Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: 2012 NFL Draft Discussion

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Re: 2012 NFL Draft Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by izzy's dad View Post
    Floyd carries more baggage than Posey. He may not be a burner, but Posey is faster than most of the recievers projected to go in the first or second rounds IE: Sanu, Jeffrey, Blackmon. I am not saying he is a guy that should be drafted in the first three rounds, but he is worth a look if he gets to round four or beyond. I think he can develop into a decent #2, but that would be his peak in my opinion. I still think having local guys can be a minor draw for some fans, but that is just my opinion. Of course all of this could be pointless depending on what they do in free agency.

... I just did some research and I from what it looks like most of the recievers in this years draft are not your typical 4.3-4.4 guys. I was wrong when I said that Posey is faster than all of those guys. He is right around a 4.5 along with Blackmon, Jeffery, Floyd, and Sanu. Wright has those guys beat by a mile, he seems to be the only WR capable of running a 4.3 this year. All of this of course could go right out the window next week at the combine. So I will eat my serving of crow, but I still think around the 4-5 round range is where Posey should go.

EDIT: In my defense Posey did look a lot more agile than the other two guys (Floyd, Sanu), but that was in shorts and a t shirt. Also, he appeared to be in much better shape than Floyd and Sanu.
    I don't think you are wrong in suggesting Posey is faster than alot of those other guys, I am pretty confident he is. He has average NFL WR speed those others you mentioned are a tick or in some cases 2 ticks below that. Floyd seems like about a 4.55 type and Jeffery and Sanu seem closer to 4.60 in my estimation. And Posey is definitely more agile and quick IMO. Posey will likely be a better value I think than at least those latter 2 if not all 3. I suspect it'll be Blackmon, Wright, Floyd in the early then mid, then late 1st round (probably in that order). And those other 3 in the mid to late 2nd early 3rd but depending on needs could fall further. Sanu & Jeffrey had better seasons and seemingly have better publicists than Posey. Posey's weakness is that he doesn't really stand out that much in any regard, he's solid but unspectacular pretty much across the board. Jeffery and Sanu have size and assumed strength and therefore have an advantage as RZ targets. Not sure about hands but I seen that show you seen (at least part of it and Posey "out hands'ed" them in that, FWIW the others seemed more nervous than he).

BTW 4.3 - 4.4 isn't very typical, most are mid 4.4 to mid 4.5. Doesn't seem like a lot but it is quite a difference.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I don't think you are wrong in suggesting Posey is faster than alot of those other guys, I am pretty confident he is. He has average NFL WR speed those others you mentioned are a tick or in some cases 2 ticks below that. Floyd seems like about a 4.55 type and Jeffery and Sanu seem closer to 4.60 in my estimation. And Posey is definitely more agile and quick IMO. Posey will likely be a better value I think than at least those latter 2 if not all 3. I suspect it'll be Blackmon, Wright, Floyd in the early then mid, then late 1st round (probably in that order). And those other 3 in the mid to late 2nd early 3rd but depending on needs could fall further. Sanu & Jeffrey had better seasons and seemingly have better publicists than Posey. Posey's weakness is that he doesn't really stand out that much in any regard, he's solid but unspectacular pretty much across the board. Jeffery and Sanu have size and assumed strength and therefore have an advantage as RZ targets. Not sure about hands but I seen that show you seen (at least part of it and Posey "out hands'ed" them in that, FWIW the others seemed more nervous than he).

BTW 4.3 - 4.4 isn't very typical, most are mid 4.4 to mid 4.5. Doesn't seem like a lot but it is quite a difference.
    I don't disagree with you in the slightest. Posey as a fourth rounder seems like a better value pick than any of those other guys. I could be wrong, I probably am. For what it's worth, I also have Ryan Broyles as a target, but not before the fourth round. This team has too many more critical needs to be taking a reciever before round 4/5. The free agent market is very deep with #2 type WR, I would rather make a play on one of them than use an early draft pick to get a guy that may not help right away.
    Let's get weird!

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Not a Browns fan, but if they had any sense they would draft RG3/Kendall Wright in the 1st, and Chris Polk in the 2nd if he's there. Then maybe their fans would have something to believe in.
    Choo got it, dude.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Not a Browns fan, but if they had any sense they would draft RG3/Kendall Wright in the 1st, and Chris Polk in the 2nd if he's there. Then maybe their fans would have something to believe in.
    I don't disagree with you, but RGIII falling to 4 is highly unlikely to happen.

The Rams and Vikings both have holes and will look to stockpile picks. Of course, if the Rams love Matt Kalil or the Vikings decide to go with Justin Blackmon, that could change. The Redskins and Dolphins could look to move up and if the Browns stand pat, they lose RGIII.

If it were me, I would go with Trent Richardson and Kendall Wright in the first and give Colt McCoy one more year with the added weapons. If he can't do it, the Browns will be likely in an ideal spot to draft Matt Barkley or Landry Jones next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I'm about ready for the Redszone Mock Draft !!

Stephen Hill's numbers at the combine were unbelievable, especially for someone as big as he is.
    Choo got it, dude.

Stephen Hill's numbers at the combine were unbelievable, especially for someone as big as he is.
    He's solid. Most people didn't hear much about him because of Paul Johnson's run run run and run some more offense. He will certainly improve any team's receiving corps.

Yeah, I could see him sneaking into the first round. Maybe with the 49ers?
    Choo got it, dude.

Sounds as if Isaiah Pead helped himself at the combine.

Isaiah Pead/RB/Cincinnati: Pead's running back skills were possibly the best of any ball carrier who took the field Sunday. He effortlessly cut against the grain during drills and never slowed down changing direction. Pead showed great balance and body control all afternoon then effectively caught the ball as the session ended.
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.

The St. Louis Rams have decided to trade the No. 2 pick, league sources said Monday.

According to sources, the Rams already have had trade discussions with the Cleveland Browns (No. 4), Washington Redskins (No. 6) and Miami Dolphins (No. 8), each of whom is scheduled to pick in the top eight in April's draft.
    Smart move.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/sto...ck-sources-say
    "I have just been more than a little suspect of all the trades since the Willy (Scott Williamson) cash grab. That one left such a bad taste in my mouth that even a 1985 Dom Pérignon couldn't cleanse it." -- Creek14

Guys that really impressed me: Doug Martin, his workout was solid, and if Marshall Faulk likes your game you can count me in too. Isaiah Pead, had a great combine. Can he carry the ball 20+ times a game? Probably not, but this is an NFL where a back doesn't have to pound it all day long. Dontari Poe (spelling?), if you watched his workouts I need not say more. Lamar Miller, his combine was nice. But can he stay healthy? Cordy Glenn, there is no doubt in my mind he could fix our LG problem for years to come. Michael Floyd, didn't think he was that fast. He looked locked in during his drills. Devier Posey, ran a much faster 40 than was anticipated. Showed crisp routes, and good hands. Had a rough drill at the combine, though I can't recall what it was. Could be a great value pick in rounds 4 or 5. Zach Brown, he is big, fast and productive... what else do you want in an OLB? Stephen Hill, along with Poe probably had the best combine. Not only was he fast, but stood out in the WR drills along with Michael Floyd. Anyway, that's my two cents. Not saying that these are guys that the Bengals should or will target in the draft, just sharing my impressions.
    Let's get weird!

6' 4" Sub 4.4 speed reminds me of Chris Henry. I'm not a big fan of drafting WR's alot of the time but guys like him excite me, opens up the field for everyone. Granted not sure I'd be for spending a high pick on a raw WR unless they don't re-sign Simpson but we have enough guys underneath to just basically have him run 2-3 routes for awhile (Go, post, slant maybe a curl now and then). We have alot of options depending on what happens in FA. I think Hill is a solid mid 2nd rounder at worst.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    6' 4" Sub 4.4 speed reminds me of Chris Henry. I'm not a big fan of drafting WR's alot of the time but guys like him excite me, opens up the field for everyone. Granted not sure I'd be for spending a high pick on a raw WR unless they don't re-sign Simpson but we have enough guys underneath to just basically have him run 2-3 routes for awhile (Go, post, slant maybe a curl now and then). We have alot of options depending on what happens in FA. I think Hill is a solid mid 2nd rounder at worst.
    I'd be OK with Stephen Hill in the 2nd, not the 1st at this point. Ditto for Alshon Jeffery. We should not give Simpson anything more than the league minimum (to be our #4 WR).
    Go BLUE!!!

Guys that really impressed me: Doug Martin, his workout was solid, and if Marshall Faulk likes your game you can count me in too. Isaiah Pead, had a great combine. Can he carry the ball 20+ times a game? Probably not, but this is an NFL where a back doesn't have to pound it all day long. Dontari Poe (spelling?), if you watched his workouts I need not say more. Lamar Miller, his combine was nice. But can he stay healthy? Cordy Glenn, there is no doubt in my mind he could fix our LG problem for years to come. Michael Floyd, didn't think he was that fast. He looked locked in during his drills. Devier Posey, ran a much faster 40 than was anticipated. Showed crisp routes, and good hands. Had a rough drill at the combine, though I can't recall what it was. Could be a great value pick in rounds 4 or 5. Zach Brown, he is big, fast and productive... what else do you want in an OLB? Stephen Hill, along with Poe probably had the best combine. Not only was he fast, but stood out in the WR drills along with Michael Floyd. Anyway, that's my two cents. Not saying that these are guys that the Bengals should or will target in the draft, just sharing my impressions.
    Yeah Poe was the star of the show no doubt. A 350 pounder doing what he done is almost unheard of, Ngata territory. Have liked Martin all along but he likes to put the ball on the ground a bit much, fix that and he is a horse I'd love to have in the 2nd. But Miller, David Wilson and Pead all done really well also and would be fine additions. Another back was Turbin who done well and is a big back, something I like personally. I'm torn between Miller/Wilson/Martin. Like Millers wheels, Martins hands and size and Wilson isn't far off from either. C. Glenn did impress. Kuechly really solidified himself and he's one I wouldn't hate getting. Bobby Massie OT Mississippi I think raised his stock and in the process I think moved past Zebrie Sanders in the 2nd. Massie may be the next Whitworth. Could be an intriguing Bengals pick considering we need OG's now and depth at OT with Collins and Roland being FA's, plus Andre Smith being a FA in the not so distant future.

I'm thinking with how well these RB's done it made Richardsons stock drop some. If you can get someone like Martin in the 2nd or Pead in the 3rd why bother taking a RB in the 1st? No doubt some teams will feel this way and focus on less available positions, should allow for Richardson not to get picked too early. I'm almost to the point where I wouldn't hate passing on Richardson in the right scenario.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I'd be OK with Stephen Hill in the 2nd, not the 1st at this point. Ditto for Alshon Jeffery. We should not give Simpson anything more than the league minimum (to be our #4 WR).
    I disagree I think people get to concerned about some things. Simpson can be a good starting WR in this league, he wasn't that bad last year though he does need to improve in some areas and he still has some considerable upside yet. Needs to have better focus, do better coming back to the ball, and really the rest is time and practice. The off the field issues I can sort of see but if you aren't signing him to start then don't sign him at all. I don't want anything to do with those big slow WR's Jeffrey, Sanu etc. If not Simpson sign a FA like Meachem or Manningham maybe draft Hill as a replacement for Caldwell.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 02-28-2012 at 03:55 PM.

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?