Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: NFL Playoffs

Re: NFL Playoffs

Two really really good games today.

Now we get the 07 rematch and two weeks of ESPN talking about that game.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Not that it matters, but just for my own edification, does anyone know what would happen at the end of the first overtime period in a playoff game (assuming no team had scored)? Specifically, would the team that received at the beginning of overtime have to kick off (like it was the end of a half) or would they just switch sides and keep playing (like it was the end of the 1st or 3rd quarter)? Everything I found in 1 minute or so of googling just talked about the new scoring rules.

Yep, good games.

Terry Bradshaw is brainless.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Yep, good games.

Terry Bradshaw is brainless.
    LOL, I was really concerned he was going to drop that trophy.

Harbaugh should have not had Williams back out there after the thin hit his knee. If that was his first mistake, then you can't bench a guy for that. But the dude dove for a a punt earlier in the game. It was really dumb and something you just never see. He was incredibly lucky not to have lost that one to the Giants.

Then he was very indecisive on that one that he touched that allowed the Giants to get a TD a few plays later.

At that point it should have been clear he was no up for that job in this game. I even said it after that play. At that moment, I thought Harbaugh needed to find someone else to field the punt. Williams was rattled.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Double post. Darn phone.
    Last edited by Roy Tucker; 01-22-2012 at 11:12 PM.

Maybe Harbaugh can spend his offseason classing up his post game handshake. There's room for improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    Not that it matters, but just for my own edification, does anyone know what would happen at the end of the first overtime period in a playoff game (assuming no team had scored)? Specifically, would the team that received at the beginning of overtime have to kick off (like it was the end of a half) or would they just switch sides and keep playing (like it was the end of the 1st or 3rd quarter)? Everything I found in 1 minute or so of googling just talked about the new scoring rules.

IIRC, its like the end of the 1st or 3rd qiarters. Swap ends and keep going. I remember that happening in the Chiefs Dolphins '71 playoff game that went 6 quarters.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Great games -- helped distract me from the anger of my Buccaneers hiring Chip Kelly to be their next 3-year failure at head coach.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    And that's how the defense that can't stop a nosebleed gets to the SB. Unbelievable.
    Teams with high powered offenses often give up tons of yards. They were 14th in points allowed, hardly lousy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Teams with high powered offenses often give up tons of yards. They were 14th in points allowed, hardly lousy.
    Sorry, Bart Scott called them that, think of it as a term of endearment in a love/hate relationship. Of course, it's all love today.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Harbaugh should have not had Williams back out there after the thin hit his knee. If that was his first mistake, then you can't bench a guy for that. But the dude dove for a a punt earlier in the game. It was really dumb and something you just never see. He was incredibly lucky not to have lost that one to the Giants.

Then he was very indecisive on that one that he touched that allowed the Giants to get a TD a few plays later.

At that point it should have been clear he was no up for that job in this game. I even said it after that play. At that moment, I thought Harbaugh needed to find someone else to field the punt. Williams was rattled.
    Williams was back there because Ginn was out. Williams was already the #2 returner, how deep do teams go in that regard?

After watching the second half unfold it was quite evidend that neither team's offense was going to create a score on their own. It was going to take a TO or ST play. In the end it was a ST TO that sealed the game.

I think sometimes we blame the offensive player for the fumble when it was just a great defensive play, or shear luck at times. I don't think Williams was doing anything wrong, just got hit in the wrong place at the wrong time. Heck if he doesn't fumble he may have another 10-15 yards and puts the niners in very good field position.

The kid had only returned 5 all year with Ginn being the primary returner. However I got to put a lot of the blame on SF not coaching the kid up in that role. I think they needed to be specific about what punts to return and when to get the heck out of the way. I feel bad for the kid because his two gaffes lost them the game.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

How do you only catch one pass all day Michael Crabtree? His performance was awful!
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

I get that it was Ginn's role and he was a backup. My point is that he looked like he was in over his head. I mean, the kid dove for a punt. Who does that? Then he looks totally indecisive and made a HUGE mistake. He's a young guy on a big stage. You don't recover from that in a quarter. They could have had someone else go back to field the punt with the clear directive to either fair catch the ball or let it bounce. Williams was frazzled and should not have been put in a position to lose the game for them, which he did. I thought that before the punt was even made.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?