Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 NFL Draft Discussion

Re: 2012 NFL Draft Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    DeCastro is a potential Top 10 pick. I'd be surprised if he fell that low.
    It's pretty rare for guards to go that high

2. Turn Off Ads?

Somebody else I like for us is Donta Hightower and someone I think the Bengals will look at with pick #17. They hate taking OG's and Safeties in the 1st and they can take a CB with their 2nd 1st.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Somebody else I like for us is Donta Hightower and someone I think the Bengals will look at with pick #17. They hate taking OG's and Safeties in the 1st and they can take a CB with their 2nd 1st.
    I like Hightower, but he is more of a MLB (Maualuga) and the Bengals need a pass rushing LB more than somebody to roam the middle. Sad part is, I see him being drafted by the Ravens as the heir apparent to Ray Lewis or even the Steelers.

Someone else I would consider at OLB if he fell low enough is Vontaze Burfict from Arizona State. A LB core of Burfict-Maualuga-Rivers would be pretty nice for years to come.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It's pretty rare for guards to go that high
    Maybe he isn't Top 10 worthy, but I doubt he falls all the way down to 21. He's one of the most highly touted interior linemen in a long time. A lot of the mocks I've seen have him going to the Panthers at 8 or 9.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I like Hightower, but he is more of a MLB (Maualuga) and the Bengals need a pass rushing LB more than somebody to roam the middle. Sad part is, I see him being drafted by the Ravens as the heir apparent to Ray Lewis or even the Steelers.

Someone else I would consider at OLB if he fell low enough is Vontaze Burfict from Arizona State. A LB core of Burfict-Maualuga-Rivers would be pretty nice for years to come.
    I thought Burfict is more of an ILB as well? Either way I wouldn't bank much on the future of Keith Rivers. I wouldn't be surprised if he's not on the team by this time next year.

Also, Maulauga really needs to improve in my book. While I loved him in college, the jury is still out on him as a pro in my opinion.
    Go BLUE!!!

If Claiborne, Kirkpatrick, and Barron are all off the board, Stephon Gilmore is a CB that reminds me a lot of Jonathan Joseph. I'd still prefer the three guys I mentioned (plus DeCastro, Richardson and Floyd) but he may be a guy to keep an eye on at 21.

I have zero interest in Nebraska CB Alfonzo Dennard.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

Actually he is a very good pass rusher (Hightower) even though he is so big. Rey has been a solid pick but we need playmakers and let the best man win. Although I think Rey would stay on the field just fine with Donta outside.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 01-13-2012 at 11:47 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Actually he is a very good pass rusher even though he is so big. Rey has been a solid pick but we need playmakers and let the best man win. Although I think Rey would stay on the field just fine with Donta outside.
    Rey has been ok, a NFL starting caliber LB, but nothing spectacular. I think more than anything else the Bengals need a playmaker in their back 7.

I am curious towards the Alabama guys. Are they a combination of good players in a great system or individually great players?
    Last edited by bucksfan2; 01-13-2012 at 11:46 AM.

While in years past, I admittedly frequently get enamored with certain players and want the Bengals to trade up to get them, I feel strongly that this is not the year for that. The Bengals are a couple of key players/positions away from being a real contender, and they need all of their top picks this year to address those needs, unless they plan on going all Reds-like via FA in the offseason.

They need to find a starter at S, CB, WR, both OG positions, and possibly a RB. It will take two first round picks, a second round pick, and at least one or two key FA signings to do all of that. So while I like Richardson, if he goes off the board before 17, so be it. We have other needs to address, and like I said earlier, I wouldn't mind signing Hillis to a one-year deal.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Rey has been ok, a NFL starting caliber LB, but nothing spectacular. I think more than anything else the Bengals need a playmaker in their back 7.

I am curious towards the Alabama guys. Are they a combination of good players in a great system or individually great players?
    I would say Rey has been average at best, maybe even a little below. Can anyone say with confidence that he was noticeably better in the middle than Dhani Jones the year before?

Odell Thurman in his rookie year was significantly better than Rey was this year. You know, before the meth and all that...
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I would say Rey has been average at best, maybe even a little below. Can anyone say with confidence that he was noticeably better in the middle than Dhani Jones the year before?

Odell Thurman in his rookie year was significantly better than Rey was this year. You know, before the meth and all that...
    Pretty much spot on. I think Rey has been better than Dhani but that has more to do with the age difference of the two. I think Rey has the skills to get better but too many NFL players fall into that category.

Odell was a very good LB, especially when it came running sideline to sideline. What could have been.........

Re-Sign Reggie Nelson, Pat Sims, Either Howard or Lawson...and T Collins.

Say goodbye to Simpson and Caldwell....Benson.....Crocker....and all their Guards that are unsigned.

Look to sign a good Guard for one side and draft one in the 1st along with a Center in the 1st or 2nd. S and CB are next with RB and WR next after that.

8 picks in 5 rounds (Chad Johnson trade/ Joseph comp pick and Palmer trade)

This should bring them something for almost all needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post

Say goodbye to Simpson and Caldwell....Benson.....Crocker....and all their Guards that are unsigned.

Look to sign a good Guard for one side and draft one in the 1st along with a Center in the 1st or 2nd. S and CB are next with RB and WR next after that.

I like this plan with a couple quibbles:
    1. I'd bring back BOTH Howard and Lawson. I liked what they brought more than Rivers, who could be their backup.
    2. I wouldn't draft a center in the first two rounds. I agree that we should sign one OG in FA (either Nicks or Grubbs) and draft another, then I would use the other top two picks on a WR and a DB unless Richardson somehow fell to us.
    3. Then I'd sign Michael Bush in Free Agency.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post

Two things: Howard signed a two year deal, so he's set, and there's no comp pick for Joseph, because the Bengals gained more in free agency than they lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Two things: Howard signed a two year deal, so he's set, and there's no comp pick for Joseph, because the Bengals gained more in free agency than they lost.
    That's terrible. How do they figure they gained more?

Turn Off Ads?