Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yoenis Cespedes

Yoenis Cespedes

Now the asking price is rumored to be down in the earthly range of 4yr/$32MM. Do the Reds have the available funds for this? Can the Reds afford another potential Chapman V.2? Granted, he's not a pitcher, so health concerns aren't quite as much of an issue, but still a realistic expectation. Is he an upgrade over Stubbs? That's a good bit cheaper than Beltran went to StL for, but Id hate to make that investment only to make him the highest paid player in AAA.

That said, I take the chance.

-Matt

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Yoenis Cespedes

If that is the cost do it. Heck if they ask me I'll even send the Reds 5 bucks if it gets it done.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Yes, the Reds could afford $32M over four years, especially if Votto isn't re-signed.

I've pondered this for a while. I'm not sure I pull the trigger. But I haven't seen him workout either. Isn't the ball in Cuba supposed to be similar to high A?

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    But I haven't seen him workout either.
    Well here you go.
    Yoenis Cespedes: The Showcase - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    wow... he is a freak of nature.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

I like what I've seen of him. And from reports, more than a few scouts like what they've seen also. I'd like to see the Reds take a shot. There is not a middle of the order bat in the top two levels of the Reds system (with the possible exception of Soto). They could really use him even if he takes the first month or two in Louisville or Pensacola to get acclimated.

I saw where they were handling it by having all interested teams submitted "sealed bids". Wonder if that helps ior hurts the Reds (that is, IF they bid).

I think I'd do it IF I could negotiate a TEAM option for a fifth year at the same rate potentially making it a five year 40 million but not being locked into the last year. That way you have that extra year for a couple years minors/up and down if he needs it and then three years of -hopefully- 12 million a year value from him (those first two training years have to be amortized into the last three in reality). I say this because all the reports I've read indicate he's highly talented but also raw and will definitely need at least a year or two in AA/AAA ball. If you really had guts and believed in him you might try to broker a deal that would take him into his decay stage beginning years - say a seven year deal for offered for $48 million. If I'm correct that would make him yours to age 33. His best prime years age wise. If you were right it would be steal. Of course if you blew it....

4 at 32 is easily within the Reds' range. It comes down to evaluation -- and I tend to trust Buckley's take on hitters. From what I've read, he likes Cespedes, which leads me to want the organization to get in on the bidding, aggressively.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I think I'd do it IF I could negotiate a TEAM option for a fifth year at the same rate potentially making it a five year 40 million but not being locked into the last year. That way you have that extra year for a couple years minors/up and down if he needs it and then three years of -hopefully- 12 million a year value from him (those first two training years have to be amortized into the last three in reality). I say this because all the reports I've read indicate he's highly talented but also raw and will definitely need at least a year or two in AA/AAA ball. If you really had guts and believed in him you might try to broker a deal that would take him into his decay stage beginning years - say a seven year deal for offered for $48 million. If I'm correct that would make him yours to age 33. His best prime years age wise. If you were right it would be steal. Of course if you blew it....
    No matter what contract he signs he is still bound by the MLBPA CBA. The signing team controls his first six years of major league service. The teams are really only negotiating money.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

I don't think anyone will outbid the Fish on him.

Quote Originally Posted by wlf WV View Post
    I don't think anyone will outbid the Fish on him.
    He has stated he doesn't want to play for Miami for some reason.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

He looks a bit large for CF, no? Still, I'd like to see the Reds get him and stick him in LF. Lowers the risk of injury and wear and tear on his legs.
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    He looks a bit large for CF, no? Still, I'd like to see the Reds get him and stick him in LF. Lowers the risk of injury and wear and tear on his legs.
    Looks like Andruw Jones to me.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Looks like Andruw Jones to me.
    Pre roid Sammy Sosa.

I am lukewarm on Cespedes. Ideally, the Reds would get an established major league outfielder for that much cash. Its a lot of money for a small market to risk on a complete unproven. Getting him would be better than doing nothing though. I really think this team needs an upgrade in its OF. Only one of Heisey and Stubbs should be starting most of the time. The two should combine for no more than 700 PAs IMO.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Turn Off Ads?