Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #21 prospect?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • RHP Andrew Brackman

13 32.50%
  • RHP Tim Crabbe

27 67.50%

Thread: Prospect #21 Runoff

Prospect #21 Runoff

RHP Andrew Brackman, or RHP Tim Crabbe?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Prospect #21 Runoff

Crabbe for all the reasons explained in the last several threads. BTW, John Sickels has Crabbe at number 14. Brackman is not in the top 20.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Crabbe for all the reasons explained in the last several threads. BTW, John Sickels has Crabbe at number 14. Brackman is not in the top 20.
    Seconded. Brackman is a great guy, a local guy, but he still had a 7.0 BB/9. The Reds are already saying that he's being moved to the bullpen and I don't value bullpen arms that much. Crabbe has great stuff as well and exhibited much better control in 2011. There is a reason the Reds are giving him a shot in the AA rotation in 2012 and Sickels has him at #14.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Seconded. Brackman is a great guy, a local guy, but he still had a 7.0 BB/9. The Reds are already saying that he's being moved to the bullpen and I don't value bullpen arms that much. Crabbe has great stuff as well and exhibited much better control in 2011. There is a reason the Reds are giving him a shot in the AA rotation in 2012 and Sickels has him at #14.
    I think Brackman's a real sleeper who may prove to be a big acquisition, but at this point Crabbe is a better prospect.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Agree with all of the above reasons. Crabbe for me.

I have no objective reason to choose Brackman over Crabbe - Crabbe looks like somebody to really pay attention to. But, I'm can't help but think of Randy Johnson's mid 20s. Brackman showed in 2010 that he's capable of keeping the walks down. Maybe that was just young guys chasing stuff out of the zone, but I can't keep myself from dreaming on him.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I have no objective reason to choose Brackman over Crabbe - Crabbe looks like somebody to really pay attention to. But, I'm can't help but think of Randy Johnson's mid 20s. Brackman showed in 2010 that he's capable of keeping the walks down. Maybe that was just young guys chasing stuff out of the zone, but I can't keep myself from dreaming on him.
    Also why I went with him. Plus, I still think that Brackman has the stuff to start if he can indeed find some control, which is another reason I have him ahead of Crabbe, who I think is going to wind up in the bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Also why I went with him. Plus, I still think that Brackman has the stuff to start if he can indeed find some control, which is another reason I have him ahead of Crabbe, who I think is going to wind up in the bullpen.
    Has anything been announced about the way they're planning to use Brackman? I'd also like to see them give him a chance to start.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Has anything been announced about the way they're planning to use Brackman? I'd also like to see them give him a chance to start.
    Walt has said that he plans on using Brackman in the bullpen. Sorry, I don't have time to find the quote, I'm sure if you dug through the Brackman signing thread in the ORG you could find the quote.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Walt has said that he plans on using Brackman in the bullpen. Sorry, I don't have time to find the quote, I'm sure if you dug through the Brackman signing thread in the ORG you could find the quote.
    This. But, things happen. Fact is, the Reds are thin in the starting pitching department. If the situation comes up this year and Brackman has been showing off solid control, maybe he gets the spot start. And does well. Things could then change.

With Crabbe, he simply doesn't have three pitches at this point and has been a professional for several seasons now, meaning his chances of finding a workable third pitch are getting less and less with each game he throws. The Reds had him working out of the bullpen at times this season. That tells you that even they weren't sure he was going to work as a starter and find that third pitch.

Now, I am sure someone will say "well they probably feel that way with Brackman since he is said to be in the bullpen". Sure, I can see where you are coming from, but unlike Crabbe, he does have the pitches to actually start right now.

Turn Off Ads?