Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kerry Wood

Kerry Wood

Assuming he and Cordero would cost about the same (based on his salary for the Cubs last year) does it make sense for the Reds to look at him as a potential closer? I'd much rather have him than CoCo.....

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Kerry Wood

He would be as much as CoCo from what I been reading around 4MM. Yes take him and( Ardamis) on minor and the Cuban OFer.

It would probably cost a pretty penny to get him to leave the cubs but I would prefer him over coco

If the price is about the same, I'd prefer Wood to Cordero. Wood is less durable, but his peripherals look much better than Cordero's. In addition, signing Wood instead of Cordero nets the Reds that coveted supplemental first round pick.

I think the only question I have is whether or not Wood would want to play for Baker. I've never read anything about Wood blaming Baker for ruining his arm, but almost all of Cub nation seems to believe that's the case. I wonder if he harbors any resentment towards Baker or if there's nothing to that angle at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    If the price is about the same, I'd prefer Wood to Cordero. Wood is less durable, but his peripherals look much better than Cordero's. In addition, signing Wood instead of Cordero nets the Reds that coveted supplemental first round pick.

I think the only question I have is whether or not Wood would want to play for Baker. I've never read anything about Wood blaming Baker for ruining his arm, but almost all of Cub nation seems to believe that's the case. I wonder if he harbors any resentment towards Baker or if there's nothing to that angle at all.
    Good question. In Wood's final seasons as a Cubs starter he threw around 215 innings. Doesn't seem that excessive......

Go 1 year plus club option.

Question remains: Does he close?

If you could sign Wood and Cordero for a combined $7M would you? Your bullpens would be:

CL - Cordero
    SU - Marshall and Wood
    MR - Bray, Ondrusek, Masset
    LR - LeCure

MAYBE
    Well yes I would only sign Wood and the Cuban outfielder
    Last edited by BEETTLEBUG; 01-10-2012 at 05:17 PM.

I would not sign both (actually I wouldn't sign Cordero either way). Would save any excess cash for Ludwig or Fukudome.

So its unanimous: everyone would prefer a guy with one save over the last two years to a guy with 77 saves over the last two years? Makes sense.

I'm taking coco over Wood for sure! Especially if they're asking the same price. Just look at the numbers over the past few years, there is no comparison. Cordero is more durable and a better closer by far. I'm not saying that Coco is my ideal closer but I will take him over Wood no question

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    So its unanimous: everyone would prefer a guy with one save over the last two years to a guy with 77 saves over the last two years? Makes sense.
    +1

A non-knee-jerk-anti-Cordero reaction on Sun Deck, write the date down!
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Wood actually has 9 saves over the past two seasons, but that's a moot point really. I think the save is a pretty meaningless statistic. Wood has experience closing games and I have no doubt that he can get the job done just about as well as Cordero has for the past four years. The only question mark (and I admit, it's a pretty big question mark) is Wood's durability. That does give me some pause.

In any event, I don't want to let Cordero walk just because I don't like the guy or anything like that. On the contrary, I think he's a stand up guy, and he's done a fantastic job finishing out games for the Reds for four years. Unfortunately, he'll be 37 next year, and his K/9 rate has fallen each of the last four years. He's in decline, and the Reds are in a position to collect a free draft pick in the top 50 if he walks. That's important now more than ever since the Reds need to restock the system following a couple of big trades.
    Last edited by Alpha Zero; 01-10-2012 at 06:18 PM.

Just say no to coco. IF Wood is signed, Marshall will be the closer, anyways.
    For me, I want Madson over both. Case Closed.

Turn Off Ads?