Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 MLB Draft order

Re: 2012 MLB Draft order

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Very, VERY early, but here are some names (all HS guys) that I like in this year's draft:

1. Byron Buxton OF
    2. Lucas Gioloto RHP
    3. Trey Williams 3B
    4. Carlos Correa 3B
    5. David Dahl OF
    6. Nick Williams OF
    7. Matt Smoral LHP

While Buxton is overwhelmingly my favorite right now from this list, Smoral is a big lefty from northern Ohio that would fit in with some other big lefty recent acquisitions like Chapman and Garrett.

Victor Roache is a slugging 1B/LF type from the college ranks that could arrive as soon as 2014 and provide a much-needed boost to the offense at that time.
    Every scouting report I have read on Roache is very high on his bat. Most project him to be at 1b. He also walks almost as much as he strikes out. A very interesting prospect in my opinion.
    Let's get weird!

2. Turn Off Ads?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Though rival teams were surprised to see the Reds agree to terms with Ryan Madson, the move will help the team stockpile draft picks. They’ll obtain a compensatory pick when Francisco Cordero signs elsewhere and could obtain two more picks if they tender Madson a contract next offseason and he leaves as a free agent.
    The Reds are going to attempt to turn Aroldis Chapman into a starter this Spring Training, though there’s some skepticism he’ll thrive in the rotation.

https://twitter.com/#!/jimcallisBA/s...08595983523840

@jimcallisBAJim Callis
    #Phillies get sandwich & 2nd-rder for Madson going to #Reds. As of now, those would be picks 38 & 72. #mlbdraft

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...2/2612812.html

With modified Type A free agent Ryan Madson leaving the Phillies for the Reds, only seven remaining compensation free agents remain on the market. Philadelphia will receive sandwich- and second-round picks for the loss of Madson. The updated draft order is below:

First Round
    1. Astros
    2. Twins
    3. Mariners
    4. Orioles
    5. Royals
    6. Cubs
    7. Padres
    8. Pirates
    9. Marlins
    10. Rockies
    11. Athletics
    12. Mets
    13. White Sox
    14. Reds
    15. Indians
    16. Nationals
    17. Blue Jays
    18. Dodgers
    19. Cardinals (from Angels for Albert Pujols, Type A)
    20. Giants
    21. Braves
    22. Blue Jays (for failure to sign 2011 first-rounder Tyler Beede)
    23. Cardinals
    24. Red Sox
    25. Rays
    26. Diamondbacks
    27. Tigers
    28. Brewers
    29. Rangers
    30. Yankees
    31. Red Sox (from Phillies for Jonathan Papelbon, Type A)
    Supplemental First Round
    32. Twins (for Michael Cuddyer, modified Type A, to Rockies)
    33. Padres (for Heath Bell, modified Type A, to Marlins)
    34. Athletics (for Josh Willingham, modified Type A, to Twins)
    35. Mets (for Jose Reyes, Type A, to Marlins)
    36. Cardinals (for Pujols)
    37. Red Sox (for Papelbon)
    38. Rangers (for C.J. Wilson, Type A, to Angels)
    39. Phillies (for Ryan Madson, modified Type A, to Reds)
    40. Astros (for Clint Barmes, Type B, to Pirates)
    41. Twins (for Jason Kubel, Type B, to Diamondbacks)
    42. Cubs (for Aramis Ramirez, Type B, to Brewers)
    43. Padres (for Aaron Harang, Type B, to Dodgers)
    44. Pirates (for Ryan Doumit, Type B, to Twins)
    45. Rockies (for Mark Ellis, Type B, to Dodgers)
    46. Athletics (for David DeJesus, Type B, to Cubs)
    47. White Sox (for Mark Buehrle, Type B, to Marlins)
    48. Reds (for Ramon Hernandez, Type B, to Rockies)
    49. Blue Jays (for Frank Francisco, Type B, to Mets)
    50. Dodgers (for Rod Barajas, Type B, to Pirates)
    51. Cardinals (for Octavio Dotel, Type B, to Tigers)
    52. Rangers (for Darren Oliver, Type B, to Blue Jays)
    53. Blue Jays (for Jon Rauch, Type B, to Mets)
    54. Blue Jays (for Jose Molina, Type B, to Rays)
    55. Padres (for failure to sign 2011 sandwich-rounder Brett Austin)
    Second-Round Changes
    57. Athletics (for Willingham)
    65. Padres (for Bell)
    66. Mets (from Marlins for Reyes)
    67. Twins (for Cuddyer)
    72. Phillies (for Madson)
    78. Rangers (from Angels for Wilson)
    89. Yankees (for failure to sign 2011 second-rounder Sam Stafford)
    Supplemental Third Round
    121. Mariners (for failure to sign 2011 third-rounder Kevin Cron)
    122. Marlins (for failure to sign 2011 third-rounder Connor Barron)
    123. Rockies (for failure to sign 2011 third-rounder Peter O'Brien)
    Remaining Compensation Free Agents
    Brewers: Prince Fielder (A).
    Cardinals: Edwin Jackson (B).
    Cubs: Carlos Pena (B).
    Phillies: Raul Ibanez (B).
    Pirates: Derrek Lee (B).
    Red Sox: Dan Wheeler (B).
    Reds: Francisco Cordero (B).
    A* indicates modified Type A free agent.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...2/2612812.html

Every pick in the first 10 rounds is assigned a value, which ranges from $7.2 million for the No. 1 overall choice to $125,000 for the final pick in the 10th round. Those values are totaled to determine each team's draft pool. If a club exceeds its draft pool, it will receive penalties ranging from a 75-percent tax on the overage (for a 0-5 percent overage) to the loss of two first-round picks and a 100-percent tax on the overage (for an overage of 15 percent or more).

After the 10th round, teams can sign players for up to $100,000 without it affecting their draft pool. Any bonus money over $100,000 will count against the draft pool.

Under the old rules, the Cubs merely drew the commissioner's office's ire when they gave 14th-rounder Dillon Maples $2.5 million last August. With the new system, that bonus would count as $2.4 million toward Chicago's draft pool for the first 10 rounds. That almost certainly would cost the Cubs a pair of first-round choices, a price they probably wouldn't be willing to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by izzy's dad View Post
    Every scouting report I have read on Roache is very high on his bat. Most project him to be at 1b. He also walks almost as much as he strikes out. A very interesting prospect in my opinion.
    I would be ecstatic if Buxton or Roache ere there when the Reds pick. I'd like to see the Reds take at least a solid college and HS corner OF bat each in the first 10-12 picks.

This June the Tigers will surrender their first round pick (27th overall) to the Brewers, who offered Fielder arbitration earlier in the offseason. Milwaukee will also obtain a second compensatory pick for losing Fielder, the seventh overall selection in the 2002 draft. Fielder is among the Brewers' all-time leaders in many offensive categories, including home runs (230), on-base percentage (.390), sluggling percentage (.540) and walks (566).

Though the Blue Jays won't have to surrender a draft pick to sign Cordero, the Reds will obtain a supplementary first round pick because of the modified procedure for Type A free agents under baseball's new collective bargaining agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post

This June the Tigers will surrender their first round pick (27th overall) to the Brewers, who offered Fielder arbitration earlier in the offseason. Milwaukee will also obtain a second compensatory pick for losing Fielder, the seventh overall selection in the 2002 draft. Fielder is among the Brewers' all-time leaders in many offensive categories, including home runs (230), on-base percentage (.390), sluggling percentage (.540) and walks (566).
    Looking like it will prbably be a top 30 or so pick giving us 3 of the first 48 (so far). Should help in replenishing the system some (as long as they don't punt on any of them).

So the Reds pick for Cordero should be top 40?
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    So the Reds pick for Cordero should be top 40?
    According to http://www.mymlbdraft.com/2012-mlb-draft-order, Reds will get #56 for Coco. I thought it would be higher (early 40s)?? Oh well.

Regardless, I believe the Reds would then have #14, #49, #56, and #75 in the upcoming draft. By comparison, that's four picks before the Reds were able to take their second player (Zach Stewart) in 2008.

Prettay, prettay good!
    Last edited by Benihana; 01-25-2012 at 11:22 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

I wonder what direction they'll take. Offense vs Pitching, HS vs college. Perhaps that's for another thread.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I wonder what direction they'll take. Offense vs Pitching, HS vs college. Perhaps that's for another thread.
    Well, personally I hope they take the route of "best player available" for every pick. You can always sort them out later.

It seems to me that this draft tends to be more HS-weighted than the past few years. Obviously it's still tremendously early so we'll see how that pans out.

As I mentioned earlier, big stick Victor Roache is the only college guy I really like for the Reds at 14. The rest of the guys I really like at this very early point (ie VERY subject to change) are HS guys like Buxton, Gioloto, etc.

Of course, as always, BPA takes the day.
    Go BLUE!!!

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...2/2612723.html

• The draft has been reduced from 50 to 40 rounds.

• Any attempt to circumvent the draft cap, such as an under-the-table agreement, is expressly prohibited.

• Teams get an extra year of protection for compensation picks for failure to sign draftees from the first three rounds. For example, the Blue Jays get the 22nd pick in 2012 after not signing No. 21 overall choice Tyler Beede in 2011. If Toronto can't come to terms with the compensation selection, it would get another one in 2013.

Turn Off Ads?