Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Bengals/Texans Playoff Game Thread

Re: Bengals/Texans Playoff Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    The only time they have went to the playoffs in recent years is when the schedule is weak. They have not won a single playoff game in two decades and Mike Brown isn't the problem?

You think it's just bad luck?
    More of a problem for us as fans. Do you think free agents consider how that 1996 season went when they're deciding who to sign with?

I'm not saying he's always been great, but in recent years he has done an excellent job. Instead of living in the past I'd rather look forward, and I like that we do have a foundation to build around.

To say that this years team's weaknesses were due to a lack of scouting and a true GM...I just don't buy that at all.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Well we've had the same GM for 21 years and haven't won a playoff game.

I don't know, you think that's a problem?
    I'm no fan of Mike Brown, but from what I've heard he's delegated draftiing and stays out of it for the most part. Based on the results I say it seems to be a positive. Of course, I live in Browns territory and I've seen them get all pumped up over a new GM like Holmgren, only to be disappointed. So I'm not going to get worked up about it. If they win, I'm happy. If they lose, I've got better things to stress about. Mike Brown is never going hire a GM. He's more likely to just hand over control to the head coach. If you want a GM, you might as well do a Mike Brown death watch.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    More of a problem for us as fans. Do you think free agents consider how that 1996 season went when they're deciding who to sign with?

I'm not saying he's always been great, but in recent years he has done an excellent job. Instead of living in the past I'd rather look forward, and I like that we do have a foundation to build around.

To say that this years team's weaknesses were due to a lack of scouting and a true GM...I just don't buy that at all.
    Free agents don't sign places that have 50% smaller weight facilities than every other team. They don't sign places where there is no indoor practice facility. They don't sign places where there is zero hope of winning a playoff game.

You are correct, 1996 doesn't matter, but when you look at the ownership as a whole, this is what you see (from Wikipedia):

Since Brown became owner, the team has had only 2 winning seasons out of 20 and has a winning percentage of .361 (115-204-1) in the regular season and .000 (0-2) in the playoffs.[24] In 2008, the Bengals set a record for the most games needed under one specific owner to attain 100 wins (288). In 2010, the team set a record for the least games needed to lose 200 (both considering and not considering playoffs) under one specific owner (314).[25]
    The Bengals hold a number of distinctions for the time frame of Brown's ownership: It is the only team with three nine-game-or-more losing streaks.[26] It also holds six of the twenty-five 0-6 starts (24%)[27] and four of the thirteen 0-8 starts (31%) in that time.[28] The Bengals have gone winless in October eight different times in twenty years under five different head coaches (Sam Wyche was originally hired by Paul Brown).

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I'm no fan of Mike Brown, but from what I've heard he's delegated draftiing and stays out of it for the most part. Based on the results I say it seems to be a positive. Of course, I live in Browns territory and I've seen them get all pumped up over a new GM like Holmgren, only to be disappointed. So I'm not going to get worked up about it. If they win, I'm happy. If they lose, I've got better things to stress about. Mike Brown is never going hire a GM. He's more likely to just hand over control to the head coach. If you want a GM, you might as well do a Mike Brown death watch.
    You're missing my point. I'm not saying that just because we get a GM we will win. Of course you have to have the right one.

But you have zero chance in finding the right one if you won't even look.

Free agents don't sign places that have 50% smaller weight facilities than every other team. They don't sign places where there is no indoor practice facility. They don't sign places where there is zero hope of winning a playoff game.

You are correct, 1996 doesn't matter, but when you look at the ownership as a whole, this is what you see (from Wikipedia):

Since Brown became owner, the team has had only 2 winning seasons out of 20 and has a winning percentage of .361 (115-204-1) in the regular season and .000 (0-2) in the playoffs.[24] In 2008, the Bengals set a record for the most games needed under one specific owner to attain 100 wins (288). In 2010, the team set a record for the least games needed to lose 200 (both considering and not considering playoffs) under one specific owner (314).[25]
    The Bengals hold a number of distinctions for the time frame of Brown's ownership: It is the only team with three nine-game-or-more losing streaks.[26] It also holds six of the twenty-five 0-6 starts (24%)[27] and four of the thirteen 0-8 starts (31%) in that time.[28] The Bengals have gone winless in October eight different times in twenty years under five different head coaches (Sam Wyche was originally hired by Paul Brown).
    I guess we just have different opinions then. I believe that if we continue to draft well and win football games we will become a sexier FA destination.

I'm not so much concerned about Mike Brown's past, I'm more interested in if he continues his recent run of successful drafts this next go around. We have a lot of really good pieces in place, we just need to put more talent around them.

The idea of promoting Marvin to GM is looking better and better after today. This is not the first playoff game he has burned challenges on silly plays, if I remember against the Jets a few yrs ago he did the same thing. I would promote Zimmer to HC and hope Gruden doesn't go to Jax so he can continue to develop Dalton. This team is one draft away and if they play their cards right we could be set for 5-10 seasons.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

That was just a pathetic performance by the Bengals.

They have a lot of draft picks coming up but they need two other things: Mike Brown needs to step down and turn over control to someone that actually knows something about football.

Next, Marvin Lewis needs to go. He's got a losing record as an NFL head coach and hasn't beaten a winning team all year.

I like Dalton and Green but the rest of the team is a sham.

The 'free agent' that the Bengals could have signed was Johnathon Joseph but little Mikey wouldn't put out the money that Houstan was willing to even though JJ was willing to play in Cincinnati. Mikey is too cheap. What a putz.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    I guess we just have different opinions then. I believe that if we continue to draft well and win football games we will become a sexier FA destination.

I'm not so much concerned about Mike Brown's past, I'm more interested in if he continues his recent run of successful drafts this next go around. We have a lot of really good pieces in place, we just need to put more talent around them.
    We can agree to disagree. I promise this criticism comes from the love I have for my hometown football team.

The one flaw in your argument is that you say "if we continue to draft well."

The bengals have had, what, two good drafts in twenty years? Just because they have been recently, doesn't mean we are on some sort of upswing.

And you have to look at Brown's past. To think that after twenty years he is a different guy because a few draft picks finally went his way...I'm not sold, and maybe I'm becoming a stubborn old man, but I really don't see a difference in this year's team.

You take away one of those ducks and put in a slightly better team on that schedule, and they're 8-8 and we're back to talking how lousy they are again.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    That was just a pathetic performance by the Bengals.

They have a lot of draft picks coming up but they need two other things: Mike Brown needs to step down and turn over control to someone that actually knows something about football.

Next, Marvin Lewis needs to go. He's got a losing record as an NFL head coach and hasn't beaten a winning team all year.

I like Dalton and Green but the rest of the team is a sham.

The 'free agent' that the Bengals could have signed was Johnathon Joseph but little Mikey wouldn't put out the money that Houstan was willing to even though JJ was willing to play in Cincinnati. Mikey is too cheap. What a putz.

Rem
    I thought the Texans overpaid for Joseph to be honest. He hadn't been very healthy in his seasons with the Bengals, I doubt they could afford to keep them both (Hall and Joseph).

Atkins, Dunlap, Whitworth. Gresham all look better to me than a sham.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

LaMichael James anyone?

Man talk about an agenda a playoff game thread spent railing against Mike Brown?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Man talk about an agenda a playoff game thread spent railing against Mike Brown?
    I have an agenda?

What is up with you?

I know I wear some pretty thick UC homer glasses, but the more I watched Isaiah Pead the more I was sold on him at the next level. He has all of the moves to make people miss, but I'd worry about his durability with his upright running style.

I have heard for two weeks now from the Cincy media(mostly radio) what a winnable game Baltimore was supposed to be...and then all this week what a winnable game this game was supposed to be....do the Cincy media even know what they are talking about?????..We just got beat by a 3rd string quarterback for the second time in 6 weeks....pathetic.....

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I thought the Texans overpaid for Joseph to be honest. He hadn't been very healthy in his seasons with the Bengals, I doubt they could afford to keep them both (Hall and Joseph).

Atkins, Dunlap, Whitworth. Gresham all look better to me than a sham.
    I like Atkins and Greshman but I'm not all that enammored with the other two

If Shippley comes back next year (alla Wes Walker) next year that would be a big help.

It still doesn't change my opiion that Mikey should step down and Marvin shoulp be fired.

Rem
    Last edited by remdog; 01-07-2012 at 10:06 PM. Reason: spelling
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

Turn Off Ads?