Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 MLB Draft order

Re: 2012 MLB Draft order

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Here's a mock draft from John Sickles: http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...-april-edition

I'd be content with Courtney Hawkins in the 1st. I'd LOVE it if we could get him in the Supp (and get Correa or a pitcher in the 1st)

Huge upside HS OF bat? Yes please.
    Yeah, I'd be cool with Hawkins. I honestly don't think Correa will fall to the Reds and likewise, I don't think Hawkins will fall to the supp round.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Yeah, I'd be cool with Hawkins. I honestly don't think Correa will fall to the Reds and likewise, I don't think Hawkins will fall to the supp round.
    You might be right but with six weeks still to go a lot can happen.
    Go BLUE!!!

Hitters I would love to see us draft:

Carlos Correa SS/3B
    Courtney Hawkins OF
    Richie Shaffer 3B
    Addison Russell 3B
    Victor Roache OF

If we could get two of these guys along with a high upside HS pitcher with our three picks before the second round begins, it would be a FANTASTIC draft. I'm not big on drafting for need, but these guys could play 3B or LF and are some of the best power prospects in the entire draft.

Being college guys, Shaffer and Roache could have particularly quick paths to the big leagues and would slot in nicely in this projected 2015 lineup:

CF Hamilton
    SS Cozart
    1B Votto
    LF Roache
    RF Bruce
    C Mesoraco
    3B Shaffer
    2B Phillips
    Go BLUE!!!

www.mymlbdraft.com has an early one.

Carlos Correa, Joey Gallo, Addison Russell all seem to be big swinging 3B prospects that could go early.

Stephen Piscotty seems to be the best college (corner) stick, but I'm less interested in him. Victor Roache would be nice in the sandwich or second round if he really can play LF (better than Alonso or Dunn could).
    Wouldn't hold much faith in this draft they have the A's drafting a hs pitcher...

An updated Mock:

http://prospectinsider.com/Mock.php

For some reason, I am not all that excited about this draft.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

I'd love to see the Reds get Hawkins or Wacha.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

With less than a month to go until draft day, I'm surprised there has been so little chatter- especially given the fact that the Reds have more high picks this year than they've had in several years.

Guys I'd still like to target with those three early picks are

1. Lucas Gioloto RHP
    2. Carlos Correa SS/3B
    3. Max Fried LHP
    4. Matt Smoral LHP
    5. Courtney Hawkins OF

6. David Dahl OF
    7. Richie Shaffer* 3B
    8. Addison Russell SS/3B
    9. Gavin Cecchini SS
    10. Victor Roache* OF
    11. Joey Gallo 3B
    12. Rio Ruiz 3B
    13. Stryker Trahan C
    14. Hunter Virant LHP
    15. Taylore Cherry RHP
    16. Skye Bolt OF

probably in that order. The first 5 I like at #14 and the rest I'd love to get in the supplemental or second. Anyone else out there that really likes or dislikes some of these guys?

*college player
    Go BLUE!!!

Guys I'd still like to target with those three early picks are

1. Lucas Gioloto RHP
    2. Carlos Correa SS/3B
    3. Max Fried LHP
    4. Matt Smoral LHP
    5. Courtney Hawkins OF

6. David Dahl OF
    7. Richie Shaffer* 3B
    8. Addison Russell SS/3B
    9. Gavin Cecchini SS
    10. Victor Roache* OF
    11. Joey Gallo 3B
    12. Rio Ruiz 3B
    13. Stryker Trahan C
    14. Hunter Virant LHP
    15. Taylore Cherry RHP
    16. Skye Bolt OF
    Not a fan of Smoral. Delivery looks awkward. At 6'8" he's got a lot to try to coordinate.

From this list, I like Cecchini, Hawkins, Virant, Trahan. Just personal preferences, nothing particularly informed. Some of those top guys won't make it to the Reds - I don't even consider them. In general, I think pitching might be the way to go with the 1st pick. Wouldn't mind seeing another pick like Stephenson -- big HS arm with promising breaking stuff is a nice formula, IMO. Also intrigued by DJ Davis, a fast-rising high schooler from Mississippi.

Hope Reds take Dahl or Addison. If they don't, then I hope one of the other teams I follow like the Braves or Rays take them.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Keith Law put out his top 100 draft prospects today. Benihana, hate to say it, but all of the first round picks you listed are top 10, except for Smoral (who is projected to go late first round).

Keith Law put out his top 100 draft prospects today. Benihana, hate to say it, but all of the first round picks you listed are top 10, except for Smoral (who is projected to go late first round).
    Shows you how on top of my game I am
    Go BLUE!!!

Shows you how on top of my game I am
    Of course! But it also means that the odds of 1 (or many of those guys) falling to the Reds is unlikely.

Of course! But it also means that the odds of 1 (or many of those guys) falling to the Reds is unlikely.
    I wouldn't call it "unlikely". It happens every year (although many times it requires an over-slot bonus to sign the player). Besides, there's still plenty of time for the rankings to change a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I wouldn't call it "unlikely". It happens every year (although many times it requires an over-slot bonus to sign the player). Besides, there's still plenty of time for the rankings to change a bit.
    I don't think the top 10 will change too much at this point, unless there is an injury. Maybe a player or two.

The question I have recently been asking is who are the kids from Texas and the Western States? The Reds seem to trust those scouts. Fried, Giolito, Hawkins, Appel, Marrero, Gallo and Wacha are the first round types that are in those areas. The did take Alonso and Grandal out of Miami in recent years, but those guys aren't here anymore either. I really like Corey Seager. He might be a tough sign though.

What does the new CBA mean to this signing process for these guys?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?