Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 MLB Draft order

Re: 2012 MLB Draft order

Interesting take from a scout. Barrett Barnes would be a name I'd love to see the Reds take if he falls to the 2nd round (or maybe even at 57)- particularly if we don't get Hawkins at 14 or Roache at 49. Could be a fast mover and plug the LF hole in the next couple years.
    Lamarre, Hamilton and especially Lutz are guys who could be more than ready for LF in that time frame. It's kind of amazing how quickly true prospects in the system lose favor in place of players who have never played professionally.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Lamarre, Hamilton and especially Lutz are guys who could be more than ready for LF in that time frame. It's kind of amazing how quickly true prospects in the system lose favor in place of players who have never played professionally.
    The only guy you named who could be a starting-caliber LF is Lutz. And seeing as how he is in high A ball at the moment, it wouldn't hurt to introduce some added competition. Nothing is a given.

LaMarre and Hamilton are not LF, and shouldn't be considered for that spot on a first division team.
    Go BLUE!!!

Minorleagueball has posted two mocks in the last week, one with the Reds getting Max Fried at 14 (love it) and one with Andrew Heaney.

The Heaney draft has Hawkins, Shaffer, Gioloto and Fried all off the board by 14- given those (worst-case scenario) circumstances I would be OK with the Heaney pick.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...irst-10-rounds
    http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...unds#storyjump
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    Perfect Game is doing a live mock draft today at 1 pm central:

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/...x?article=7030

For the most part, they have seen the majority of the players numerous times live in the past three years.
    How did it play out?
    Go BLUE!!!

The Reds indicated today that Sean Casey will be their representative at the draft. When did MLB start doing this sort of thing?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    The Reds indicated today that Sean Casey will be their representative at the draft. When did MLB start doing this sort of thing?
    Couple of years ago when they started having it on tv.

LaMarre and Hamilton are not LF, and shouldn't be considered for that spot on a first division team.
    I suggest you check out the starting leftfielders around baseball these days. It's not the steroid era any more.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I suggest you check out the starting leftfielders around baseball these days. It's not the steroid era any more.
    Ok I checked, and nope- Hamilton and LaMarre are still not starting LF on first division major league teams. So much of their value is tied up in the fact that they could/would play plus defense in CF (if not MI in Hamilton's case).
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Ok I checked, and nope- Hamilton and LaMarre are still not starting LF on first division major league teams. So much of their value is tied up in the fact that they could/would play plus defense in CF (if not MI in Hamilton's case).
    No team is full of 'first division starters' except the All Star teams.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    No team is full of 'first division starters' except the All Star teams.
    Doesn't mean you shouldn't aim for that when drafting and developing prospects, which is what this thread is about.
    Go BLUE!!!

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Mock Draft

14. Cincinnati - Deven Marrero

Marrero doesn't sound like a bad pick. The Reds took him in the 17th round of 2009 but were unable to get him signed. He had an incredible freshman season at Arizona State before the change in the bats really changed how college baseball was played. Here are his stats:

Code:
    Year	Team	AB	R	H	2B	3B	HR	RBI	SB	CS	BB	SO	AVG	OBP	SLG	OPS
    2010	ASU	156	31	62	12	3	6	42	11	1	13	24	.397	.442	.628	1070
    2011	ASU	207	30	66	14	3	2	20	10	5	13	29	.319	.354	.444	799
    2012	ASU	204	36	57	10	5	4	32	10	3	17	16	.279	.351	.436	787

I don't want to draft a "shortstop only bat" in the middle of the first round. Sorry.

Give me a power guy, or pitcher.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I don't want to draft a "shortstop only bat" in the middle of the first round. Sorry.

Why? If the guy is a shortstop, and Marrero is, what does it matter that he can't hit somewhere else on the field since he won't be playing anywhere else on the field? Top it off with this draft being one of the weakest in the last 20 years and well, pickings are slim.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post

This. Marrero and Wacha are two guys I'd be disappointed with because of their lack of upside.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?