Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else doing the Paleo/Primal thing?

Anyone else doing the Paleo/Primal thing?

I did it kinda half-cheeked for a little last year and saw some pretty encouraging results. Now I'm going whole hog (ha, ha) this January.

A week and I've already taken my belt down a notch and my mood has elevated considerably. I guess we really are supposed to eat this way.

Breakfast: 3 hard boiled eggs, 1 sausage

Lunch: I 6oz can of salmon w/dab-o-may, 1 avocado, 4 or 5 string cheese sticks wrapped in turkey slices. 1 small apple

Dinner: I mix it up here. Either a rib-eye steak or groundbeef with veggies or half a chicken or a bunch of ribs plus a whole mess of veggies with whatever meat entree I choose. Tonight I'm going to grab a mess of oysters.

Before bed I have a glass of blueberry/coconut smoothie or tea with butter, yes butter.

Hunt, gather, repeat. Works for me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Anyone else doing the Paleo/Primal thing?

That doesn't sound too hateful. Sounds like quite a bit to eat, actually.

I'm doing the "3rd World Diet" this month... Beans, tortillas, rice, and oatmeal only. Of course, I'm taking vitamin supplements, but still, it sucks. But I am losing weight... I guess.

I'd strangle you for one of your string cheese sticks.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I did it kinda half-cheeked for a little last year and saw some pretty encouraging results. Now I'm going whole hog (ha, ha) this January.

A week and I've already taken my belt down a notch and my mood has elevated considerably. I guess we really are supposed to eat this way.

Lunch: I 6oz can of salmon w/dab-o-may, 1 avocado, 4 or 5 string cheese sticks wrapped in turkey slices. 1 small apple

Dinner: I mix it up here. Either a rib-eye steak or groundbeef with veggies or half a chicken or a bunch of ribs plus a whole mess of veggies with whatever meat entree I choose. Tonight I'm going to grab a mess of oysters.

Before bed I have a glass of blueberry/coconut smoothie or tea with butter, yes butter.

Similar to the way I eat, except I eat more beans. I love it. Went from 39 7/8" waist last November to 31 1/4" now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

So you know it's working if your knuckles start to drag the ground?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

A diet so easy.....

2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

I simply cut out all refined carbs and sugar. I'll have the occasional craving, but generally it's been pretty easy. Down 10 poounds (240 to 230 -- I'm 6'1") in a month.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Got any more info, rojo? I am trying to do the Suzzane Sommers thing. It worked for me a few years back. I'm 6' 1" and weigh around 200lbs. Would love to loose about 15 pounds, just to feel better and have a little more energy.

I'm thinking pretty seriously about trying this. Here's a shopping list I've been considering:

http://robbwolf.com/wp/wp-content/up...pping-list.pdf (PDF)

Moving this week into a new house so putting it off, but I think I'm going to do it once we are settled in.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I simply cut out all refined carbs and sugar. I'll have the occasional craving, but generally it's been pretty easy. Down 10 poounds (240 to 230 -- I'm 6'1") in a month.
    That's it, simplified. I should explain that the reason it's call "Paleo" or "Primal" (or "Warrior" or "Hunter/Gatherer") is because it follows the diet of our pre-agriculture ancestors.

Agriculture, so goes the reasoning, has been around about 10,000 years. But for 100,000 or more years before that, man ate meat, fish, forage, fruit and nuts. Grains, beans, legumes, dairy are all recent innovations that we've not fully evolved to eat.

Now, when I say we haven't "evolved" to eat these things, that's non entirely true. Our bodies have adapted. The enzimes that break down dairy, for example, developed about 3000 years ago, but are still absent for many people (not me, a Northern European mutt). Many people have adapted to grains, but not all of us and not in the same degree. American Indians and South Pacific Islanders, for example, have only recently had grains introduced into their diet and have grown huge and diabetic because of it.

Anyhow, it's not a walk in the park. I don't miss sweets so much, nor big plates of pasta but I miss the bread that accompanies many meals -- tortillas, sandwiches, cheeseburgers. It's also expensive, especially if you try to eat quality, grass-fed meat, like you should.

But, most people (especially men) loose weight quickly (just weighed myself this morning, 2lbs down in 5 days) without going hungry. I can put up with depriving myself of certain tasty foods, but I don't want to go hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I'm thinking pretty seriously about trying this. Here's a shopping list I've been considering:

http://robbwolf.com/wp/wp-content/up...pping-list.pdf (PDF)

Moving this week into a new house so putting it off, but I think I'm going to do it once we are settled in.
    Good list. I printed it out. Wolf is probably THE "paleo" guy. I got into via Mark Sisson, who's THE "primal" guy. There's some differences but they're basically the same thing. Sisson's site, with an informative forum, is here:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz1ioIUOhbk

I noticed wild caught salmon on the list. One money-saving tip: almost all canned salmon is wild caught. This is what I part of my lunch every day:

http://chickenofthesea.com/product_l...spx?did=480860

That's it, simplified. I should explain that the reason it's call "Paleo" or "Primal" (or "Warrior" or "Hunter/Gatherer") is because it follows the diet of our pre-agriculture ancestors.

Agriculture, so goes the reasoning, has been around about 10,000 years. But for 100,000 or more years before that, man ate meat, fish, forage, fruit and nuts. Grains, beans, legumes, dairy are all recent innovations that we've not fully evolved to eat.
    Right, I'm doing a very light version of the same idea. Our bodies didn't evolve to eat muffins and pasta. They can handle fats much better. And being able to eat as much as you want of the "good stuff" really helps. I've gotten to become a big fan of roasted broccoli or brussel sprouts with some parmesean or feta.

I should say the other big change I've made is drinking a lot more water -- like 10+ cups a day.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 01-07-2012 at 05:04 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I'd rather be fat and die ten years earlier than give up bread and pasta.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Now, when I say we haven't "evolved" to eat these things, that's non entirely true. Our bodies have adapted. The enzimes that break down dairy, for example, developed about 3000 years ago, but are still absent for many people (not me, a Northern European mutt). Many people have adapted to grains, but not all of us and not in the same degree. American Indians and South Pacific Islanders, for example, have only recently had grains introduced into their diet and have grown huge and diabetic because of it.

Anyhow, it's not a walk in the park. I don't miss sweets so much, nor big plates of pasta but I miss the bread that accompanies many meals -- tortillas, sandwiches, cheeseburgers. It's also expensive, especially if you try to eat quality, grass-fed meat, like you should.

But, most people (especially men) loose weight quickly (just weighed myself this morning, 2lbs down in 5 days) without going hungry. I can put up with depriving myself of certain tasty foods, but I don't want to go hungry.
    Our bodies have hard time breaking down meat however, not to mention the factory farm effect on the ecosystem.

Haven't eaten beef or pork in 23 years, chicken or fish 18 years, and here I am still ticking.

Moderation and exercise is the key to weight, and avoiding fast food and corn syrup sure helps bunches too.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Our bodies have hard time breaking down meat however, not to mention the factory farm effect on the ecosystem.
    Agree with the factory farm part. Not sure I agree with the "meat" party.

Haven't eaten beef or pork in 23 years, chicken or fish 18 years, and here I am still ticking.
    There's more than one way to skin a cat. Thing is, I eat more vegetables now than I did before, and probably more than a lot of vegetarians, who are often pastaterians.

Moderation and exercise is the key to weight, and avoiding fast food and corn syrup sure helps bunches too.
    Avoid fast food and corn syrup -- absolutely. Moderation is open to interpretation. Exercise? You need it. But without controlling your diet, it's hard to loose weight with just exercise.

Tonight: a mess of spare ribs, collard greens, both dosed liberally with sriracha and a couple (or more) of Four-Roses-and-sodas.
    Last edited by Rojo; 01-07-2012 at 11:44 PM.

Been slow cooking an English rump roast since last night. Mmmmmm. Try taking meat away from me and you'll see someone go primal!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?