5.Bill Hall
    6.Alfredo Amezaga
    7.Corey Patterson
    8.Ryan Ludwick
    9.Conor Jackson
    10.Johnny Damon

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: top 10 back up outfield canidates

I think id have Damon alot higher because his bat might be one of the best on this list, but since he doesnt play the field much anymore your probably right

Fukodome gets on base at pretty decent rate. I would go with him first.
    Let's get weird!

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by izzy's dad View Post
    Fukodome gets on base at pretty decent rate. I would go with him first.
    we needs to limit the ex-Cubs on the team ----
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

That list makes me want to throw up.

and if they sign Corey Patterson (again) I'm boycotting the season.

JD Drew and Magglio Ordonez are both still out there as well. Drew is made of glass, but I wouldn't mind picking him up as a backup. Fukudome wouldn't be horrible, and I'd be okay with either Ludwick or Ross off the bench since both guys have a bit of pop.

Unfortunately, none of the FAs still out there - with the potential exception of Cespedes - has the potential to be a major difference maker for the 2012 Reds.

Fukudome is a reasonable option, and probably the most reliable of all of these. Damon is coming off a pretty good season too, and would probably mesh well in the clubhouse. Beyond that, it's slim pickings, and nobody that remotely deserves to platoon with Heisey. Ankiel is very underwhelming. Ross is on the decline, as are Drew and Pierre. We'll pick up at least one of these guys to be a 4th/5th OF, but nobody seems like true starter material.

My prediction is that Jocketty makes a move with a rebuilding team for a player who had a down year, similar to the move that the Marlins made with the Cubs earlier. Alex Rios might be a candidate.

I wouldn't mind Rios but he's due $ 36 million over the next three years. Don't see the Reds absorbing that.

It might not be the exact order i would go with but I have damon so far down because he is limited to playing left field. But being the fact of the reds are looking for a 4th outfielder i would want them to be able to play all 3 spots which is one reason i left off a guy like Vlad who could be a back up left fielder and a DH in interleauge. I honestly wouldnt mind seeing the reds sign vlad but thats me. Rios if the white soxs would take on the salary wouldn't be bad but i prefer heisey over any of these listed any day of the week. the only reason i don't see heisey starting is if they bring in a rios or someone of that caliber

Quote Originally Posted by jhu1321 View Post
    I wouldn't mind Rios but he's due $ 36 million over the next three years. Don't see the Reds absorbing that.
    If I'm not mistaken, the Cubs absorbed all but 3 million of Zambrano's cash. We might be able to get a similar deal.

Conor Jackson might be the most intriguing candidate on that list. His last season when he was fully healthy, he hit .300/.376/.446. That was 2008, and after that he contracted Valley Fever, lost 35 pounds and has struggled in his time in the Majors.

Over the last couple years, however, his SLG and ISO have improved, so it seems like he might be regaining some of the strength he lost during his illness. If he were actually healthy enough to repeat that 2008 line, I think he'd easily be the best option of the 10 listed.

I know people may think I am crazy but Manny Ramirez said the "door is open" for a minor league contract! The guy can hit!

True ManRam or Bonds what would here both have been cleared!!!?

Ludwick, Damon, Ordonez and JD might just be shells of there former selves, but I would take a chance on one of them. Low risk/ medium reward for a locker room guy who could help in spots.

Turn Off Ads?