Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 121

Thread: 2012 NFL Draft Discussion

  1. #106
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,539

    Re: 2012 NFL Draft Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I was wondering why Cleveland changed direction pretty quick and set it's sights on Flynn. Washington gave up too much on this deal and the only way to justify it is for them to get to the Super Bowl. Lot of pressure on RGIII to perform. I do like Washington's team though so it should be interesting to see how this plays out.
    As a Bengal fan, I'm glad the trade went down like it did. I was afraid he'd end up in our division. As for Flynn, there's going to be competition. Seattle and Miami are going to go hard after him too.

    I see a lot of Vince Young in RG3 but I didn't think Cam Newton would have the year he did either

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #107
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    333

    Re: 2012 NFL Draft Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    As a Bengal fan, I'm glad the trade went down like it did. I was afraid he'd end up in our division. As for Flynn, there's going to be competition. Seattle and Miami are going to go hard after him too.

    I see a lot of Vince Young in RG3 but I didn't think Cam Newton would have the year he did either
    RG3 is a much better passer than VY. He's also much more disciplined and unlikely to carry the baggage that came with Young. Everybody that talks to RG3 is blown away by how poised and intelligent he is. Vince Young, on the other hand, scored a 6 on the Wonderlic... If I was a GM, I would have a hard time giving up all those picks to move up to get Griffin, but I think he's going to be a star.

  4. #108
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,539

    Re: 2012 NFL Draft Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    RG3 is a much better passer than VY. He's also much more disciplined and unlikely to carry the baggage that came with Young. Everybody that talks to RG3 is blown away by how poised and intelligent he is. Vince Young, on the other hand, scored a 6 on the Wonderlic... If I was a GM, I would have a hard time giving up all those picks to move up to get Griffin, but I think he's going to be a star.
    Those are good points. What I'm bothered by are the mechanics. I see RG3 throw with his body facing the receiver instead of the Carson Palmer model of standing perpendicular to the WR and pointing your left shoulder to him. I also saw RG3 at Baylor either run or chuck a jump ball pass into the air when his primary WR was covered. He had a wonderful arm and a wonderful #1 WR so that strategy helped his stats immensely. Will he overcome that in the NFL? He might. We'll see but these are obstacles that more polished prospects don't have to

  5. #109
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    333

    Re: 2012 NFL Draft Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Those are good points. What I'm bothered by are the mechanics. I see RG3 throw with his body facing the receiver instead of the Carson Palmer model of standing perpendicular to the WR and pointing your left shoulder to him. I also saw RG3 at Baylor either run or chuck a jump ball pass into the air when his primary WR was covered. He had a wonderful arm and a wonderful #1 WR so that strategy helped his stats immensely. Will he overcome that in the NFL? He might. We'll see but these are obstacles that more polished prospects don't have to
    In this draft, I see Luck as the sure thing, but I could easily see Griffin having the better career.

    I agree that he doesn't have the best mechanics, but his accuracy hasn't really suffered because of it. Vince Young had bad mechanics, and it manifested itself in poor accuracy, whereas Griffin gets the ball to the target with good zip. He throws the deep ball as well or better than anybody in the NFL. And yes, he didn't show great ability to move to his 2nd and 3rd reads in college, but I think that was mostly a function of the offense that they ran. All the scouts at the combine were blown away by his knowledge of offense and progressions. No QB is a guarantee, which is why this was obviously such a risky move, but I think Griffin will be a great QB for the Redskins. Hopefully they're able to surround him with players after giving up so many draft picks though.

  6. #110
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,539

    Re: 2012 NFL Draft Discussion

    Considering that when the Bengals traded up from #5 to #1 to get Ki Jana Carter all they had to do was give up their 2nd rd pick, the haul here is amazing.

  7. #111
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: 2012 NFL Draft Discussion

    Let's see, a smarter, more disciplined, bigger & better passing version of Mike Vick? While steep I think it's will prove to be worth it for Cleveland.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  8. #112
    Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    890

    Re: 2012 NFL Draft Discussion

    You mean Washington.
    Choo got it, dude.

  9. #113
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    333

    Re: 2012 NFL Draft Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Considering that when the Bengals traded up from #5 to #1 to get Ki Jana Carter all they had to do was give up their 2nd rd pick, the haul here is amazing.
    There's no way the Rams could have gotten that haul in previous years. But with the new CBA, rookies aren't going to be getting the extreme contracts like in years past, so the 2nd pick is so much more valuable now. Plus they had a nice bidding war going. This could work out for both teams in the end if RG3 realizes his full potential, but St. Louis for sure hit the jackpot.

  10. #114
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,148

    Re: 2012 NFL Draft Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    As a Bengal fan, I'm glad the trade went down like it did. I was afraid he'd end up in our division. As for Flynn, there's going to be competition. Seattle and Miami are going to go hard after him too.

    I see a lot of Vince Young in RG3 but I didn't think Cam Newton would have the year he did either
    I agree 100%. I haven't decided if I think he's boom or bust, and of course it doesn't matter what I think, but I'm sure glad we won't find out if he's a revelation twice a year.
    If the trade doesn't go down and RGIII goes to Cleveland and is a bust, the Bengals are no better off then their current situation. If he's a boom, then all of a sudden there are four competent teams.
    When people say that I dont know what Im talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  11. #115
    Kmac5 KoryMac5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Waterloo, NY
    Posts
    3,681

    Re: 2012 NFL Draft Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    There's no way the Rams could have gotten that haul in previous years. But with the new CBA, rookies aren't going to be getting the extreme contracts like in years past, so the 2nd pick is so much more valuable now. Plus they had a nice bidding war going. This could work out for both teams in the end if RG3 realizes his full potential, but St. Louis for sure hit the jackpot.
    Makes me wonder what the Colts could have gotten for Luck. I imagine the bidding would have started with 3 first round picks, a second and perhaps a third. It could have possibly gone to 4 first round picks if enough teams were interested. You could fill a lot of holes with that haul.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

  12. #116
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: 2012 NFL Draft Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    You mean Washington.
    Yeah, thanks.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  13. #117
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,539

    Re: 2012 NFL Draft Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I agree 100%. I haven't decided if I think he's boom or bust, and of course it doesn't matter what I think, but I'm sure glad we won't find out if he's a revelation twice a year.
    If the trade doesn't go down and RGIII goes to Cleveland and is a bust, the Bengals are no better off then their current situation. If he's a boom, then all of a sudden there are four competent teams.
    Maybe we need Cleveland fans to chime in here but tell me how is it Holmgren wouldn't part with that 2nd 1st rd pick to move up? That was not a high 1st rd pick (Atlanta's). Being a Bengal fan, me thinks I'm going to be rooting hard for RGIII now to do well and continue the Browns' what if misery

  14. #118
    Member MikeThierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    3,547

    Re: 2012 NFL Draft Discussion

    As a Rams fan, I'm so happy that Daniel Synder lost his bloody mind. For a team that needs an influx of talent and is rebuilding, this trade will significantly help build a struggling Rams team for years. This trade blows away my idea on the Rams drafting Blackmon, but I'll take it.
    Our next home stand follows this road trip.

    I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah. says on the day before Easter

    Mike Shannon

  15. #119
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,782

    Re: 2012 NFL Draft Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Makes me wonder what the Colts could have gotten for Luck. I imagine the bidding would have started with 3 first round picks, a second and perhaps a third. It could have possibly gone to 4 first round picks if enough teams were interested. You could fill a lot of holes with that haul.
    That's probably what Peyton was telling Irsay weeks ago. Once they parted ways with Peyton, they had to get Luck(y).

    I'd be very happy if I were a Rams fan right about now.
    Go BLUE!!!

  16. #120
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,623

    Re: 2012 NFL Draft Discussion

    Cleveland is/was better off staying put and drafting Weeden in the second round anyway. Worst case scenario, they're bad enough to grab Barkley next season.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25