Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magglio Ordóñez

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Magglio Ordóñez

I think Magglio Ordóñez would be my next target to play LF part time and to help out with guys like Heisey,Frazier, and Francisco. If he can stay healthy he could hit .310 15-20 hr and knock in 60 rbi's and play anywhere from 90 - 110 games. just a thought maybe i'm wrong but he could be had for probly 5-7 million. I would do it would you?

Let the kids play!

Re: Magglio Ordóñez

I'd be more open to it if we had the DH as an option. Don't see how he holds up otherwise.

$5-7M is a lot of money for an over the hill injury risk. For $1-2M maybe! For a minor league contract definitely!

I watch a lot of Tigers baseball. Maggs can not get it done in the OF any more. His bat is sapped out of power. I would rather stay in house.

I don't think I would want Ordonez. He's had balky knees for a while, and I think he'd have a lot of trouble playing passably in left for a full season. At this point I think that the Reds need to do one of the following to shore up the outfield:

1. Let Chris Heisey start the season as the primary LF and sign a cheap veteran backup who can DH in interleague play (possibly JD Drew if healthy?)
    2. Sign Kosuke Fukudome as the primary LF and put his .360ish OBP in front of Votto while continuing to get Heisey significant time as the 4th OF
    3. Sign Yeonis Cespedes only if the Reds' scouts and brass think he's the real deal and can make an immediate impact

I think signing Fukudome is the safest path since you're getting a known quantity. Letting Heisey play makes sense if the Reds want to allocate more money to the bullpen or other area of need and really believe in his ability to become a full time starter. Signing Cespedes would obviously make the biggest splash but also has the chance to be a major disaster if he doesn't live up to his billing.

I'm personally leaning more and more towards signing Fukudome since I think this team already has enough power bats and could really use a high OBP guy in front of Votto. Thoughts?

Great argument for Fukudome, I agree
    Last edited by OGB; 01-07-2012 at 09:34 PM.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

I would like to sign both Fukodome and Cespedes.

1) Platoon Heisey and Fukodome while Cespedes starts in AAA.

2) If he looks ready you can trade either Heisey or Fukodome.

3) If Cespedes fails miserably it wouldnt be an albatross of a contract like Arroyo or Rolen because he plays a position where there is natural replacements on the roster (unlike Cairo playing most of the time in Rolens absence)

4) Becaus his contract isn't going to be for a 5 / $60M he would be tradable (especially to Kenny Williams or the Marlins)

5) We play home games at GABP and from what I've seen he has no problem putting the ball over the fence so even if in his first year or so he hit .260 with 20 HR and 75 RBIs I'd be cool with it especially Heisey as a part time player putting up .250 with 18/55!

6) It gives you another option for CF if Stubbs struggles again.

They should slide Ryan Hanigan's lifetime .371 OBP in front of Votto. But Dusty is waaaaayyy too smart for that. He would rather have someone who is fast but sitting next to him on the bench rather than someone who is slow and standing on first hitting in front of Votto.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    They should slide Ryan Hanigan's lifetime .371 OBP in front of Votto. But Dusty is waaaaayyy too smart for that. He would rather have someone who is fast but sitting next to him on the bench rather than someone who is slow and standing on first hitting in front of Votto.
    You're right on the money. Hanigan has been batting too far down in the order the entirety of his time here.

I also agree that Fukudome would be my pick of all the FA's outside of Cespedes. Having him in LF and Heisey as your 4th outfielder is a much better bet than Heisey playing the majority of the time and bringing up some kid from the minors who isn't ready, or getting a 40 year old player that Walt is buddies with. I'm just wondering what Fukudome could be had for, I've hardly heard anything about him this entire offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I like Hanigan, but I also don't think I'd put him at the top of the lineup. I think pitchers would be more willing to challenge him, and he'd get fewer free passes. He has a good eye, but he has definitely benefited a bit from hitting in front of the pitcher on a semi-regular basis.

I think he's more of a .340-.350 OBP guy if you move him to the top of the order. That's still pretty solid, but when you combine that with the fact that he'll probably only start 50% of the time in 2012, I think I'd leave Hanigan where he is since I value stability at the top of the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    I like Hanigan, but I also don't think I'd put him at the top of the lineup. I think pitchers would be more willing to challenge him, and he'd get fewer free passes. He has a good eye, but he has definitely benefited a bit from hitting in front of the pitcher on a semi-regular basis.

I think he's more of a .340-.350 OBP guy if you move him to the top of the order. That's still pretty solid, but when you combine that with the fact that he'll probably only start 50% of the time in 2012, I think I'd leave Hanigan where he is since I value stability at the top of the lineup.
    Hanigan, to be sure, isn't an ideal top-of-the-lineup hitter. But if the object is to get as many RBI opportunites for Votto and you look at the current Reds' options; Ryan isn't a bad choice.

I think they need a back up left fielder not someone to start unless you are going to put hesiey in center. Hesiey has earned a long trial in left with the combination of his minor league numbers and what he's done off the bench te last two seasons

Quote Originally Posted by alett12 View Post
    I think they need a back up left fielder not someone to start unless you are going to put hesiey in center. Hesiey has earned a long trial in left with the combination of his minor league numbers and what he's done off the bench te last two seasons
    My only question about Heisey playing every day in LF is where would you bat him in the order?

If its not in the 2 hole or 4 hole then I would think you need an upgrade. And if we do find an upgrade, personally I would rather keep Stubbs in the 6th-7th spot in the order. The dude is an above average OF who steals 30-40 SB a year. Yea he strikes out a lot but in a full year Heisey will strike out about 160-170 times. If you get rid of Stubbs we will have no speed on the roster. Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by dMaus14 View Post
    My only question about Heisey playing every day in LF is where would you bat him in the order?

If its not in the 2 hole or 4 hole then I would think you need an upgrade. And if we do find an upgrade, personally I would rather keep Stubbs in the 6th-7th spot in the order. The dude is an above average OF who steals 30-40 SB a year. Yea he strikes out a lot but in a full year Heisey will strike out about 160-170 times. If you get rid of Stubbs we will have no speed on the roster. Just my .02
    I would be fine with hesiey hitting 4th or 5th or even leading off because at this point cozart is hitting 2nd and there is nothing wrong with letting votto and Bruce hit back to back. As for the reds line up having no speed with out Stubbs hesiey has speed so do Phillips, cozart, and Bruce. So you can't say they don't have any speed.

Quote Originally Posted by alett12 View Post
    I would be fine with hesiey hitting 4th or 5th or even leading off because at this point cozart is hitting 2nd and there is nothing wrong with letting votto and Bruce hit back to back. As for the reds line up having no speed with out Stubbs hesiey has speed so do Phillips, cozart, and Bruce. So you can't say they don't have any speed.
    I don't know how much I like the idea of Heisey at the top of the order. He has shown impressive power the last two years, but his OBP has left something to be desired. I'm sure some of that is due to the fact that he has been pinch hitting a lot, but even as an every day player, I don't think he'll walk a ton. If the Reds can't find an upgrade, I'd probably hit Heisey 5th and see what he does. My lineup would look something like this:

1. Phillips
    2. Rolen
    3. Votto
    4. Bruce
    5. Heisey
    6. Stubbs
    7. Mesoraco/Hanigan
    8. Cozart
    9. Pitcher

Turn Off Ads?