Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 NFL Draft Discussion

Re: 2012 NFL Draft Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    At the time, I was angry at the Rams for drafting James Laurinaitis over Maulauga but I am so glad they did now. Laurinaitis is one of the best MLB's in the game. If not for Patrick Willis, Laurinaitis would probably get a pro-bowl pick, even being on a putrid Rams team.

My question to Bengals fans is what is wrong with Maulauga? Why hasn't he taken it to the next step?
    There's a reason a projected Top 10-15 pick fell to the 2nd round. He can only play on the field 2/3 of the downs. Oh, and he's a drunk.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    FWIW, Mel Kiper Jr. projects the Bengals to draft Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska at #17 and Lamar Miller, RB, Miami (Fla.) at #21.
    BTW, Dennard was absolutely torched by Alshon Jeffery in the bowl game. That's what lead to both guys being ejected.

Also, Lamar Miller looks nice, but he is soooooo soft. And by soft, I mean he's constantly injured. He's not a bruising back and this was his first year as the feature back and there were multiple games where he went out with an injury.

I'm not saying he can't be good, but there is definitely some risk with him and he's not a 1st/2nd round back in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    There's a reason a projected Top 10-15 pick fell to the 2nd round. He can only play on the field 2/3 of the downs. Oh, and he's a drunk.
    You talking about James Laurinaitis?

I've seen a mock where my team, KC, would be picking Richardson, at 11. Intriging but if you look at the top 6-7 RBs in the league, none of them were drafted in the 1st round, and 1 went undrafted, so better than average RBs, can be had later. I would love to see the Chiefs grab Hightower. 11 may be too high, but for a DROY contender, I'd sure take him.

Most of the mock draft updates I have seen this week have us taking Dre Kirkpatrick cb/Alabama at #17, and Lamar Miller rb/Miami at #21. Most are thinking that Kirkpatrick will fall to the Bengals at #17 because of his recent marijuana arrest. If he does indeed fall to Cinci at #17 I will be thrilled. I don't like the Lamar Miller pick, I would rather go offensive line or Mark Barron if he is still available. David Wilson is going mid to late 2nd round in most mocks, I would be more comfortable with him in the second. A couple of mocks I have seen lately have the Bengals selecting Michael Floyd wr/Notre Dame with the #17 pick. I think this is an interesting idea. The idea of having Floyd and Green is very tempting. Giving Dalton another weapon is great, but I think giving him better protection and a steadier ground game is more important. But, with Simpson being a free agent, and not likely to return I would think that receiver would need to be addressed either in the draft or via free agency. In a perfect world David Decastro and Dre Kirkpatrick land in our laps.
    Let's get weird!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Nut View Post
    I've seen a mock where my team, KC, would be picking Richardson, at 11. Intriging but if you look at the top 6-7 RBs in the league, none of them were drafted in the 1st round, and 1 went undrafted, so better than average RBs, can be had later. I would love to see the Chiefs grab Hightower. 11 may be too high, but for a DROY contender, I'd sure take him.
    Peterson, Forte, Chris Johnson all were drafted in the first round and I would imagine would be considered in the top 6-7 RB's in the NFL. You can include McFadden as well who was playing very well until he got hurt this year.

I agree that there is value to be had late in the draft when talking about RB. But to say that the top 6-7 weren't drafted in the first round is wrong.

Isaiah Pead played a heck of a Senior Bowl. I've said it a lot, but I really hope the Bengals find a way to get him.

Edit: He just won the MVP of the Senior Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    No offense, but I wouldn't draft Trent Richardson with any pick in the first OR second round. The modern NFL is a pass-first league, and it's simply a waste of your time to draft running backs with high-round picks.

Scout the college landscape and find a back that can catch out of the backfield and carry the ball 10-12 times per game and you'll be fine. Workhorse backs are dinosaurs rapidly going extinct.
    Tell that to Detroit and GB. Heck tell it to Dallas who was much better with an effective RB on the field. An effective RB is a must whether you pass it alot or not. So if you can get one you get one. How many touches are the playoff teams RB's getting these days? Not less, maybe more diverse in the way they get it though. And Richardson is a guy who can be like a Rice or Foster and such. I like Dalton but I'd feel much better about his ability to consistently lead the Bengals down the field to score if he had a guy in the backfield that teams were wary of.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Tell that to Detroit and GB. Heck tell it to Dallas who was much better with an effective RB on the field. An effective RB is a must whether you pass it alot or not. So if you can get one you get one. How many touches are the playoff teams RB's getting these days? Not less, maybe more diverse in the way they get it though. And Richardson is a guy who can be like a Rice or Foster and such. I like Dalton but I'd feel much better about his ability to consistently lead the Bengals down the field to score if he had a guy in the backfield that teams were wary of.
    Funny you mention Ray Rice and Arian Foster. Rice was a second round pick and Foster went undrafted.

The Patriots, Saints, and Packers are really the only playoff teams that don't rely on a running game, and two of those are out of the playoffs.

RB is a high paid-high risk position in the first round. You're committing a TON of money to a guy who the odds are stacked against immediately. I'd rather use the money on the best players available in the first and take a RB in the second or third rounds.

My pick= LaMichael James. A scatback, but is a pass catching threat out of the backfield and would be a dynamic return guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Don't have a link but there is a rumor that Pittsburgh is going to offer a position to former WVU HC Bill Stewart. Like I said I don't have a link or know what he's being looked at but if he's an OC potential then all I have to say is...

and be prepaired to MATCH THE MOUNTAINS!!!

Please ask him about KICKOFFS!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Funny you mention Ray Rice and Arian Foster. Rice was a second round pick and Foster went undrafted.

The Patriots, Saints, and Packers are really the only playoff teams that don't rely on a running game, and two of those are out of the playoffs.

RB is a high paid-high risk position in the first round. You're committing a TON of money to a guy who the odds are stacked against immediately. I'd rather use the money on the best players available in the first and take a RB in the second or third rounds.

My pick= LaMichael James. A scatback, but is a pass catching threat out of the backfield and would be a dynamic return guy.
    If Richardson falls to us he is by far the best player available. I get the whole argument against them but if he is there I'm taking him especially when I have 2 1st round picks. James is a guy I would consider later on as well along with a guy like Chris Rainey as 3rd down backs. If you can convince me Miller/Polk or one of these other guys will be nearly as good as Richardson well then I'm all for it but I don't see it in this particular case.

Until I know Dalton is the 2nd coming of Drew Brees and the rest of the offense is capable of that type of explosion then I want a dynamic stud in the backfield. Sure offenses can work just fine without a stud back but can ours? Maybe isn't good enough for me to pass right now. Not to mention I am a proponent of running the ball and controlling the clock which is the most cost effective way to win ball games. I don't believe this has went out of style it's just not the flavor of the month.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Peterson, Forte, Chris Johnson all were drafted in the first round and I would imagine would be considered in the top 6-7 RB's in the NFL. You can include McFadden as well who was playing very well until he got hurt this year.

I agree that there is value to be had late in the draft when talking about RB. But to say that the top 6-7 weren't drafted in the first round is wrong.
    I guess I should have included the phrase "this season"...my bad. I would agree AP, CJ, and the others are top RBs.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

Just to put this to bed (this past season):

AFC North:
    Buffalo: Fred Jackson(undrafted)
    Miami: Reggie Bush(2nd overall pick, largely considered a bust, Saints gave up on him)
    New England: Benjarvus Green-Ellis(undrafted)
    New York: Shonn Greene (3rd round)

AFC North:
    Baltimore: Ray Rice(2nd round)
    Cincinnati: Cedric Benson(4th overall pick by the Bears. Numerous problems in Chicago, turned it around in Cincinnati)
    Cleveland: Peyton Hillis(7th round, drafted as a FB by Denver)
    Pittsburgh: Rashard Mendenhall(late 1st round pick)

AFC South:
    Houston: Arian Foster(undrafted)
    Indianapolis: Joseph Addai (late first round, been very injury prone)
    Jacksonville: Maurice Jones-Drew (2nd round)
    Tennessee: Chris Johnson (late first round)

AFC West:
    Denver: Knowshon Moreno (12th overall pick, passed by Willis McGahee)
    KC: Jamaal Charles (3rd round)
    Oakland: Darren McFadden (4th overall pick, inconsistent and injury prone)
    San Diego: Ryan Matthews (12th overall pick, turning heads in second year)

NFC East:
    Dallas: DeMarco Murray (3rd round)
    NY Giants: Ahmad Bradshaw (7th round)
    Philadelphia: LeSean McCoy (2nd round)
    Washington: Tim Hightower (5th round)

NFC North:
    Chicago: Matt Forte (2nd round)
    Detroit: Jahvid Best (late 1st round, injury prone)
    Green Bay: Ryan Grant (undrafted)
    Minnesota: Adrian Peterson (7th overall)

NFC South:
    Atlanta: Michael Turner (5th round)
    Carolina: DeAngelo Williams (27th overall), Jonathan Stewart (13th overall)
    New Orleans: Pierre Thomas (undrafted), also Mark Ingram (late first round)
    Tampa Bay: LeGarrette Blount (undrafted)

NFC West:
    Arizona: Beanie Wells (late 1st round)
    San Fran: Frank Gore (3rd round)
    Seattle: Marshawn Lynch (12th overall pick, on second team)
    St Louis: Steven Jackson (late 1st round)

Out of this list:

15 first rounders, 8 of which were taken late in the first round.
    4 second rounders
    4 third rounders
    0 4th rounders
    2 5th rounders
    0 6th rounders
    2 7th rounders
    6 undrafted
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    15 first rounders, 8 of which were taken late in the first round.
    4 second rounders
    4 third rounders
    0 4th rounders
    2 5th rounders
    0 6th rounders
    2 7th rounders
    6 undrafted
    Nice work.

I don't think RB is the type of position you want to use a top draft pick on. I do agree that you can find value late in the draft at RB. But I also think that many of the impact backs have come early and often in the draft. IMO the only true difference maker who went undrafted was Arian Foster. Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't James Harrison go undrafted at LB? Undrafted stars happen in the NFL. With the excpetion of possibly QB you can find these undrafted stars littered all over the NFL.

The Bengals have had Rudi and Benson as their last two backs. Both were nice players but hardly guys who you would consider game breakers. You throw a game breaking back in the Bengals offense and they are much more dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    No offense, but I wouldn't draft Trent Richardson with any pick in the first OR second round. The modern NFL is a pass-first league, and it's simply a waste of your time to draft running backs with high-round picks.

Scout the college landscape and find a back that can catch out of the backfield and carry the ball 10-12 times per game and you'll be fine. Workhorse backs are dinosaurs rapidly going extinct.
    I disagree.

It all depends on needs. I have seen Richardson to the Chiefs and in that instance I agree with you. They have Charles and even though they love the two back system wasting a first round pick on a 15-17 touch per game person does not seem like good business when you can get a good running back later.

But if you are a team with no back then I can see taking Richardson in first round. Especially if you think he is Peterson/Jones-Drew good.

Everything is needs. I hear the same argument about "Never take a safety with a high pick." Well, if you need a safety and feel one guy is head and shoulders above every other safety prospect then take him. Great players are great players. If you have a chance to take one you take him and sort out everything else later, IMO.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Turn Off Ads?