Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: outfield help - Cepedes

outfield help - Cepedes

•A source says Cespedes' eventual contract will be in the range of four years and $32MM, writes MLB.com's Joe Frisaro. "Several teams have backed away" from Cespedes' original goal of an eight-year, $60MM contract.

He has the most upside of any player available at a position of need. Madson at closer would also improve the team. Agent Boras is frustrated with the closer market for Madson and said he would wait til sping training to get a contract for Madson (1 Year -10mil. ?)

How much payroll can the Reds add ?

Cepedes is best friends with Aroldis Chapman and will be available for free agency on Jan. 15th.

Is this the Reds next BIG Move?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: outfield help - Cepedes

id say no.

If he could help out big time this year I'd say go for it, but a lot of reports have him as a work in progress if I'm not mistaken. Not sure we want to spend 8 mil a year on something that's not a sure thing.

Quote Originally Posted by drowg14 View Post
    If he could help out big time this year I'd say go for it, but a lot of reports have him as a work in progress if I'm not mistaken. Not sure we want to spend 8 mil a year on something that's not a sure thing.
    this is what im scared of. +he's 26 right? not like he's 22.

Agreed, I don't think they'll target Cespedes.

I agree.

Its hard to tell if he is all hype or a instant star.

I wonder if the Reds have had contact with him and atended a workout or they view him as a over-rated money pit.

i am sure he does not make as much contact as stubbs

If he can't hit with Stubbs (your opinion) then the reds should steer clear

Gary Redus Ruled

Im hoping we come out of nowhere ala Chapman and sign him. However I dont think theyre interested. Hes the only talented FA left for left field.
    Hoping for another Reds October

I don't get. Keep this money in your back pocket for Votto's extension.

Rumors are that Cespedes could be had for 4 years, 32 million. He's 26 so we'll have him during some prime years, he's a physical freak, he's a RH bat with opposite field power we could use in the lineup and his natural position is CF. So he would more than likely be able to handle right while Heisey or Stubbs play CF. Some scouts are grading him at high 70's in power and speed. Dude is a beast. Longer swing and he's aggressive at the plate, but still doesn't strike out much. He holds the Cuban League single season home run record.

2009-10 Numbers in Cuba (in 87 games) .345/.426/.617 87 runs, 22 homers

2010-10 Numbers in Cuba (in 90 games) .333/.424/.667 89 Runs, 33 homers

"Arguably the best all-around player to come out of Cuba in a generation." - Kevin Goldstein, Baseball Prospectus

"He is real, very real" - Peter Gammons

Also in one of Cespedes' 20+ minute long videos he's seen wearing Reds gear while doing sit ups and bench press. Is he a fan? Does he know Chapman? Would he come here at a slight discount to be team mates?

If anything, the Reds must absolutely work him out. We have a real shot at signing this guy and I'd much rather go into the season with Heisey as a 4th OF than starting the majority of games. We have some money to play with this season and especially next year and the year after. If Votto leaves we're going to need a major bat in the lineup to maintain our momentum. I think Cespedes is a gamble worth taking. By his second year here he should be up to speed, and so should Mes. Add Votto and hopefully Bruce taking that next step and 2013 is a year where we could make a major run at a World Series title.

Madsen 4 years 40 mil or Cepedes 4 years 32 ?
    We have options at closer marshall, massett, arredondo, lecure
    Who hits between votto and bruce ? Heisey(part-time), Rolen (injuries), Frazier (no)

Instead of "saving the money for Votto" just trade Brandon Phillips at the deadline.
    Not to long ago Frazier was rated very high at second base.
    Also we still have Cairo, Valaika, Janish, and crazy depth in the minors at second base

frazier valaika cario janish will never even = clost to brandon p. also no way we win it this year if we trade him.

look at fraziers numbers so overrated its unreal

I like hesiey but he would be an interesting sign ecspeaily if you could flip Stubbs for a lock down closer. Don't forget mesoraco to hit between votto and bruce as well

I know he wouldnt help the reds this season but what about the other cuban outfielder avaible? He's 18 and scouting reports i've read said he has better raw tools than cepedes.

Turn Off Ads?