Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 NFL Draft Discussion

Re: 2012 NFL Draft Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Two things: Howard signed a two year deal, so he's set, and there's no comp pick for Joseph, because the Bengals gained more in free agency than they lost.
    I don't think so. In terms of number of players sure we gained more overall but the formula isn't about quantity as much as it is about quality. I could be wrong about gaining a 3rd for him but I doubt it falls any further down than a 4th. Size of contract (both length and value), how well they played, postseason awards etc. go in to the formula. Nate Clements also doesn't count against the formula because he was cut by his former team. It's in essence Lawson & Rivers vs. Joseph and Evan Mathis and Mathis is roughly equal to those LB's in this equation. The very fact Howard got a 2 year deal and played fairly well may knock that 3rd to a 4th but I just can't see why it would drop lower.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 01-13-2012 at 07:25 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Also, Maulauga really needs to improve in my book. While I loved him in college, the jury is still out on him as a pro in my opinion.
    At the time, I was angry at the Rams for drafting James Laurinaitis over Maulauga but I am so glad they did now. Laurinaitis is one of the best MLB's in the game. If not for Patrick Willis, Laurinaitis would probably get a pro-bowl pick, even being on a putrid Rams team.

My question to Bengals fans is what is wrong with Maulauga? Why hasn't he taken it to the next step?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    At the time, I was angry at the Rams for drafting James Laurinaitis over Maulauga but I am so glad they did now. Laurinaitis is one of the best MLB's in the game. If not for Patrick Willis, Laurinaitis would probably get a pro-bowl pick, even being on a putrid Rams team.

My question to Bengals fans is what is wrong with Maulauga? Why hasn't he taken it to the next step?
    I was cool with either at the time but I guess I just really liked the fact he could be an impact type MLB who could be the face of our defense. Personally I think he is a solid guy but he isn't quite as athletic as I hoped which hurts him all the way around. His instincts are good but they also aren't quite as good as I hoped. He is solid but unspectacular, that's what I'd like to see at least in one of the LB's. I could live with him in the middle if we had someone really dynamic next to him on one side or the other.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I was cool with either at the time but I guess I just really liked the fact he could be an impact type MLB who could be the face of our defense. Personally I think he is a solid guy but he isn't quite as athletic as I hoped which hurts him all the way around. His instincts are good but they also aren't quite as good as I hoped. He is solid but unspectacular, that's what I'd like to see at least in one of the LB's. I could live with him in the middle if we had someone really dynamic next to him on one side or the other.
    It's kind of interesting. There seems to be a lot of dynamic MLB's in the game but not a whole lot of outstanding OLB's in the league. Are we in a time where there is a talent drought in that position? I know from the Rams standpoint, they scoured all throughout the league to fill this position but it just seemed there was just a bunch of average guys out there.

It's kind of interesting. There seems to be a lot of dynamic MLB's in the game but not a whole lot of outstanding OLB's in the league. Are we in a time where there is a talent drought in that position? I know from the Rams standpoint, they scoured all throughout the league to fill this position but it just seemed there was just a bunch of average guys out there.
    Might have something to do with the fact you have the 3-4 and cover 2 defenses in so many places. Along with the 4-3 that is 3 really different types of OLB. Which is part of the reason I like Hightower, he can play in a 34 or 43 and I think he is plenty athletic enough and strong enough to play anywhere in either of those 2 defenses and frankly he could play in a cover but most likely as a MLB in that only (Urlacher-esque). He could be a real difference maker at LB at 6'4 260 Lbs and can run very well. He's darn near a 4-3 DE.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I don't think so. In terms of number of players sure we gained more overall but the formula isn't about quantity as much as it is about quality. I could be wrong about gaining a 3rd for him but I doubt it falls any further down than a 4th. Size of contract (both length and value), how well they played, postseason awards etc. go in to the formula. Nate Clements also doesn't count against the formula because he was cut by his former team. It's in essence Lawson & Rivers vs. Joseph and Evan Mathis and Mathis is roughly equal to those LB's in this equation. The very fact Howard got a 2 year deal and played fairly well may knock that 3rd to a 4th but I just can't see why it would drop lower.
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...ookie-favorite

The number of players is the key. Here's the key part of the story:

Since cornerback Johnathan Joseph signed with the Texans in late July, many have been wondering if the Bengals will receive a compensatory pick when those are announced at the league meetings in March. In light of the rules and one similar case, the Bengals aren’t counting on one.

Compensatory picks are doled out through a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors, but the key ingredient is there has to be a net loss of unrestricted free agents, which the Bengals did not have. The Bengals lost Joseph, offensive guard Evan Mathis and tackle Kirk Chambers. They signed linebackers Thomas Howard and Manny Lawson, quarterback Bruce Gradkowski and tight end Bo Scaife.

I've noticed something with USC players during the Pete Carroll era in that their MLB and safeties are "heavy hitters" who have no clue what to do in coverage. Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews are pass rushers who have done well in the NFL, but it seems Rey and Taylor Mays haven't made the transition to the NFL.

At one point Maualuga was in discussion to be a mid first round pick. His stock slipped I think based on that reason. Bengal fans (including myself) thought we had the second coming of Ray Lewis, only to realize the significant deficiencies in his game.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

OLB's (especially hybrid DE-OLB) have such a high bust rate it's not even funny. You really don't even see the contending teams who need them draft them.

Vernon Gholston is likely the most recent that comes to mind for me. I know there's others.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I've noticed something with USC players during the Pete Carroll era in that their MLB and safeties are "heavy hitters" who have no clue what to do in coverage. Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews are pass rushers who have done well in the NFL, but it seems Rey and Taylor Mays haven't made the transition to the NFL.

At one point Maualuga was in discussion to be a mid first round pick. His stock slipped I think based on that reason. Bengal fans (including myself) thought we had the second coming of Ray Lewis, only to realize the significant deficiencies in his game.
    Good point about the heavy hitter aspect of USC players. Laurinaitis doesn't make the highlight reel tackles but very rarely misses tackles and is one of the best cover MLB's in the game. I think what scared the Rams away from Maualuga was some off the field stuff but also his intelligence as far as football is concerned. Laurinaitis was off the chart when it came to football smarts.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...ookie-favorite

The number of players is the key. Here's the key part of the story:

Since cornerback Johnathan Joseph signed with the Texans in late July, many have been wondering if the Bengals will receive a compensatory pick when those are announced at the league meetings in March. In light of the rules and one similar case, the Bengals aren’t counting on one.

Compensatory picks are doled out through a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors, but the key ingredient is there has to be a net loss of unrestricted free agents, which the Bengals did not have. The Bengals lost Joseph, offensive guard Evan Mathis and tackle Kirk Chambers. They signed linebackers Thomas Howard and Manny Lawson, quarterback Bruce Gradkowski and tight end Bo Scaife.

Pathetic. I mean really.....you lose Jospeh who is basically an All Pro. Mathis who was graded one of the top Guards in the NFL.....and beacuse the Bengals sign 2 boderline starters and 2 backups who hardly play.... since they equal 4 and Bengals only lose 3...you get no comp pick?

Forget U NFL.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

FWIW, Mel Kiper Jr. projects the Bengals to draft Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska at #17 and Lamar Miller, RB, Miami (Fla.) at #21.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

I'm starting to wonder if Dre Kirkpatrick will fall given his arrest for possession.

If that happens, im thinking its between him and Janoris Jenkins for the first CB pick.

Cordy Glenn will be the second pick IMO. Marvin has shown that he loves players from Georgia for some reason:

David Pollack
    Odell Thurman
    Clint Boling
    Geno Atkins
    AJ Green

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    FWIW, Mel Kiper Jr. projects the Bengals to draft Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska at #17 and Lamar Miller, RB, Miami (Fla.) at #21.
    I hope he is wrong. I would rather have Stephon Gilmore than Alfonzo Dennard. My first round targets are Mark Barron and Cordy Glenn and pray to God that Gilmore falls to the second round.
    Let's get weird!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by izzy's dad View Post
    Would anybody else be willing to trade up to get Trent Richardson? He is my first choice, but if landing him is not going to happen, then in the first round I would like to see a cornerback, and a guard/safety.
    No offense, but I wouldn't draft Trent Richardson with any pick in the first OR second round. The modern NFL is a pass-first league, and it's simply a waste of your time to draft running backs with high-round picks.

Scout the college landscape and find a back that can catch out of the backfield and carry the ball 10-12 times per game and you'll be fine. Workhorse backs are dinosaurs rapidly going extinct.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    No offense, but I wouldn't draft Trent Richardson with any pick in the first OR second round. The modern NFL is a pass-first league, and it's simply a waste of your time to draft running backs with high-round picks.

Scout the college landscape and find a back that can catch out of the backfield and carry the ball 10-12 times per game and you'll be fine. Workhorse backs are dinosaurs rapidly going extinct.
    I agree, I wrote that post about a month ago I think. I have slowly come to the realization that the NFL has changed. Almost any decent back can have success with a good offensive line and a passing game to lift the safetys out of the box. It is clear to me now that the offensive line, and secondary should be priority in this draft. It is hard for me to imagine an NFL without the 20-30 carry Emmit Smith type backs.
    Let's get weird!

Turn Off Ads?