Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My friend is getting engaged too soon... what do I do?

Re: My friend is getting engaged too soon... what do I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    If he's your friend, be there for him for this, and be there for him if it fails. Don't offer advice though unless he asks for it. You can't do a lot for him except anger him if you indicate you are anything but supportive.
    I'll chime in on this side of things. Like many have said, you have to be receptive to the message in order to hear it. Otherwise it just creates hard feelings. Your friend isn't receptive and is charging forward. You'll just have to be there for him and pick up the pieces if it happens (or congratulate him on a long and happy marriage, that happens too, marriage is a roll of the dice).

Some people just have to go forward and make the big mistakes in order to learn from them ( ). You can warn them all you like, but for many various reasons, they'll think what you are saying is wrong or doesn't apply to them. They have to go on and make a big mistake, pay the price, and suffer for it before it gets embodied into their life code.

I will say that when you learn your lessons this way, it is very painful but you also learn those lessons exceedingly well and learn to never (ever ever ever) go back there again.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I don't know the girl well enough to form an opinion. I know three people that went to high school with her, and they all strongly say that she's horrible. Another one of our friends met her and did not like her.
    I wouldn't take peoples opinions on her as a person from how she was 7-10 years ago. Especially in high school, when a whole lot of outside influences can mold our perceptions of people.

I don't know the girl well enough to form an opinion. I know three people that went to high school with her, and they all strongly say that she's horrible. Another one of our friends met her and did not like her.

The only thing I have a problem with is the haste, especially with what he went through with his previous girlfriend cheating on him. His older sister also got married to a guy very quickly (at around the age of 24), and she was divorced 10 months later.

For all I know, they may be perfect for each other, and have a lifetime of happiness. I just think he's being hasty, and not thinking clearly.
    Just curious. How is she horrible? Skank, or what?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    To be honest, I'm not exactly sure. Kind of an airhead, and pretty boring. I never really asked my buddies why they thought she was so horrible because I agreed with what many have said in that I don't really care about what she was like in high school, and I wanted to form my own opinion. However, I haven't gotten to know her enough to come to any conclusions.

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure. Kind of an airhead, and pretty boring. I never really asked my buddies why they thought she was so horrible because I agreed with what many have said in that I don't really care about what she was like in high school, and I wanted to form my own opinion. However, I haven't gotten to know her enough to come to any conclusions.
    Lol. "an airhead" and "pretty boring"? And she's a 6?! How dare she! Skip getting him to break up with her...have you reported her to authorities? She shouldnt be allowed to roam free amongst you, she should be locked up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Someone please kill this thread because there is no correct answer and it's stupid on top of that.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

classy

They call me "chef"

Skanks are people too. I'm with Rimdog. Thread has' run its course.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    classy
    Excuse me?

He said his friends said she was horrible.... initially it sounded to me like maybe she has a reputation of sleeping around or something.

Excuse me?

He said his friends said she was horrible.... initially it sounded to me like maybe she has a reputation of sleeping around or something.
    Then we find out its worse than that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Skanks are people too. I'm with Rimdog. Thread has' run its course.
    Well played, sir!

Who cares? This is a good friend of yours and it's not your relationship. Let them be. 9 months with a girl isn't too early. If they've been together for 6 months in the same apartment, then I'd say it's going OK.

Don't involve yourself in affairs of the heart. It will backfire on YOU.

Excuse me?

calling a woman a "skank" is classless.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    calling a woman a "skank" is classless.
    Agreed. Men who sleep around are what? Studs?

Calling a someone a "skank" is juvenile and classless.

Turn Off Ads?