter O'Brien)
    Remaining Compensation Free Agents
    Cardinals: Edwin Jackson (B).
    Phillies: Raul Ibanez (B).
    Pirates: Derrek Lee (B).

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Very, VERY early, but here are some names (all HS guys) that I like in this year's draft:

1. Byron Buxton OF
    2. Lucas Gioloto RHP
    3. Trey Williams 3B
    4. Carlos Correa 3B
    5. David Dahl OF
    6. Nick Williams OF
    7. Matt Smoral LHP

While Buxton is overwhelmingly my favorite right now from this list, Smoral is a big lefty from northern Ohio that would fit in with some other big lefty recent acquisitions like Chapman and Garrett.

Victor Roache is a slugging 1B/LF type from the college ranks that could arrive as soon as 2014 and provide a much-needed boost to the offense at that time.
    I'll update this about once a month leading up to the draft. List still looks quite similar with a couple small changes- namely, I'd remove the Williamses for consideration for the first round pick.

1. Buxton
    2. Gioloto
    3. Correa
    4. Dahl
    5. Smoral
    6. Roache

and add four more names for consideration to round out my late February "Top 10" Wish List for the Reds first round selection.

7. Max Fried HS LHP
    8. Gavin Cecchini HS SS
    9. Joey Gallo HS 1B/3B
    10. Kevin Gausman LSU RHP
    Go BLUE!!!

Max Fried is my pick on name alone. Although he probably pronounces it "Freed" instead of "Fried".

Roache and Gallo are my guys. I know most want to stockpile high ceiling arms, but I like guys that can play every day. Just my personal opinion, but Victor Roache is my #1 guy. I don't think he makes it past the Rockies though. I have seen a lot of mocks that have us taking Walker Weikel. Anyone know anything about this guy. From what I have read he is a pretty polished college arm that projects as a #2 arm. Sounds like an older Robert Stephenson to me. Any body have any opinons or info they would like to share?
    Let's get weird!

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...2/2613036.html

Two weeks into the college season, we already have the first major injury that will affect the 2012 draft. Georgia Southern outfielder Victor Roache, a projected first-rounder who led NCAA Division I with 30 homers last spring, injured his wrist diving for a ball on Saturday. In response to a Twitter question from Baseball America's Conor Glassey, Roache Tweeted that he may miss the rest of the season.

Should the Reds still consider drafting Victor Roache at pick 14? It might be worthwhile to still draft him. The Reds could let him rehab and be ready to play in 2013.
    Last edited by Gallen5862; 02-29-2012 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...2/2613036.html

Two weeks into the college season, we already have the first major injury that will affect the 2012 draft. Georgia Southern outfielder Victor Roache, a projected first-rounder who led NCAA Division I with 30 homers last spring, injured his wrist diving for a ball on Saturday. In response to a Twitter question from Baseball America's Conor Glassey, Roache Tweeted that he may miss the rest of the season.
    This is horrible to say, but I am just going to say it. This might be a blessing in diguise for the Reds. Now instead of going early in the first round, he may slip to us at fourteen or even later into the supplemental portion of the first round. I hope he heals quickly and is 100 percent ready to go soon, dude has serious thunder in his bat.
    Let's get weird!

If he misses the entire season, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him slip entirely out of the first round. Might be a good upside pick in the sandwich round...
    Go BLUE!!!

If he misses the entire season, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him slip entirely out of the first round. Might be a good upside pick in the sandwich round...
    Buxton is choice 1A for me and Roache 1B for me. I don't really expect him to be there at 14, but I'll be thrilled if we land him. If Roache was to be there at 49, I'd be fine with taking him and waiting out a rehab. Our number ones usuall don't sign until August or start playing until the Fall Instructional League.

We need at least two high-ceiling corner bats out of this draft, why not get them early? Both guys would be solid values at those spots. Go pitching the next several picks.

That sandwich round is huge. It's nice that we'll get two picks there but it pretty much dilutes all subsequent rds. It renders rd 2 to basically a 3rd rounder...

Another one bites the dust...?

Highly-regarded high school righty Lucas Giolito sprained the ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow yesterday and will be out six to ten weeks, reports Eric Sondheimer of the L.A. Times. The hard-throwing senior doesn't need surgery, coach Matt LaCour told Sondheimer, but he and his teammates are crushed. Giolito was regarded as the best high school player in the 2012 draft, but now he may be more likely to honor a commitment to UCLA. As Baseball America notes, the new collective bargaining agreement's draft restrictions make it much harder for Giolito to fall in draft position and still receive a ton of money.
    Like Roache, could be worth taking a flyer on in the sandwich round...if they think he'll sign for sandwich round money.
    Last edited by Benihana; 03-07-2012 at 03:45 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...-affect-draft/

How Lucas Giolito’s Injury Could Affect Draft

Posted Mar. 8, 2012 12:57 pm by Conor Glassey
    Filed under: Draft Dope, High School, Stock Report

1. Giolito's price won't drop significantly. He was probably looking at a $5-6 million payday had he not gotten injured and while his number may have to come down a little, he still has plenty of leverage. For one, Giolito got rave reviews this summer, fall and early this spring. When healthy, he has a mid-90s fastball that touched 100 mph, a nasty curveball and a very good changeup. He also comes from a financially-stable family, has a great fallback plan at UCLA and is young for the class. Still, let's assume he wouldn't walk away from what Dylan Bundy got last year—$4 million. (It's important to note here Bundy got that bonus as part of a $6.25 million major league deal, which are now precluded by the CBA for draft picks.)
    Last edited by Gallen5862; 03-09-2012 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...-affect-draft/

How Lucas Giolito’s Injury Could Affect Draft

Posted Mar. 8, 2012 12:57 pm by Conor Glassey
    Filed under: Draft Dope, High School, Stock Report

1. Giolito's price won't drop significantly. He was probably looking at a $5-6 million payday had he not gotten injured and while his number may have to come down a little, he still has plenty of leverage. For one, Giolito got rave reviews this summer, fall and early this spring. When healthy, he has a mid-90s fastball that touched 100 mph, a nasty curveball and a very good changeup. He also comes from a financially-stable family, has a great fallback plan at UCLA and is young for the class. Still, let's assume he wouldn't walk away from what Dylan Bundy got last year—$4 million. (It's important to note here Bundy got that bonus as part of a $6.25 million major league deal, which are now precluded by the CBA for draft picks.)
    I'm hearing if he doesn't go Top 10, he's going to UCLA. I wonder if the Reds would take the chance at 14...

Also I'm no longer interested in either of the Williamses- Trey or Nick.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?