Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 MLB Draft order

Re: 2012 MLB Draft order

In his first mock draft posted today, Keith Law has the Reds taking Kyle Zimmer, with Hawkins, Shaffer, Gioloto, Fried and Correa (ie all of my guys) off the board.

In this scenario, I'd be fine with Zimmer or really any of the "next tier" of college arms (Heaney, Stratton, etc.) I still believe (hope) that one of my guys will fall to 14.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Any concern here that the Reds picking in the bottom half of the first round for the foreseeable future (if things go right) will prevent them from picking up an impact bat? Especially with the new terms of the draft that, I'm told, should move the sign-ability guys back up to the front of the draft?

I know Votto was a 2nd rounder, and so was Dunn, but in that success the Reds were kind of lucky.

My concerns are based on skimming the baseball ref site back to 2000. Most of the impact bats were taken 16th or higher.

Pitching on the other hand accounts for much of the success in the first two rounds of the draft. Perhaps there is some correlation to the quality of pitching drafted over the last 10 years and the league era's we are seeing now?

Anyway, hitting is at a premium, and felt more keenly by Reds fans this year than many in the past.

I'm looking at 2015 and beyond. Will the Reds have to get lucky to find another young impact bat?

(hope this conversation is okay here, seems to be the draft thread)
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    In his first mock draft posted today, Keith Law has the Reds taking Kyle Zimmer, with Hawkins, Shaffer, Gioloto, Fried and Correa (ie all of my guys) off the board.

In this scenario, I'd be fine with Zimmer or really any of the "next tier" of college arms (Heaney, Stratton, etc.) I still believe (hope) that one of my guys will fall to 14.
    Where did David Dahl and Addison Russell go ?
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Unless some red flag has come up in the last week or so, I don't think Keith Law has any clue what he is talking about. Zimmer is being discussed as the possible first pick overall and in the Baseball America top 100 rankings that just came out today he is the #1 ranked pitching prospect and the #3 ranked prospect overall.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...2/2613410.html

I would love for the Reds to get him at #14, but unless something has changed recently it seems about as likely as Scott Rolen winning the batting title
    Last edited by krm1580; 05-15-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    Unless some red flag has come up in the last week or so, I don't think Keith Law has any clue what he is talking about. Zimmer is being discussed as the possible first pick overall and in the Baseball America top 100 rankings that just came out today he is the #1 ranked pitching prospect and the #3 ranked prospect overall.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...2/2613410.html

I would love for the Reds to get him at #14, but unless something has changes recently it seems about as likely as Scott Rolen winning the batting title
    According to Law, he injured his hamstring (missed one start) and his fastball velocity is down.
    Go BLUE!!!

According to Law, he injured his hamstring (missed one start) and his fastball velocity is down.
    My apologies to Keith Law. I just read it on Baseball America about his hamstring hindering him. If that is the case and he falls to the Reds at #14 awesome. Book it.

Impact bat, hopefully at OF - toolsy guy would be my hope. Someone who projects much better than a Ryan LaMarre. Jason Heyward was a 14th overall pick. Someone like him. Why take another pitcher? We have a dozen young arms in the system now. 1/2 of them fail and we still have more than a starting rotation in:

Stephenson
    Villarreal
    Corcino
    Sulbaran
    Lotzkar
    Cingrani
    Josh Smith
    Quezada
    Romano
    James Allen
    Amir Garrett
    Covington
    Andrew Cisco
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Impact bat, hopefully at OF - toolsy guy would be my hope. Someone who projects much better than a Ryan LaMarre. Jason Heyward was a 14th overall pick. Someone like him.
    If that's what you want (and I would agree) then Courtney Hawkins is our man. Let's hope he falls to 14- I'd give it a 50/50 chance.
    Go BLUE!!!

While I don't like to get my hopes up too high for any individual player, I am taking a strong liking to Corey Seager. High ceiling LH high school bat who plays SS, probably moving to 3B.

If that's what you want (and I would agree) then Courtney Hawkins is our man. Let's hope he falls to 14- I'd give it a 50/50 chance.
    Thanks Beni, is there another name or two in that mold that might be there I can research?
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Thanks Beni, is there another name or two in that mold that might be there I can research?
    Other than Hawkins, a couple other names to watch would be

Richie Shaffer (Clemson 3B could be a poorer man's Evan Longoria)
    Carlos Correa (HS 3B will likely go Top 10)
    David Dahl (HS OF could end up as a LaMarre-type, but could have more upside)
    Joey Gallo (HS 3B will likely shift to 1B, all-or-nothing power bat)
    Victor Roache (College 1B/OF with most power in draft, will likely slide to back of first round after breaking his wrist)

DJ Davis (HS OF) is a name to watch for the sandwich round.

As mentioned above, lollipopcurve likes Corey Seager. Others like Addison Russell, but I'm not sure if he can really be an impact bat- although he could be an above average offensive SS.
    Go BLUE!!!

My updated (realistic) Draft Board - assuming Buxton, Correa, Fried, Appel, Gausman and Zunino are all going Top 10. I'm hoping some guys I have less interest in like Deven Marrero, Michael Wacha, Marcus Stroman, and Lance McCullers sneak into the top 13.

FIRST ROUND (#14)

1. Lucas Gioloto RHP
    2. Courtney Hawkins OF
    3. Kyle Zimmer RHP
    4. Richie Shaffer 3B

SANDWICH ROUND (#49 AND #57)

1. Victor Roache OF
    2. Matt Smoral LHP
    3. Chris Stratton RHP
    4. Addison Russell SS
    5. Corey Seager 3B
    6. Hunter Virant LHP
    7. Joey Gallo 3B
    8. Lucas Sims RHP
    9. David Dahl OF
    10. Rio Ruiz 3B (could fall to 2nd round after suffering a blood clot, and I'd love him there)
    Last edited by Benihana; 05-17-2012 at 02:47 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Another early round possibility? Chase Mullins, Bourbon (KY) Co. pitcher. 6-9/260 lefty, 17 year old Senior.

Threw nine no-hit innings today with 16 strikeouts tonight. Hadn't heard much about him.

http://http://www.kentucky.com/2012/...ft-hander.html

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...raft#storyjump

Interesting take from a scout. Barrett Barnes would be a name I'd love to see the Reds take if he falls to the 2nd round (or maybe even at 57)- particularly if we don't get Hawkins at 14 or Roache at 49. Could be a fast mover and plug the LF hole in the next couple years.

If we could somehow get Stratton in the sandwich round, I'd also be very happy.

As was the case before, I do not want Wacha at 14.
    Last edited by Benihana; 05-18-2012 at 12:14 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Perfect Game is doing a live mock draft today at 1 pm central:

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/...x?article=7030

For the most part, they have seen the majority of the players numerous times live in the past three years.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Turn Off Ads?