Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: 2012 NFL Draft Discussion

Re: 2012 NFL Draft Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I was wondering why Cleveland changed direction pretty quick and set it's sights on Flynn. Washington gave up too much on this deal and the only way to justify it is for them to get to the Super Bowl. Lot of pressure on RGIII to perform. I do like Washington's team though so it should be interesting to see how this plays out.
    As a Bengal fan, I'm glad the trade went down like it did. I was afraid he'd end up in our division. As for Flynn, there's going to be competition. Seattle and Miami are going to go hard after him too.

I see a lot of Vince Young in RG3 but I didn't think Cam Newton would have the year he did either

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    As a Bengal fan, I'm glad the trade went down like it did. I was afraid he'd end up in our division. As for Flynn, there's going to be competition. Seattle and Miami are going to go hard after him too.

I see a lot of Vince Young in RG3 but I didn't think Cam Newton would have the year he did either
    RG3 is a much better passer than VY. He's also much more disciplined and unlikely to carry the baggage that came with Young. Everybody that talks to RG3 is blown away by how poised and intelligent he is. Vince Young, on the other hand, scored a 6 on the Wonderlic... If I was a GM, I would have a hard time giving up all those picks to move up to get Griffin, but I think he's going to be a star.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    RG3 is a much better passer than VY. He's also much more disciplined and unlikely to carry the baggage that came with Young. Everybody that talks to RG3 is blown away by how poised and intelligent he is. Vince Young, on the other hand, scored a 6 on the Wonderlic... If I was a GM, I would have a hard time giving up all those picks to move up to get Griffin, but I think he's going to be a star.
    Those are good points. What I'm bothered by are the mechanics. I see RG3 throw with his body facing the receiver instead of the Carson Palmer model of standing perpendicular to the WR and pointing your left shoulder to him. I also saw RG3 at Baylor either run or chuck a jump ball pass into the air when his primary WR was covered. He had a wonderful arm and a wonderful #1 WR so that strategy helped his stats immensely. Will he overcome that in the NFL? He might. We'll see but these are obstacles that more polished prospects don't have to

Those are good points. What I'm bothered by are the mechanics. I see RG3 throw with his body facing the receiver instead of the Carson Palmer model of standing perpendicular to the WR and pointing your left shoulder to him. I also saw RG3 at Baylor either run or chuck a jump ball pass into the air when his primary WR was covered. He had a wonderful arm and a wonderful #1 WR so that strategy helped his stats immensely. Will he overcome that in the NFL? He might. We'll see but these are obstacles that more polished prospects don't have to
    In this draft, I see Luck as the sure thing, but I could easily see Griffin having the better career.

I agree that he doesn't have the best mechanics, but his accuracy hasn't really suffered because of it. Vince Young had bad mechanics, and it manifested itself in poor accuracy, whereas Griffin gets the ball to the target with good zip. He throws the deep ball as well or better than anybody in the NFL. And yes, he didn't show great ability to move to his 2nd and 3rd reads in college, but I think that was mostly a function of the offense that they ran. All the scouts at the combine were blown away by his knowledge of offense and progressions. No QB is a guarantee, which is why this was obviously such a risky move, but I think Griffin will be a great QB for the Redskins. Hopefully they're able to surround him with players after giving up so many draft picks though.

Considering that when the Bengals traded up from #5 to #1 to get Ki Jana Carter all they had to do was give up their 2nd rd pick, the haul here is amazing.

Let's see, a smarter, more disciplined, bigger & better passing version of Mike Vick? While steep I think it's will prove to be worth it for Cleveland.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

You mean Washington.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Considering that when the Bengals traded up from #5 to #1 to get Ki Jana Carter all they had to do was give up their 2nd rd pick, the haul here is amazing.
    There's no way the Rams could have gotten that haul in previous years. But with the new CBA, rookies aren't going to be getting the extreme contracts like in years past, so the 2nd pick is so much more valuable now. Plus they had a nice bidding war going. This could work out for both teams in the end if RG3 realizes his full potential, but St. Louis for sure hit the jackpot.

I agree 100%. I haven't decided if I think he's boom or bust, and of course it doesn't matter what I think, but I'm sure glad we won't find out if he's a revelation twice a year.
    If the trade doesn't go down and RGIII goes to Cleveland and is a bust, the Bengals are no better off then their current situation. If he's a boom, then all of a sudden there are four competent teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    There's no way the Rams could have gotten that haul in previous years. But with the new CBA, rookies aren't going to be getting the extreme contracts like in years past, so the 2nd pick is so much more valuable now. Plus they had a nice bidding war going. This could work out for both teams in the end if RG3 realizes his full potential, but St. Louis for sure hit the jackpot.
    Makes me wonder what the Colts could have gotten for Luck. I imagine the bidding would have started with 3 first round picks, a second and perhaps a third. It could have possibly gone to 4 first round picks if enough teams were interested. You could fill a lot of holes with that haul.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    You mean Washington.
    Yeah, thanks.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I agree 100%. I haven't decided if I think he's boom or bust, and of course it doesn't matter what I think, but I'm sure glad we won't find out if he's a revelation twice a year.
    If the trade doesn't go down and RGIII goes to Cleveland and is a bust, the Bengals are no better off then their current situation. If he's a boom, then all of a sudden there are four competent teams.
    Maybe we need Cleveland fans to chime in here but tell me how is it Holmgren wouldn't part with that 2nd 1st rd pick to move up? That was not a high 1st rd pick (Atlanta's). Being a Bengal fan, me thinks I'm going to be rooting hard for RGIII now to do well and continue the Browns' what if misery

As a Rams fan, I'm so happy that Daniel Synder lost his bloody mind. For a team that needs an influx of talent and is rebuilding, this trade will significantly help build a struggling Rams team for years. This trade blows away my idea on the Rams drafting Blackmon, but I'll take it.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Makes me wonder what the Colts could have gotten for Luck. I imagine the bidding would have started with 3 first round picks, a second and perhaps a third. It could have possibly gone to 4 first round picks if enough teams were interested. You could fill a lot of holes with that haul.
    That's probably what Peyton was telling Irsay weeks ago. Once they parted ways with Peyton, they had to get Luck(y).

I'd be very happy if I were a Rams fan right about now.
    Go BLUE!!!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Cleveland is/was better off staying put and drafting Weeden in the second round anyway. Worst case scenario, they're bad enough to grab Barkley next season.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?