Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: NFL Playoffs

Re: NFL Playoffs

In one of the post-games I watched, they emphasized how Tom Coughlin continues to "coach-up" his guys throughout the season. They said you are playing a lot of young guys and sometimes in positions you aren't familiar with and that the NFL still is a developmental league. Which I think applies here.

So yeah, Williams didn't have enough sense to not try things he's not capable of but I'll go along with putting some blame on Harbaugh too. Even if he's the #2 or #3 guy, you prepare him for that role and you coach him for it (or make sure your assistants do). And as a punt returner, your first mission is "first, do no harm". If you fair-catch every punt, well, that's OK. At least you aren't losing the game. I know Harbaugh is a very aggressive coach and wants his players to "make plays" as they say now. But sometimes you have to be smart. Put your WR with the best hands back there and make good decisions.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I get that it was Ginn's role and he was a backup. My point is that he looked like he was in over his head. I mean, the kid dove for a punt. Who does that? Then he looks totally indecisive and made a HUGE mistake. He's a young guy on a big stage. You don't recover from that in a quarter. They could have had someone else go back to field the punt with the clear directive to either fair catch the ball or let it bounce. Williams was frazzled and should not have been put in a position to lose the game for them, which he did. I thought that before the punt was even made.
    If he was the #2 guy what do you think the #3 guy would look like? Also the Giants punter was sending low line drives back there, you have to take advantage of that. The one that hit his leg was a bad play, the one that he fumbled was an unfortunate play.

To me the most telling play was the dive. It wound up not costing them, but oh man, I don't think I've ever seen that in the NFL. To me, that was a signal that the kid wasn't ready for this stage in that role. Sometimes you don't know that until they're out there so I don't think the #3 guy could have been worse. Like Roy said, you put a receiver with good hands back there with instructions fair catch. You can't lose the game on catching punts.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Great games -- helped distract me from the anger of my Buccaneers hiring Chip Kelly to be their next 3-year failure at head coach.
    Oh well. At least now you know Kelly's not going to TB:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/74...l-manager-says

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Oh well. At least now you know Kelly's not going to TB:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/74...l-manager-says
    I feel like a dude on death row who just got a phone call from the governor.

Not saying who they end up hiring will be great, but Chip Kelly had Bobby Petrino v. 2.0 written all over it.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

It doesn't matter if the guy was 2nd, 3rd, or 6th on the depth chart, the moment was obviously too big for him and Harbaugh should have gone to someone else.

Ditka said this exact same thing on Mike & Mike this morning and I fully agree.

The best point was made by MWM, about Williams diving to catch that punt like he was a center fielder. Harbaugh shouldn't have let him go back out there after that. Send Crabtree out there, something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Heard the early line was N.E. favored by 3 in the Super Bowl. I'm not a betting man, but if I were I would take NYG and the points easy. In fact I think the Giants win the game straight up.
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

I have a question about the Patriots and this may sound dumb but why don't more borderline players play both ways in certain situations like Edelman does and Troy Brown used to? It seems like Belechick is the only coach to do this and I don't get it. If I was a 5th wide reciever I would volunteer to be a nickol or dime back, seems like it would make me more useful and prolong my career.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

The easy answer is that other coaches have to worry about getting fired for doing unconventional things if they don't work and Belichick doesn't. But other coaches also don't seem to release half decent DBs before and during the season to keep extra linemen on the roster instead.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Heard the early line was N.E. favored by 3 in the Super Bowl. I'm not a betting man, but if I were I would take NYG and the points easy. In fact I think the Giants win the game straight up.
    I agree. I see the Giants winning this game more easily than they did in 2007. NE's defense will be their undoing. If I'm a NE fan, I'm hoping to channel the Eli of old and hope he throws 4 picks

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Sorry, Bart Scott called them that, think of it as a term of endearment in a love/hate relationship. Of course, it's all love today.
    No need to be sorry my friend...analyzing NFL defenses is hard, especially when many yards are racked up in garbage/prevent time.

When you score 30 plus points a game, you normally give up some yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Looks like Weatherford was wearing a wedding ring on the FG hold. Odd.
    Just to close this loop...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ame/index.html

There is a link on that page that tells about pro athletes that wear their wedding rings on the field of play.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Just to close this loop...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ame/index.html

There is a link on that page that tells about pro athletes that wear their wedding rings on the field of play.
    I see a lot of guys with tape on their left ring finger so I presumed this was covering up a wedding ring. One such example this year was Ben Roethlisberger

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I see a lot of guys with tape on their left ring finger so I presumed this was covering up a wedding ring. One such example this year was Ben Roethlisberger
    Yep.

See http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/story/...?eleven=twelve

Turn Off Ads?